Join Early Retirement Today

Medigap Pricing
Old 08-02-2017, 09:25 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Medigap Pricing

Question: Is the pricing for Medicare supplemental plans independent of age (all other things equal)?

The reason I ask is that I am using an online navigation service provided by my former employer for pricing plans for next year (I turn 65 in January, 2018). There is a glitch in their system that blocks you from "shopping" if you are under 65 ("not eligible"). Their tech support line tells me just to change my age in my profile by changing my birth date temporarily to 1952 while I use their comparison tools.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2017, 09:37 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

If you are on medicare under age 65 you are getting ssdi and thus disabled. Under 65 medigap plans are generally much more expensive because they are covering people who are known to be ill. Yes just pretend you are already 65 while browsing.
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah S View Post
If you are on medicare under age 65 you are getting ssdi and thus disabled. Under 65 plans are generally much more expensive because they are covering people who are known to be ill. Yes just pretend you are already 65 while browsing.
This will be for regular medicare - I will be 65 when the plan is active. It is just that the system won't allow me to see pricing because I am 64 now.
Old 08-02-2017, 09:41 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Exactly. I was explaining why you have to call to get under 65 prices ( which are irrelevant to you fortunately). You got correct advice from tech support
Sarah S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

I suggest contacting your state's Department of Aging for good information on Medigap plans: Maryland Department of Aging

I used my state's similar department when facing Medigap questions and found them to be very useful.
Old 08-02-2017, 12:03 PM   #6

the 3 methods Medicare Supplement Pricing Methods | Medigap Price Method
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohe View Post
Arghhhh...I'm trying to get quotes as DH received notification that his Medigap policy will increase by 9% for next year (69 to 70 years old) and I wanted to see if it's still in the range. Can't get detailed pricing w/o having someone call you. Minutes after I entered info, we've already received 4 calls .

I am assuming that like Part D, we can switch companies each year. Am I correct in this assumption or is that only the case if our carrier ceases writing coverage? Calls 5 and 6 just came in!
TrvlBug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
Arghhhh...I'm trying to get quotes as DH received notification that his Medigap policy will increase by 9% for next year (69 to 70 years old) and I wanted to see if it's still in the range. Can't get detailed pricing w/o having someone call you. Minutes after I entered info, we've already received 4 calls .

I am assuming that like Part D, we can switch companies each year. Am I correct in this assumption or is that only the case if our carrier ceases writing coverage? Calls 5 and 6 just came in!
Sorry. You only have guaranteed issue when you turn 65 or if your insurer stops offering the policy. Otherwise you are subject to underwriting and potential insurers can refuse coverage.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Sorry. You only have guaranteed issue when you turn 65 or if your insurer stops offering the policy. Otherwise you are subject to underwriting and potential insurers can refuse coverage.
Thank you. We're happy with our insurer (1st year on Medicare) so not really looking to change. Quick calculation I did was that his age 70 new costs are comparable to AARP's United Healthcare costs at 69.
Old 08-02-2017, 01:41 PM   #10

My DW turns 65 in October so we are in this process now. Found online website that listed prices for plans without having to give out phone number, name or other identifying info.

www.bestmedicaresupplement.com

Then for us it is a matter of finding A rated companies within the list
wmc1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
My DW turns 65 in October so we are in this process now. Found online website that listed prices for plans without having to give out phone number, name or other identifying info.

www.bestmedicaresupplement.com

Then for us it is a matter of finding A rated companies within the list
Thank you. I turn 65 in 2 years so will be going through the process at that time. May or may not go with the same insurer as DH.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #12

When you go through the process check to see if the selected company gives a household discount. Some, like Mutual of Omaha give a 12% discount if you live with another person 60 or older even if they are not on Medicare. Others like Continental Life Of Brentwood Tennesee, (owned by Aetna), give a 5% discount when both persons are insured by them.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by racy View Post
I suggest contacting your state's Department of Aging for good information on Medigap plans: Maryland Department of Aging

I used my state's similar department when facing Medigap questions and found them to be very useful.
To compliment this, in the past year I have searched for policies for DW (Florida) and DB (Illinois). Both states have a web site with Medicare resources, including a list of all the available MediGap policies, by insurer, with prices for all age groups for the current year. You can see the current price and also the age based rate of increase. To have all that info in one PDF report is extremely helpful.

Here's the list for Maryland (OP state of residence according to the profile) http://insurance.maryland.gov/Consum...Rate-Guide.pdf
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 02:14 PM   #14

Also, in following years if there is a significant price increase you can go through an independent agent to see whether even with medical questions that have to be answered there might be a less expensive choice of insurer.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:48 PM   #15

Thanks for those MD links, folks.
Old 08-02-2017, 03:29 PM   #16

Went thru the MD rates and glad we live in IN! Didn't realize how much pricing variation there was between different areas of the country.
Old 08-03-2017, 05:23 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrvlBug View Post
I am assuming that like Part D, we can switch companies each year. Am I correct in this assumption or is that only the case if our carrier ceases writing coverage?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
There is no federal annual open enrollment period for Medigap plans but some states have them. The poster's profile indicates they reside in CA which has a "Birthday Rule" for Medigap plans. The person can make a lateral change (or downgrade) without underwriting within 30 days of their birthday each year.

California Birthday Rule: https://www.senior65.com/medicare/ar...hday-rule-work
MBSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 11:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSC View Post
There is no federal annual open enrollment period for Medigap plans but some states have them. The poster's profile indicates they reside in CA which has a "Birthday Rule" for Medigap plans. The person can make a lateral change (or downgrade) without underwriting within 30 days of their birthday each year.

California Birthday Rule: https://www.senior65.com/medicare/ar...hday-rule-work
Thank you, thank you, thank you! We do live in CA so have this option if needed . As we are new to Medicare and know that there are some nuances to be aware of, I got the 'Medicare for Dummies' book but have not dived in yet...need to do that asap.

We've already had issues, coding with DH's colonoscopy as well as deceased MIL's coverage for doctor-type services performed during her stay in a skilled nursing facility.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:28 AM   #19

We went through this exercise last year - DH turned 65 in January 2017 but I started researching in August 2016... Here's a thread of all the questions (and answers I got) from my investigation last year.
http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ons-83717.html

We ended up with a f+ plan. 7+ months in... no regrets with the choice.
Old 08-03-2017, 11:31 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Was surprised when I recently checked that AARP was basically same price as Aetna in my state. Thought they'd be much higher. My mom has AARP for 20+ years as Medigap insurance and hasn't had even one issue ever with them. And she's at drs regularly.
Carol1862 is offline   Reply With Quote