Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Do you think he is right?
Yes 25 19.38%
No 104 80.62%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-27-2009, 06:23 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ah! That's another confirmation of investor's "risk averse" behavior.

When he loses a buck, it hurts like disembowelment. Yet, when he makes a buck, he doesn't feel the equivalence of joy.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:29 PM   #82
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
It would take more than that for me to feel like a genius...
$8.75?

Old 07-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus

At $8.75 I may not feel like a genius, but I might start to feel a bit smug...
Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 AM   #84
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I got greedy and it burnt me...

DW's company stock has been on fire lately so we decided to sell some and lock in the gains. The stock was trading at $7.92 and had been on an up trend all morning, so I placed a limit order at $8. When the stock price hit $7.98 it brutaly turned around to end the day below $7.5... Trying to make a few extra dollars ended up costing thousands. Dumb.
Limit and stop orders are deadly. A few years ago, I had over a thousand shares of a well-known GPS developer's stock. It had risen about 300% in the two years I had it. We went on a ten day cruise in Europe so I placed a stop order to sell at about 30% below the current price as "armageddon insurance" because I didn't want watch the market while on vacation. I thought I was smart. Well, some institution apparently decided to unload a huge block and the price dropped like a rock on the opening, I got stopped out, and the next AM it rebounded 50% and was back to near its high again in a week or so. Though I made a good profit from my buy point, I "lost" about $30K relative to the rebound price. I was so clever I was stupid. I'll never put in an auto sell or buy order again.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:51 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWPC View Post
Limit and stop orders are deadly. ... We went on a ten day cruise in Europe so I placed a stop order to sell at about 30% below the current price as "armageddon insurance" because I didn't want watch the market while on vacation. ... I got stopped out, and the next AM it rebounded 50% and was back to near its high again in a week or so.

I'll never put in an auto sell or buy order again.
Consider buying a PUT. You can totally protect your downside, and 30% below the current price would probably be pretty cheap. Yet, you still participate in the upside (minus the cost of the PUT).

Like any insurance, you feel like you "wasted" your money if you didn't need it, but I think it can be the best solution for a case like this. I've considered them when I want to hold a position through an earnings announcement or other reports that could swing the stock dramatically. Also, if I want to hold a stock a little longer to get Long Term Cap gains, you can use a PUT to protect you, so you don't end up giving your tax money back to the market.

I don't like stop-loss orders either. I think a limit buy can make sense at times.

-ERD50
Old 03-29-2010, 09:33 AM   #86
Dryer sheet wannabe

I just love a guru who makes a headline grabbing prediction. Note especially the stupid precision of the forecast. When will they learn
Old 03-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #87

I generally like Schilling and every once-in-awhile punch his name into the search column to see if he has come up with anything new lately. Totally disappointed in his prediction. Waaaay off the mark.
Old 03-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #88
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Personally I am waiting for the great beanie baby rebound....
Noooo!!!!!!

Women found me in the back hallways everyday at the mall to ask if I had beanie babies on my truck that day. They would wait in their cars at the docks of stores for me. In NYC our semis were being hijacked for the beanie babies! It got so bad that Ty would split shipments between all the freight carriers and could no longer notify the stores who, how many or when they were arriving. Orchidflower - not to worry, they created a monster and were terrorized by it for a long time!

The market: seems okay to me. People are purchasing items way too much the same as always and I know because I deliver a lot of those items. We may see a slow down (in the economy) when people crank up their 401k contributions again and they have less disposable income. The economy will look worse but stocks will rise is my guess.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #89

I like the Calculated Risk blog, and they publish this chart every once in a while, so I figured that I would mirror it here. A little perspective doncha know?
Old 03-29-2010, 07:41 PM   #90

I guess it's the end of the world-again!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #91
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I guess it's the end of the world-again!
What? ANOTHER apocalypse? Sheesh. I might have to rebalance my portfolio again.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:20 PM   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Could y'all be a bit more specific on when the crash is coming? I have a few more covered calls I wouldn't mind selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
What? ANOTHER apocalypse? Sheesh. I might have to rebalance my portfolio again.
I try to limit my apocalypse rebalancing to no more than two per year...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I try to limit my apocalypse rebalancing to no more than two per year...
Me too!!!

Audrey
Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM   #94
Recycles dryer sheets

I just voted in the poll. I was right Sometimes I amaze myself

I get up at 7 yeah, and I go to work at 9. Got no time for livin yes I'm workin all the time. Seems to me I could live my life a lot better than I think I am. I guess thats why they call me the Working Man.
DJRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 09:52 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
I like the Calculated Risk blog, and they publish this chart every once in a while, so I figured that I would mirror it here. A little perspective doncha know?
40 year & 80 year Market Cycles

If you like technical analysis and a historical perspective you might like the above. It isn't for everyone.
We are in a secular bear market - started in 2000. Secular bear markets have lasted as long as 18years (?).