Join Early Retirement Today

Mechanics of taxable investing at Vangaurd
Old 02-22-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
Dryer sheet wannabe

Mechanics of taxable investing at Vangaurd

Hi all,

I'd like to start an automatic investment plan at Vanguard. This will be a taxable account that would be $500-1000/month into 3 to 5 funds. First of all, it appears to me that the annual maintenance fees are waived if you sign up for electronic delivery. However, it appears that most of their funds require a minimum of $3000 to start. I know many companies will waive the minimums if you sign up for the automatic investment. Does anyone know if Vanguard will do this? Or do you automatically put money into the money market fund until you get the $3000, then start a fund?
Thanks!
Homebrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

You might consider Vanguard Star Fund which has a minumum investment of $1,000. You could add more funds later on. Star is a fund of funds, so you would actually have ownership in 11 funds.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrew View Post
Hi all,

I'd like to start an automatic investment plan at Vanguard. This will be a taxable account that would be $500-1000/month into 3 to 5 funds. First of all, it appears to me that the annual maintenance fees are waived if you sign up for electronic delivery. However, it appears that most of their funds require a minimum of $3000 to start. I know many companies will waive the minimums if you sign up for the automatic investment. Does anyone know if Vanguard will do this? Or do you automatically put money into the money market fund until you get the $3000, then start a fund?
Thanks!
The thing is, even their money market funds require $3000 to start. What you could do is start building some savings in a high interest rate savings account for example and when you reach $3000, then buy one of Vanguard's MMF. Keep adding money to the MMF and when you reach $3500, then leave $500 in the MMF (VG will close your MMF account if the balance drops below $500), and use $3000 to buy your first fund. Then continue adding money to the MMF, until you reach $3500 again, leave $500 in the MMF and use $3000 to buy a second fund. Repeat as many times as needed to open all the funds you want. Then you can start adding money to each fund as needed. That's how I got started with Vanguard.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:07 AM   #4
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks a bunch. I didn't realize the MMF has a minimum also. I think I'll do what you did. I have a USAA MMF currently for my emergency fund. Maybe I'll switch it over to vanguard and start buying the funds as you did. Thanks again.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:13 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire Soon View Post
You might consider Vanguard Star Fund which has a minumum investment of $1,000. You could add more funds later on. Star is a fund of funds, so you would actually have ownership in 11 funds.

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/fun...FundIntExt=INT

But STAR fund has 25% bonds - not optimal in a taxable account. I'd go with Firedreamer's plan.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

It's a good thought to try a fund with a low minimum, but I agree with Travelover about the bonds. Also, I've read that a lot of folks direct dividends into the MMF to reinvest rather than automatic reinvestiment. That's another reason to have the MMF.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Homebrew;

One other consideration is that as a broker Vanguard is not the most competitive in terms of commisions. I use Scottrade ($7 trades) for this reason, others use Wells Fargo which has (had?) free trades.

DD

PS Munich Helles on deck for this weekend
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDoc View Post
Homebrew;

One other consideration is that as a broker Vanguard is not the most competitive in terms of commisions. I use Scottrade ($7 trades) for this reason, others use Wells Fargo which has (had?) free trades.

DD

PS Munich Helles on deck for this weekend
True, but if only buying Vanguard mutual funds, much cheaper to by them from Vanguard with no transactions costs.
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g View Post
True, but if only buying Vanguard mutual funds, much cheaper to by them from Vanguard with no transactions costs.
Plus many non-Vanguard funds can be purchased at no cost (No Transaction Fee or NTF funds) through Vanguard.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
Plus many non-Vanguard funds can be purchased at no cost (No Transaction Fee or NTF funds) through Vanguard.
Non-vanguard funds.... heresy.
ats5g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ats5g View Post
Non-vanguard funds.... heresy.
The day Vanguard proposes an International Bond fund and a Market Neutral fund (with a low minimum), I will be glad to put all my money in VG funds. Until then...
Old 02-23-2008, 10:18 PM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
The day Vanguard proposes an International Bond fund and a Market Neutral fund (with a low minimum), I will be glad to put all my money in VG funds. Until then...
And international small cap...

Also I believe they charge commisions on ETF's (even Vanguard ETF's) which for me long term are cheaper then their comparable MF given how I invest.

Not to worry ats5g Vanguard has most of my nestegg

DD
DblDoc is offline   Reply With Quote