Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Medicare at age 55??!!
Old 12-09-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Medicare at age 55??!!

Just watched NBC news-- the new Senate compromise is to start medicare at 55 instead of 65. No details as to how that will get covered, but I fear that somehow we would lose our option to continue our medical coverage at very good rates, which includes vision, dental, and reasonalble premiums and deductibles.... YIKES!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Or people without health coverage might be able to buy in at reasonable rates- obviously a lot more to understand.

Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Can you tell me where to get these very good rates?
Old 12-09-2009, 06:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Can you tell me where to get these very good rates?
Work for a large company or the federal gov't and get subsidized health care insurance.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #5
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
Just watched NBC news-- the new Senate compromise is to start medicare at 55 instead of 65. No details as to how that will get covered, but I fear that somehow we would lose our option to continue our medical coverage at very good rates, which includes vision, dental, and reasonalble premiums and deductibles.... YIKES!
YIKES! indeed!!! I have to admit, everything about this health bill is scary to me. I am such a worrier.

I finally decided that the only way to maintain a sane outlook while they are deciding what to do, is to just let it go. There is nothing the you or I can do to influence the outcome. And what is proposed, keeps changing from week to week. No amount of worrying will do anything to help. I can't MAKE our elected representatives do what I want them to do (which I am absolutely certain is the only way to solve our nation's health care crisis, but oh well). They will do what they will do.*

So, I try not to worry and instead to just accept, placidly, that what will be, will be. And try not to get angry (that's the hard part). Things always do seem to work out eventually.

* I do vote, but that hasn't helped much.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 12-09-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I think the idea is that people buying in at 55 pay more than those 65 and older.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by . . . Yrs to Go View Post
I think the idea is that people buying in at 55 pay more than those 65 and older.
And if the "buy in" is optional for those aged 55-64, Medicare will wind up with all the folks in the high-risk categories who can't get health insurance through the private route, even as all the healthier folks choose cheaper options at lower rates.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
Old 12-09-2009, 07:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And if the "buy in" is optional for those aged 55-64, Medicare will wind up with all the folks in the high-risk categories who can't get health insurance through the private route, even as all the healthier folks choose cheaper options at lower rates.
Another potential source is people in small group plans with high rates and/or minimum coverage.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
just let it go. There is nothing the you or I can do to influence the outcome.
Exactly. I think our minds are programmed to think that we can make a difference in things like this. Sometimes I think "maybe if I write a persuasive letter to my congressperson..." but that's unrealistic. It's better to not listen to news about something like this until the bill is actually passed.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
YIKES! indeed!!! I have to admit, everything about this health bill is scary to me.

I finally decided that the only way to maintain a sane outlook while they are deciding what to do, is to just let it go. There is nothing the you or I can do to influence the outcome. And what is proposed, keeps changing from week to week. No amount of worrying will do anything to help. I can't MAKE our elected representatives do what I want them to do (which I am absolutely certain is the only way to solve our nation's health care crisis, but oh well). They will do what they will do.*

* I do vote, but that hasn't helped much.
At age 39, I am resigned to the fact that whatever is in place today, will NOT be what is in place in 10 years when I will be investigating my options while ER'd. I just shake my head...
Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
But that's fine if the high-risk folks are a small minority, personally I like to see it 50-64
TJ
Old 12-10-2009, 07:28 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We won't know squat until after the House and Senate versions are reconciled and an entirely new final package comes up for vote. The alleged "leaks" on the Senate agreement explain the Medicare at 55 deal as something people who are unable to get other insurance would be able to enroll in in 2011 - before the OPM style exchange would become available. It would be a temporary offering with no subsidies. There was some vague suggestion that existing plans could not change their policies to dump the high risk portion to take advantage of this offer.

The bottom line is that this whole deal is the health insurance industry enhancement plan. It will end up costing more and enriching the insurers but at least we will move closer to full coverage. Like everything else, we will kick the hard questions down the road a bit.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Moderator note: This is the second of two ongoing threads discussing this subject. Rather than merge the two and confuse the responses, I'm closing this thread.

Please continue the discussion on the earlier thread located here: If 55-64 are allowed to buy into medicare

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Closed Thread