Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-10-2013, 09:58 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Married 55 years. General observation - Marriage is a good deal.

Four Children @ $389,670 each birth to age 18 = $1,558,680.00 ... and that doesn't include college. Good deal?... Maybe not so much.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_raising_a_child

... and thus the signature

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJHorne View Post
In a nutshell, the marriage penalty is like almost every other program the government has. It is based on the ability to pay.
CJ - It actually was to PROMOTE marriage (the assumption, of course, back in the day was that the wife did not work outside the home). It was designed to reduce the tax burden for a man who assumed the duty of providing for a wife and family. (If there were two men, one married the other single, same income, the married guy paid less)

Of course, society has changed and now it is producing unintended results.

Old 05-11-2013, 07:41 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mill View Post
Allow me to rant and be politically incorrect for a minute. ...
Now that I've accumulated a pile of money and am looking towards at ER, I'm pretty wary of marriage. Unfortunately, a pre-nup would be necessary.

However, having a close, intimate relationship with another person does not mean you have to be married to them. For some people, the closeness comes easier without marriage (I think I'm one of those people). Our culture holds up marriage as an ideal, but that doesn't mean you have to go along with the program. Personally I like the idea of a girlfriend who lives in a separate house much better than a live-in wife.
Old 05-11-2013, 09:06 AM   #84
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Now that I've accumulated a pile of money and am looking towards at ER, I'm pretty wary of marriage. Unfortunately, a pre-nup would be necessary.

However, having a close, intimate relationship with another person does not mean you have to be married to them. For some people, the closeness comes easier without marriage (I think I'm one of those people). Our culture holds up marriage as an ideal, but that doesn't mean you have to go along with the program. Personally I like the idea of a girlfriend who lives in a separate house much better than a live-in wife.
Frank and I have that sort of arrangement. It is not for everybody, but for us it has been working beautifully for the past 13+ years.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Eddie View Post
Personally I like the idea of a girlfriend who lives in a separate house much better than a live-in wife.
I am also of this mind.

Some would say this is doubling of expenses; but, in my current situation, that would definitely not be the case. My place could easily be a very small apartment, rarely run A/C, no cable TV, simpler foods, etc. I have lived like this and really enjoyed the experience. For me, few things beat having my own place.

CoolChange is offline   Reply With Quote