Meaning of "Fixed Income"

T

TromboneAl

On the news when they say "fixed income" they seem to mean "low income."

As in "Higher heating costs are especially painful for retirees on a fixed income."

Is there something I'm missing? If I made $1 million a year, it would be a fixed income, but heating costs wouldn't be a problem. Can most people raise their income when desired? "Oh, heating costs are higher this winter, I think I'll up my income a bit, but just for the winter."

TromboneAl said:
On the news when they say "fixed income" they seem to mean "low income."

As in "Higher heating costs are especially painful for retirees on a fixed income."

Is there something I'm missing?  If I made $1 million a year, it would be a fixed income, but heating costs wouldn't be a problem.  Can most people raise their income when desired?  "Oh, heating costs are higher this winter, I think I'll up my income a bit, but just for the winter."
Another good reason to turn off the TV!

I think they're just assuming that newsworthy retirees are already spending every dime of their pensions & SS and unable to keep up with inflation-- unless they put on a Wal-Mart vest.

Was there ever a time in SS's history when its payments didn't have a COLA? Maybe that's where "fixed" got started.

"fixed income" = euphemism for "poor a55 people".

Per "Word Reference.com"

Fixed Income---

(financial) of investments that pay a constant rate of return; "fixed-income investments do not protect an investor in times of rising inflation"

The key here is "do not protect an investor in times of rising inflation" This is what the media sees and uses without much further thought.

Defined-benefit pension without COLA -- applies to a lot of retirees

HH

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom