Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-02-2011, 01:32 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Martin Wolfe had an article in FT where he put forth that Germany needs its debtors, as much as Italy, Greece, etc. need German goods and loans.
I had to register (free) to read this. It's here: Creditors can huff but they need debtors - FT.com (at least, this is where I'm looking at it).
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2011, 07:26 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Martin Wolfe had an article in FT where he put forth that Germany needs its debtors, as much as Italy, Greece, etc. need German goods and loans. Very similar to ideas about China needing the American consumer/debtor as much as the American needs China...
Could I go a bit further and say it is a "symbiotic" relationship, like that of the Eloi and the Morlock in The Time Machine?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:31 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
We're looking at a referendum here in Illinois. It concerns whether to default on the seemingly insurmountable debt the state has run up and then sell the whole thing to the EU. I mean the whole thing. The zillions of acres of productive farm land, the access to fresh water from the Great Lakes, the worlds most corrupt political system......... everything. Then Washington could make a counter offer if they're interested.

One way or another, we're gona need a BIG bailout! These Greek folks are small potatoes.
Why not start a war with a rich super power, loose it, and then get them to fund rebuilding your state?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:45 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Why not start a war with a rich super power, loose it, and then get them to fund rebuilding your state?
Here's a very funny Peter Sellers movie with that same plot The Mouse That Roared (1959) - IMDb

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:52 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Ask the East Germans; or for that matter the West Germans who were working 6 days a week in the 1950s.
justplainbll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

It looks like the Greeks may not be holding their referendum after all. Papandreou's gamble paid off, he got the political opposition to say they'd back the austerity measures. A gutsy tactic. Unfortunately, the Greek people won't have a cut-and-dried popular vote, so there will continue to be external scapegoats for the coming pain.

The AP story.

Dancing on the edge of a cliff is a tiring hobby. And not without some risk.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Good for the Greeks, and good for me. I'm congratulating myself for investing all my cash on Tuesday afternoon.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:24 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Dancing on the edge of a cliff is a tiring hobby. And not without some risk.

I thought that crazy dancing was part of Greek culture, like not paying taxes. Or maybe that is just cause I watched My Big Fat Greek Wedding, twice.

I am finding I'm liking Papandreous in this crazy situation. The guy has balls.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote