Join Early Retirement Today

MarketWatch: Why 60/40 AA may no longer work
Old 04-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MarketWatch: Why 60/40 AA may no longer work

From today's MarketWatch:

Why the 60/40 asset allocation model may no longer work

Quote:
The 60-40 strategy is rooted in modern portfolio theory, first popularized in the late 1950s, which holds that diversification among asset classes helps boost returns. The problem, in a nutshell, is that low bond yields—driven by the Federal Reserve’s policy of keeping borrowing affordable—combined with historically low stock dividends have thrown the model out of whack.

Advisers who are turning away from the 60-40 strategy say they don’t see the situation improving significantly in the longer term. They point out that rising interest rates will have the effect of depressing bond prices.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:06 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Takeaway: They suggest more allocation to "strategic" assets not typically in a stock/bond allocation. Presumably they include the usual bets against the dollar (foreign currency, gold, commodities) and such. Some reference to the Permanent Portfolio is also in there (disclosure: I own a position in PRPFX).

Still, it's more of the same old stuff that is probably trying to get DIY investors scurrying to see financial planners.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Not much meat in the article. They propose that 40% bonds may be too much right now because rates are low, something we've been batting around amongst ourselves for awhile now. But the article doesn't say the low rates will stick around forever. If the situation is temporary, it makes more sense to me to just reduce the problem (shorter term bonds) or avoid it by going to cash equivalents. When bond rates rise, buy back into them at the lower bond prices and continue as we did before the Fed got involved with rate suppression.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Not much meat in the article. They propose that 40% bonds may be too much right now because rates are low, something we've been batting around amongst ourselves for awhile now. But the article doesn't say the low rates will stick around forever. If the situation is temporary, it makes more sense to me to just reduce the problem (shorter term bonds) or avoid it by going to cash equivalents. When bond rates rise, buy back into them at the lower bond prices and continue as we did before the Fed got involved with rate suppression.

+1
Old 04-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Seriously, ignore MarketWatch. It's worth about what you pay for it.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Seriously, ignore MarketWatch. It's worth about what you pay for it.
What? Don't follow every word Paul Farrell says?
Old 04-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
What? Don't follow every word Paul Farrell says?
Definitely not him! But I don't think I've ready any other worthy authors on that site either.
Old 04-23-2013, 03:49 PM   #8

I don't see how anyone can predict stock market returns all the way out to 2020 and expect to be taken seriously. These analysts tend to be wrong just as often as they are right, which means they have a 50/50 chance of predicting the actual outcome of the markets. I'm just as capable of taking a 50/50 guess without knowing much of anything about the markets, so that's not saying much.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Asset Allocation