Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-01-2014, 02:27 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Thanks for the heads-up on capitulation. It takes some guts to do that AND to post about it.
Heck yeah man, I at least wait to see if I was right to decide whether to post about it later.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2014, 02:33 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Eh, if one feels lucky he can go on margin. A true market timer would not let shortage of cash keep him from trading. Just sayin'...
True but my aversion to risk won't allow such shenanigans.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:43 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have gone on margin before, but for only about 2% of portfolio. I usually keep 20-25% in cash, and no less than 15%, but much of it is in I-bond which I do not want to cash out, or in 401k stable value funds, and occasionally I want to make short-term trades in my after-tax accounts where I may not have that much free cash.

So, in 2010 during a market downturn I went on margin for 2%, while I still had net cash. It was intended for a short-term move, but then it stretched out to a few months. The margin interest that they charged was fairly high at 8 or 9%. So, for a 3 month duration it cut quite a bit into my profit.

I have not done that since, but will not rule out such option if the market tumbles hard.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 02:46 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recall there have been several studies that show maintaining at least 25% equities has less risk (over time) than being all fixed income. The other problem with market timing is that you have to be right twice. Are you felling lucky? Well are ya!
Old 08-01-2014, 03:31 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

There are so many flavors of market timing. To name a few:
1) Following moving averages (200 day, 150 day, 50 day, exponential moving averages, etc).
2) Hunches based on light analysis
3) Bets based on thorough single company analysis
4) Timing overall allocation based on some fundamental and technical indicators

Then there are different time periods to hold the equities. Seconds, days, months, years.

I do not think all of these are equally smart or equally stupid. Some of them are definitely gambling. A *very* few of them interest me.

There have been some long term winners doing market timing. I'm thinking of unpublished ones that occasionally surface in magazine articles. Thee is never enough information to quite understand the methods and to be honest the success is not fully documented. An example is private money run by Edward Thorp (math professor at UC Irvine, wrote Beat the Dealer about card counting for poker in the 1960's).

For some market timing is like a beautiful blond female mirage.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 03:35 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
+1

No one here would ever behave like this guy...
With trading account, I tend to get in at 7, and get out at 18 or 19. Don't make much money that way but I am not very greedy when I gamble.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 05:37 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
With trading account, I tend to get in at 7, and get out at 18 or 19. Don't make much money that way but I am not very greedy when I gamble.
Hmmm...if you can let me know how you get a 157% gain I would like to be "not very greedy" too!
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Hmmm...if you can let me know how you get a 157% gain I would like to be "not very greedy" too!
I wish. I was referring to Rewahoo's chart "points."
Old 08-02-2014, 05:24 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

DH was so happy to get the grants finished from our donor-advised fund late this week, and I'm looking at the Thursday market drop and thinking "ouch!"

But accounts are still nicely up since the start of the year, so it really doesn't matter.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:30 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTravlin View Post
Not market timing but I did get lucky and replenish my cash position close to the peak.
How do you know it was "the peak"?
Old 08-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Buying the dips has been the right move every time for the last three years.

It will work until it doesn't.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
wingfooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 07:27 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
How do you know it was "the peak"?
Maybe an intermittent peak?
Old 08-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

There are so many flavors of market timing. To name a few:

1) Following moving averages (200 day, 150 day, 50 day, exponential moving averages, etc).

2) Hunches based on light analysis

Lsb, In reality, I think all of my trades have been #2. Though in MY mind at the moment of execution, I have convinced myself it was detailed, researched based intensive analysis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #74
Administrator

I'll admit to market timing. I had some cash I had been waiting to put to work, so I bought $125k of SDY at 11:45 am(EST) yesterday. We'll see how that works out.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:39 AM   #75
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I'll admit to market timing. I had some cash I had been waiting to put to work, so I bought $125k of SDY at 11:45 am(EST) yesterday. We'll see how that works out.
Were you deciding between several different ETFs?
Why SDY?
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:32 PM   #76
Administrator

SDY has more of a "value" orientation than a straight SPY investment. I've favored that end of the spectrum since the day I read Benjamin Graham's The Intelligent Investor for the first time. DIV would have been another alternative, but I already have a large amount of that.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:22 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob boag View Post
It would have been a brutal hit but my assets are indeed nearly 100% in IRAs.
My opinion is that your AA must have been wrong, or you would have made a smaller tactical move.

Given the week's market moves, and usual summer doldrums, you actually are ahead, now. Do you have a plan for getting back to a different AA?

We discussed, and moved, about 2% small/midcap to stable value last week.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:31 AM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

With all the noise about a pending major market correction, here's a dissenting opinion:

History says don’t count on a big correction anytime soon

Quote:
Chadha says big corrections are unusual mid-cycle, which is where he reckons we are right now. Instead, three-fourths of such corrections happen near recessions (measured as one year on either side) — and almost never occur when the trend in the unemployment rate is down, Chadha writes.

Chadha also downplays the scope of the current rally when stacked up versus other mid-cycle runs. While the average rally between corrections has been 43% over 1 1/2 years, Chadha says the averages are skewed by short rallies interrupted by frequent corrections around crises and recessions. A better comparison are the “long business cycles” of the 1960s, 1980s, 1990s and 2000s, he says, when the stock-market rallies averaged 110% and lasted four years.
Knowing my market timing track record, I'd be sitting on the sidelines in cash when the downturn suddenly reversed itself, leaving me on the sidelines while the market continued to climb.

Then again, the OP may be the smartest guy in the room...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MW-CP238_correc_MG_20140801131550.jpg (83.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #79
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
SDY has more of a "value" orientation than a straight SPY investment. I've favored that end of the spectrum since the day I read Benjamin Graham's The Intelligent Investor for the first time. DIV would have been another alternative, but I already have a large amount of that.
Even here at least 50% of people don't follow Graham's "The Intelligent Investor"
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:56 PM   #80

Wheeeeeeee ... bring on a market correction please. Let's get it over with and take the DOW industry average to 25000 . I am tired of OMY. Retire early, I will.