Medical Informatics Engineering hacked

DEC-1982

Full time employment: Posting here.
I got a letter in the mail a couple of days ago (and a second one for DW) saying they had been hacked May 26 2015 and our data had been compromised. I had never heard of this company but Google search showed this link

"Medical Informatics Engineering discloses data breach"
details at
Medical Informatics Engineering discloses data breach | Robinson & Cole LLP - JDSupra

The company offered free Experian ProtectMyID Elite for 24 months. I guess I/we will subscribe to it.

This is the fourth time my data has been "lost/stolen" in 4 years.

A few minutes ago I reviewed earlier discussions in this forum and saw many people suggesting freezes at all 3 credit bureaus. I will have to give that some thought.

I have been using IdentityGuard since the Target hack but after I sign up for this free monitoring service I may cancel that and save myself $30 per month (14.99 + 14.99). I expect the Experian service is more or less equivalent to IdentityGuard.

I got that letter, also. It looked phishy, so I threw it away. Then my company announced the same information on our website.

I probably won't do anything.

The switch to electronic medical record was and still is touted as a pathway to enhanced patient confidentiality, saving $$, allowing easier access to patient data for healthcare providers, saving time ETC.. With rare exceptions such as the VA system and Kaiser Medical IT has mainly been a giant millstone. As far as confidentiality is concerned IMHO all our data was safer on paper with barely legible writing.:nonono:

I worked on some healthcare solutioions for the VA and overcompassing DoD. The single largest problem with healthcare is accurate patient information and records. We were solving the problem of "Is John Doe, actually John Doe, and how certain are we that John Doe IS John Doe and how Certain are we that John Doe is NOT John Doe" to give some level of confidence that at least we know the guys identity that is lieing on the side of the road is or is not correct.

Identity matching can get confusing now that boys turn to girls, girls turn to boys, some people don't even identify as male or female, and of course the Asian names with many consecutive vowels.

Back
Top Bottom