Join Early Retirement Today

Max SS???
Old 12-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Max SS???

I was at a neighborhood social this evening, and one of the more senior members (73) said that when his wife turned 65 he was 66 and they went down to file SS. SS ask him why he was not taking it. He stated he did not intend to take it until 70 in order to receive a bigger check. They told him he was 'maxed out' and would not get any more by waiting. So they backed dated his SS to 65, filed it, and his first check was for $11,000.

I know there is a family max, but I was surprised that someone that could max out their SS at 65/66 and not receive the bump for taking it later.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2009, 07:41 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Rustic, I think your neighbor got a bum SS rep who gave him some bad info.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #3

I agree. At 73 it does not make that much difference now. I have never heard of such. I was hoping that someone here might be the SS expert.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:13 PM   #4

It's possible the current "your benefits continue to grow until age 70" rule wasn't around seven years ago, but I don't think that's the case. We've been talking about it here for about that many years.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It's possible the current "your benefits continue to grow until age 70" rule wasn't around seven years ago, but I don't think that's the case. We've been talking about it here for about that many years.
from investopedia:

Benefits
The amount of your Social Security benefit is calculated by averaging the earnings from your 35 highest income-generating years. The maximum monthly Social Security check that you can earn is $2,053 per month in 2006.

TJ
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:53 AM   #6

I think I found the answer. Wahoo, it says that 'The credit given for delayed retirement will gradually reach 8 percent per year for those born after 1942.' It is talking about retirement after the 'normal age'. It does not give a reference, so my gues is the 8% up to 70 kicker does not apply. Party in question was born in 1937.

Social Security Benefit Amounts
Old 12-12-2009, 08:04 AM   #7

However,
Early or delayed retirement
from the same people, indicates they do get a kicker
Old 12-12-2009, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
However,
Early or delayed retirement
from the same people, indicates they do get a kicker
Yep, according to this SS chart the kicker is a little less (6.5%) but a kicker nevertheless. I go back to my original statement...