Market watch retirement calculator

karen1972

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I ran across this calculator and was wondering if others had experience with it and had thoughts?

I found it interesting because it was the only tool I saw where in the advanced options it allowed you to put in different inflation rates for different types of things..such as you can put health care in at 10% inflation.

Or maybe the question is.. does anyone know of any other tools that allow you to adjust different categories differently?

Retirement Planning Tool - Visual Calculator

I tested this calculator and think it's an OK simple calculator. Because my retirement financial plans are more complex than some, and because I wanted to model and minimize taxes, I tried many of the recommended free ones and ended up buying ESPlanner. ESPlanner lets you set inflation rates for individual items, special spending categories, and many other things. I am very satisfied with it and think it's worth every penny. That comes from a LBYM person who tried everything else before parting with $150.

the thing is obviously wrong - it says I can continue in retirement...

I have used that retirement planner (and a 1000 others...), and it seems to work OK. I believe it assume a constant rate of return.

Never rely on past performance, Monte Carlo, or steady return calculators alone. Use them all, and make sure you are ready to go no matter what happens. Remember, the future is unknown.

And make sure you have a bit of cushion. The amount of cushion I have would probably make others think it's too much, but I know I will not be coming back to cubicle work. Ever.

Back
Top Bottom