Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Mechanics of taxable investing at Vangaurd
Old 02-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19
Mechanics of taxable investing at Vangaurd

Hi all,

I'd like to start an automatic investment plan at Vanguard. This will be a taxable account that would be $500-1000/month into 3 to 5 funds. First of all, it appears to me that the annual maintenance fees are waived if you sign up for electronic delivery. However, it appears that most of their funds require a minimum of $3000 to start. I know many companies will waive the minimums if you sign up for the automatic investment. Does anyone know if Vanguard will do this? Or do you automatically put money into the money market fund until you get the $3000, then start a fund?
Thanks!
__________________

__________________
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:14 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.
Retire Soon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 655
You might consider Vanguard Star Fund which has a minumum investment of $1,000. You could add more funds later on. Star is a fund of funds, so you would actually have ownership in 11 funds.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT
__________________

__________________
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 11:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Hi all,

I'd like to start an automatic investment plan at Vanguard. This will be a taxable account that would be $500-1000/month into 3 to 5 funds. First of all, it appears to me that the annual maintenance fees are waived if you sign up for electronic delivery. However, it appears that most of their funds require a minimum of $3000 to start. I know many companies will waive the minimums if you sign up for the automatic investment. Does anyone know if Vanguard will do this? Or do you automatically put money into the money market fund until you get the $3000, then start a fund?
Thanks!
The thing is, even their money market funds require $3000 to start. What you could do is start building some savings in a high interest rate savings account for example and when you reach $3000, then buy one of Vanguard's MMF. Keep adding money to the MMF and when you reach $3500, then leave $500 in the MMF (VG will close your MMF account if the balance drops below $500), and use $3000 to buy your first fund. Then continue adding money to the MMF, until you reach $3500 again, leave $500 in the MMF and use $3000 to buy a second fund. Repeat as many times as needed to open all the funds you want. Then you can start adding money to each fund as needed. That's how I got started with Vanguard.
__________________
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:07 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19
Thanks a bunch. I didn't realize the MMF has a minimum also. I think I'll do what you did. I have a USAA MMF currently for my emergency fund. Maybe I'll switch it over to vanguard and start buying the funds as you did. Thanks again.
__________________
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:13 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
travelover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 9,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
You might consider Vanguard Star Fund which has a minumum investment of $1,000. You could add more funds later on. Star is a fund of funds, so you would actually have ownership in 11 funds.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT

But STAR fund has 25% bonds - not optimal in a taxable account. I'd go with Firedreamer's plan.
__________________
Yes, I have achieved work / life balance.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 19
It's a good thought to try a fund with a low minimum, but I agree with Travelover about the bonds. Also, I've read that a lot of folks direct dividends into the MMF to reinvest rather than automatic reinvestiment. That's another reason to have the MMF.
__________________
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:28 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DblDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,224
Homebrew;

One other consideration is that as a broker Vanguard is not the most competitive in terms of commisions. I use Scottrade ($7 trades) for this reason, others use Wells Fargo which has (had?) free trades.

DD

PS Munich Helles on deck for this weekend
__________________
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Homebrew;

One other consideration is that as a broker Vanguard is not the most competitive in terms of commisions. I use Scottrade ($7 trades) for this reason, others use Wells Fargo which has (had?) free trades.

DD

PS Munich Helles on deck for this weekend
True, but if only buying Vanguard mutual funds, much cheaper to by them from Vanguard with no transactions costs.
__________________
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g View Post
True, but if only buying Vanguard mutual funds, much cheaper to by them from Vanguard with no transactions costs.
Plus many non-Vanguard funds can be purchased at no cost (No Transaction Fee or NTF funds) through Vanguard.
__________________
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:50 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 961
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Plus many non-Vanguard funds can be purchased at no cost (No Transaction Fee or NTF funds) through Vanguard.
Non-vanguard funds.... heresy.
__________________
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g View Post
Non-vanguard funds.... heresy.
The day Vanguard proposes an International Bond fund and a Market Neutral fund (with a low minimum), I will be glad to put all my money in VG funds. Until then...
__________________
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:18 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DblDoc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,224
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
The day Vanguard proposes an International Bond fund and a Market Neutral fund (with a low minimum), I will be glad to put all my money in VG funds. Until then...
And international small cap...

Also I believe they charge commisions on ETF's (even Vanguard ETF's) which for me long term are cheaper then their comparable MF given how I invest.

Not to worry ats5g Vanguard has most of my nestegg

DD
__________________

__________________
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AA & withdrawals between taxable and non taxable accounts. ron244 FIRE and Money 14 05-18-2007 06:59 PM
taxable v nontaxed funds for investing lazygood4nothinbum FIRE and Money 6 01-30-2007 11:54 AM
How to allocate taxable and non-taxable money? Olav23 FIRE and Money 6 01-10-2007 01:28 PM
Questions on taxable retirement investing cxw267 Young Dreamers 16 04-25-2006 02:18 PM
Mundane Money Mechanics TromboneAl FIRE and Money 15 03-09-2006 07:20 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:30 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.