Join Early Retirement Today

Max HSA contributions
Old 10-09-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Max HSA contributions

I'm 60. According to my Fidelity website, I can contribute $7K (family) to my HSA account this year. There is also a footnote that says I can contribute a "catch-up(?) amount of $1K. So I can make a total contribution of $8K this year. Correct? Also, is the entire amount deductible on my tax return?
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2019, 06:52 PM   #2
Confused about dryer sheets

Yes, $8k for a family plan. No federal taxes are due on that, but some states do tax it.
Carple Tunnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:44 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I'm 60. According to my Fidelity website, I can contribute $7K (family) to my HSA account this year. There is also a footnote that says I can contribute a "catch-up(?) amount of $1K. So I can make a total contribution of $8K this year. Correct? Also, is the entire amount deductible on my tax return?
If you and your spouse have a high-deductible health insurance family plan and you're both over 55, then you're better off opening two separate HSAs. That way you can each contribute the $1000 catch-up, so you get a total of $9K between the two of you. If you only have one account, the max is $8K.
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:09 AM   #4

For those turning 65 this year it can also be prorated. In my DW case she turned 65 in early July so it's half the 3500 max and half the 1000 catch up for a total of 2250. Correct me if am wrong anybody. Thanks
ripper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
For those turning 65 this year it can also be prorated. In my DW case she turned 65 in early July so it's half the 3500 max and half the 1000 catch up for a total of 2250. Correct me if am wrong anybody. Thanks
You are correct. I'm in the same boat and will be using the similar formula.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Question: if the HSA is for a family plan(e.g. $8k/yr) and one spouse turns 65 in the year (say July) then only $4k can be put in HSA, even though one spouse is below 65 and stays on the high deducible ins plan?
SoReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoReady View Post
Question: if the HSA is for a family plan(e.g. $8k/yr) and one spouse turns 65 in the year (say July) then only $4k can be put in HSA, even though one spouse is below 65 and stays on the high deducible ins plan?

The spouse turning 65 can contribute a prorated amount for the months before the month they turn 65. For example, if they turn 65 in September, they can contribute for 8 months, or 2/3 of the annual amount.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hsa max