Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-02-2019, 02:19 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post

"good, fast, and cheap. Pick any 2."
fixed it for ya

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2019, 05:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I worked for the state and when I started we had 3 full time staff and 2 support people. As people left they didnít fill the positions and I was expected to meet all the clients needs. Eventually I was too stressed out and overworked. I should have just did what I could and let the rest go but mentally I couldnít do it when people had needs.
I almost fell into that trap. After I retired and we moved to WV I applied for a job with the state investigating elder abuse, a subject I'd dealt with somewhat before when doing fraud investigations, and I had all the educational and experience requirements. At the interview the interviewers stressed that resources were limited and that one was expected to be "creative and resourceful" because agency resources were limited, to the point that often even an agency car wasn't available, or funds to put someone in dire need up in a cheap hotel.

On the way home I realized that this job sounded like an exercise in frustration, one of those jobs for which the saying "We the unwilling, led by the unknowing, have done so much for so long with so little that we are now qualified to do anything with nothing" was written.

When I got home I wrote a letter withdrawing my application. I'd had enough of that nonsense of being told to do a job and being given no resources to do it with. I sure didn't need to pile it on higher and deeper.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:07 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoJay View Post
Anyway, I'm curious how others view the "b.s. bucket." For me, it was interesting to realize that I had constructed it myself.
I suspect that this situation is fairly rare. Most folks have their BS bucket amply filled by the demands of being part of a corporate machine (whether as a peon or as a senior exec). Why put up with it? Well, like most things in life, there are trade-offs. Running a successful small biz can be satisfying if occasionally aggravating.
socca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #24
Dryer sheet aficionado

I can relate to:
- comparing my performance to others' and finding it lacking
- trying to downshift at work, but pressuring myself to live up to an internal standard
- being unable to ease up on the gas when there are still clients who need help

So now I'm using my generous EAP counseling, in this, my final year of work, to figure out some self-esteem issues related to childhood trauma. It feels good! I didn't want to go into retirement feeling that I hadn't "done enough with my life." I've done plenty to fulfill the role that was set for me, now I'm finding out what I WANT to do!
Old 12-02-2019, 08:48 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I found that there was an inverse correlation between FI and BS tolerance. Rsquare = .876
davebarnes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:00 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
Two things I learned from old-timers early in my career, but didn't believe until I became an old-timer:

"Cost, quality, and time to market. Pick any 2."

"A pessimist is an optimist with experience."

You nailed it. That sounds like the MegaCorp I currently work for.
Dean56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #27

Walt, it was smart of you not to take the job.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:28 AM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I found that there was an inverse correlation between FI and BS tolerance. Rsquare = .876
good one

Old 12-03-2019, 09:53 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
Oh, there may have been some self construction. But let me give a different perspective.

Awareness from experience.

Your situation is very sales oriented. For those of us process oriented, it probably goes differently. And here's one way BS is generated. The Company, or The Founder, or The Boss, or The Man -- whoever -- declares that some new process, or problem, or situation, or meeting is the new way that will lead us to the promised land. As youngsters, we dutifully eat it up and drink the kool aid.

Years go by.

Not much happens. Or maybe things go in reverse. Maybe you change companies or departments. Then, The Man, The Boss, The Company declares that some new process, or problem, or situation is going to get us to the promised land.

Hmm. That sounded familiar. OK, maybe we'll give it a try again. The first one was a glitch.

Years go by.

Not much happens. Then, The Man... declares a new way to the promised land.

Eyes open up. What? This is BS. My bucket is starting to fill.

Years go by.

Not much happens. Then... well, you know. The BS bucket is now full.
Oh,my! This was my life. It seemed every 10 years or so, some "new" way of doing the work was presented. During the last one I went through before retirement, I brought a notebook with flowsheets/matrixs etc. from the "previous new way" that had been abandoned. Everyone loved them--they would make the work so much easier! Where did I get them?
Management was flabbergasted when I showed them that they were what we did 10 years prior