Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Megacorp Keeps Adding Ways For Me to Save Wisely, Dang It
Old 10-01-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Megacorp Keeps Adding Ways For Me to Save Wisely, Dang It

We are finally getting a Health Savings Account option next year, with lower premiums (but higher deductibles). Up to now it's been a Health Fund that didn't allow for separate HSA contributions.

Last year they added the option to do in-service Roth conversions (as well as adding a Roth 401k).

And now they are finally raising the 401k match back up a smidge after cutting it to almost zero during the lean years.

This is in addition to the *two* cash balance plans we long-term employees have (one has been replacing the lost 401k match money and the other was the replacement for the frozen pension program). It's possible that the raised 401k match and the two cash balance accounts will add up to a total match of over 10%. And I have that frozen pension. (and am already getting DH's "early retirement" pension from the same company)

I can elect up to 50% of my paycheck for my pre-tax 401k contribution, and when it hits $18,500 it can automatically do the same 50% for after-tax contributions. Then I have the $6000 in catchup contributions. And now I can add $3500 in max'ed HSA contributions.

And I have a brokerage account that I can use to spend from while the vast majority of my paycheck goes into these other options.

Dang it, I'm such a sucker for these options, they're going to make me stick around just to take advantage of them, whether I really need to or not!
googily is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #2

Oh, and all of these pre-tax contributions will give me more space to do some Roth conversions up to the top of the 22% bracket.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #3

IMO, pretty simple.

- If one likes their job, stay until they won't have you anymore.

- If one hates their job and can retire, answer is obvious.

Options should only matter in #1 above.
golfnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My concern would be the quality of the funds the money is going into.

My Megacorp gave us access to maybe 8 Fidelity funds of varying risk so we couldn't hurt ourselves too much if we got too aggressive with our choice of funds. They finally opened the 401K up to all of Fidelity's funds if we'd pay the expenses--a good choice for the time.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 01:11 PM   #5

I've been lucky on that front, we've been with Vanguard all along, and they have a decent lineup. Used to be happy that we had access to Sequoia until I realized its fees!