Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Medicare Part C
Old 03-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 360
Medicare Part C

Will be Medicare age in a couple of years and just found out about Part C. When did that happen!? Any of you folks of Medicare age who are on Part C or considered it and stayed with A&B care to share your thought process and experience?.... thanks! bill
__________________

__________________
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2008, 06:16 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central, Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,598
I am not on MC Part C or D just A&B along with TFL. But here is an explanation of Part C: Medicare Part C - Medicare Consumer Guide

Been around for a long time, just watch noon-time TV shows and look for HMO's advertisements.
__________________

__________________
Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 360
Thanks for the reply. Is there a reason you chose to stay with A&B versus the C. Guess wondering if there are some pro/con guidelines somewhere?
__________________
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 08:38 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central, Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
Thanks for the reply. Is there a reason you chose to stay with A&B versus the C. Guess wondering if there are some pro/con guidelines somewhere?
TFL - Tricare For Life is a MEDICARE supplement that currently pays 100% of costs after MEDICARE, no copay, no annual cost beyond MEDICARE Part B premiums is why.
__________________
Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote
TRICARE for Life and Medicare
Old 03-18-2008, 08:37 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5
TRICARE for Life and Medicare

In order to keep your Tricare benefits after the age of 65 you must have Medicare Part B (If eligible for Premium Free Part A). In most cases beneficiaries that have purchased the Part C plan find that it is a waste of money. TFL and Medicare A&B cover almost everything. Part C is like an HMO so there are rules and if you don't follow these rules you are likely to pay the medical bills. On the other hand with TFL and Medicare you are free to see any Medicare provider within the US without being tied down to one Doctor. You also don't need Part D which is the drug plan. TFL has the $3, 9 & 22 copayments but with Medicare Part D you must pay their copays which can be way more. I have heard some medications have been in the $100's.
__________________
uwhateva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
OAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central, Ohio, USA
Posts: 2,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwhateva View Post
In order to keep your Tricare benefits after the age of 65 you must have Medicare Part B (If eligible for Premium Free Part A). In most cases beneficiaries that have purchased the Part C plan find that it is a waste of money. TFL and Medicare A&B cover almost everything. Part C is like an HMO so there are rules and if you don't follow these rules you are likely to pay the medical bills. On the other hand with TFL and Medicare you are free to see any Medicare provider within the US without being tied down to one Doctor. You also don't need Part D which is the drug plan. TFL has the $3, 9 & 22 copayments but with Medicare Part D you must pay their copays which can be way more. I have heard some medications have been in the $100's.
There is a difference in Tricare and Tricare for Life but that does not appear to matter to OP. You say TFL covers almost everything, what does it not cover that MEDICARE and a HMO/Supplement covers? Additionally, the Express Scripts TFL pharmacy provides a 90 day supply of medications versus most MEDICARE Part D providers, TMK only provide a 30 supply of medications.
__________________
Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Charlotte
Posts: 360
I assume Tricare is a Medicare supplement for retired veterans. I am still interested in how someone who does NOT have access to such medical insurance (via military, corporation or whatever) would decide for Part C versus just taking vanilla A&B along with a Medi-gap (aka, Medicare supplement) policy.
__________________
WilliamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Part "C" Defined....
Old 03-19-2008, 08:01 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 987
Part "C" Defined....

From medicare.gov:

http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/11306.pdf

My son (who is disabled - SSD) has this coverage (offered from our state Blue Shield) . He does not use his "original medicare ID card" when he goes to the doctor. This replaces that original coverage (along with the medigap coverage he had).

He's only been on it since January. I can't tell you the advantages (if any) at this time, other than to say that it seems less expensive (according to the supporting documents). We'll see!

One thing - he still needs to pay for part B (still comes out of his SS check). You have the option to either be billed separately or add this as another deduction to the monthly SS check. The entire "scheme" seems to be that the government has hired a 3rd party to process medicare claims. You will not get the CMS statement anymore, and doctors will be paid (his rate $15) just as a traditional BC/BC plan, rather than waiting for the claim to "clear" from CMS/Medicare.

- Ron
__________________
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:07 PM   #9
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Wood View Post
There is a difference in Tricare and Tricare for Life but that does not appear to matter to OP. You say TFL covers almost everything, what does it not cover that MEDICARE and a HMO/Supplement covers? Additionally, the Express Scripts TFL pharmacy provides a 90 day supply of medications versus most MEDICARE Part D providers, TMK only provide a 30 supply of medications.

Yes, there is a difference in TRICARE and TFL. Tricare for Life is a Medicare supplement. There are somethings such as chiropratic care that Medicare covers and TFL does not, Medication even sometimes when inpatient or labs, etc. that TFL covers and Medicare does not, and lastly routine eye exams and hearing aids that neither cover. There is alot that both cover BUT we don't want to give anyone the impression that everything is covered at 100%. As for the supplements out there they may cover things like eye exams, glasses and dental that are not covered with TFL.

Express Scripts is a good deal especially the mail order BUT you cannot have other health insurance to use it including Medicare C&D. You may have Medicare A&B though.

As far as the resoning for someone that has no military affiliation to purchase Part C I am not sure BUT i do believe that you have to purchase Part C to get Part D. The benefits of having Part D alone may get some to take the C&D combo because of the cost of medication with no medication coverage (Very Expensive). Again part C is like an HMO so there maybe lower out of pocket cost versus just having A&B.

My thing with purchasing an HMO/Supplement is why pay the extra money and follow way more rules when you alreay have the TFL as a supplement. Supplements aren't cheap and the money that you save from not purchasing the extra supplement can be used to pay anything not covered. Now if you are someone that get's outrageous with receiving medical care that may not be medically neccessary you may need a supplement. Another thing to look at is if the supplement that you would purchase has a maximum amount that they will pay. Like they stop paying and you pay 100% if you spend so much money. With this Tfl is totally opposite because they have a catastrophic cap of $3000 and anything over this that is covered they pay at 100% per FY.
__________________
uwhateva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwhateva View Post
I am not sure BUT i do believe that you have to purchase Part C to get Part D.
No, that is not totally correct. My son had Medicare part A, B, & D (drug) coverage, along with a medigap policy.

Since he's now on part "C", you have the option (in his plan) to include drug or keep with the original part "D". In his case, part "D" was dropped, and covered under "C".

A lot of different combo's. You just have to work out what is best for your situation...

- Ron
__________________
rs0460a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:47 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamG View Post
I assume Tricare is a Medicare supplement for retired veterans. I am still interested in how someone who does NOT have access to such medical insurance (via military, corporation or whatever) would decide for Part C versus just taking vanilla A&B along with a Medi-gap (aka, Medicare supplement) policy.
I am in the situation you propose.

I rejected Part C, (also called Medicare Advantage) mainly because it is being sold aggressively, President Bush was promoting it, etc.

It's like being a football defensive lineman- if the O-lineman wants you to go somewhere, you really really don't want to go there.

An additional reason is that I want to go to whomever I want to go to, including out of state if I need specialized care. And I don't want to be forced to beg and petition to be allowed to do that.

So I do have to pay for part D, and I am out of pocket more for my total insurance.

Different people evaluate these issues differently.

ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I rejected Part C, (also called Medicare Advantage) mainly because it is being sold aggressively, President Bush was promoting it, etc.
Can I assume you rejected the tax cuts from a few years ago because President Bush promoted it? Did you give your tax savings back to the Treasury?

If you're due a stimulus check, are you going to mark that 'return to sender,' too?

I can see not liking someone politically. But automatically rejecting anything just because someone you generally disagree with is for it is just silly and is one of the reasons we're in such an intractable partisan mess today.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:54 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Can I assume you rejected the tax cuts from a few years ago because President Bush promoted it? Did you give your tax savings back to the Treasury?

If you're due a stimulus check, are you going to mark that 'return to sender,' too?

I can see not liking someone politically. But automatically rejecting anything just because someone you generally disagree with is for it is just silly and is one of the reasons we're in such an intractable partisan mess today.
Oh, I feel misunderstood!

Regarding bush, I'm a fan, though maybe not quite so much of the President.

Seriously though, I would have resisted part C even if Mahatma Ghandi had been promoting it.

Why were politicians trying to sell this? Why did Alan Greenspan try to sell floating rate mortgages to American borrowers at the precise point in time when the only sane thing to do would have been to borrow fixed, and borrow long?

If these guys are selling, ol' Ha ain't buying.

Maybe you didn't understand the football analogy?

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 01:54 AM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5
HaHa may I ask why you have Medicare Part D when you already have prescription coverage with TFL?
__________________
uwhateva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:55 AM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwhateva View Post
HaHa may I ask why you have Medicare Part D when you already have prescription coverage with TFL?
No TFL; others posted about that.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:16 PM   #16
Confused about dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 5
I don't think I am understanding something. I read that you rejected Part C right? You are prior military, over 65 with Medicare A & B right?
__________________

__________________
uwhateva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Medicare RX Prescription Drug Plans (Part D) modhatter Health and Early Retirement 1 03-22-2007 03:15 PM
MOVED: Medicare Part D - Does It Fit Into Your Retirement Plans Nords Health and Early Retirement 0 12-08-2006 01:53 PM
Medicare Part B premiums to be income adjusted Elderdude Life after FIRE 20 09-14-2006 05:03 PM
Medicare+Medigap vs. Medicare Advantage haha FIRE and Money 2 02-01-2006 09:16 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:31 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.