Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Megacorp restructuring resulting in layoffs of up to 30k people
Old 05-17-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lisa99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Villages
Posts: 1,327
Megacorp restructuring resulting in layoffs of up to 30k people

Last year that announcement would have struck fear into my heart.

They also announced that an early retirement package is being structured. No idea what the package will look like, but it is usually offered to anyone over 50 with at least 10 years of service, which I fit into.

So the coming weeks and months are going to be interesting to see how this all unfolds (my manager would wring my neck, but hey, I'm willing to walk away with a few bruises)

HP Layoffs Looming: Company Said To Be Eliminating Up To 30,000 Jobs
__________________

__________________
Learning how to be still, to really be still and let life happen - that stillness becomes a radiance -
Morgan Freeman
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,492
Someone said luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. If this is your case, hope it work well for you - you certainly have prepared.
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Someone said luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
That is one of my favorite quotes.

I'm not quite as close as Lisa is to having a chance to seize the moment -- but getting close -- but it won't be long before I'd be the first in line to volunteer if the severance package is sweet enough. If it included a several months pay (especially if there was health insurance for a little while, too), it would start getting tempting.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:36 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lisa99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Villages
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
That is one of my favorite quotes.

I'm not quite as close as Lisa is to having a chance to seize the moment -- but getting close -- but it won't be long before I'd be the first in line to volunteer if the severance package is sweet enough. If it included a several months pay (especially if there was health insurance for a little while, too), it would start getting tempting.
Regardless of what the package is I wouldn't be able to quit working completely...there is that NUMBER after all that we haven't hit yet.

However, I had a one woman consulting gig back a few years ago and I could definitely do that again since DH carries health insurance on both of us.
__________________
Learning how to be still, to really be still and let life happen - that stillness becomes a radiance -
Morgan Freeman
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
donheff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 8,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Someone said luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. If this is your case, hope it work well for you - you certainly have prepared.
+1 Yes, keep your fingers crossed. And remember, your acceptance saves someone else's job.
__________________
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
They also announced that an early retirement package is being structured. No idea what the package will look like, but it is usually offered to anyone over 50 with at least 10 years of service, which I fit into.
If you're reading the same business press about HP that ClifP and I are reading, I'd expect knife fights in the lines of people queuing up for the ER packages.

Taking a package now beats the heck out of hanging on for a few more months and then having to wait for the bankruptcy court to decide the numbers.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 03:07 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Lisa99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The Villages
Posts: 1,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
If you're reading the same business press about HP that ClifP and I are reading, I'd expect knife fights in the lines of people queuing up for the ER packages.

Taking a package now beats the heck out of hanging on for a few more months and then having to wait for the bankruptcy court to decide the numbers.
when this whole thing hit the press, my gut reaction was 'here we go again'. I came from EDS which HP bought, so I'm way too familiar with the services side of IT outsourcing.
__________________
Learning how to be still, to really be still and let life happen - that stillness becomes a radiance -
Morgan Freeman
Lisa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Laurel, MD
Posts: 2,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa99 View Post
when this whole thing hit the press, my gut reaction was 'here we go again'. I came from EDS which HP bought, so I'm way too familiar with the services side of IT outsourcing.
What I don't get is why "diminishing demand for PCs" would prompt layoffs in the contract services groups which I understand are quite profitable, except SIL and other that came over from EDS have told me the cultures never quite merged.
__________________
...with no reasonable expectation for ER, I'm just here auditing the AP class.Retired 8/1/15.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
pb4uski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Vermont & Sarasota, FL
Posts: 16,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
What I don't get is why "diminishing demand for PCs" would prompt layoffs in the contract services groups which I understand are quite profitable, except SIL and other that came over from EDS have told me the cultures never quite merged.
You are really trying to find logic/common sense at HP?
__________________
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,425
HP is still profitable, isn't it?

Or is Whitman trying to make the balance sheet look better to please Wall Street?
__________________
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:35 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
You are really trying to find logic/common sense at HP?
I wonder if reversion to the mean applies to management, if so HP is pretty good example.

I am surprised that they are still profitable.
__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I wonder if reversion to the mean applies to management, if so HP is pretty good example.
.
I'm pretty convinced it does. I have a theory called "A Random Walk to the Corner Office" that fits in somehow.
__________________
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post
I'm pretty convinced it does. I have a theory called "A Random Walk to the Corner Office" that fits in somehow.
I am also thinking of Buffett's quote. "Invest in businesses any idiot could run, because someday one will"
__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
obgyn65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: midwestern city
Posts: 4,061
Welcome to capitalism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by explanade View Post
HP is still profitable, isn't it?

Or is Whitman trying to make the balance sheet look better to please Wall Street?
__________________

__________________
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:07 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.