Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Scares the crap out of me.

I'm 59 till this time last year I was a couch potato. Had some scary health issues that got me up and moving. Lost 55 went from a BMI of 31-> 24 , started walking. First mile last year was a screaming 48 minutes, including 9 stops to catch a breath, it's very hilly where we are. This year my goal is that mile in 12 minutes, already did 14 minutes and I know I will do that. We started lifting at the gym, in 6 months I've doubled the weight I'm lifting.

But then the scary stuff. We'd love to move to the mountains. How far to the DR? Hospital? I'm not sure about altitude sometimes it's no problem but a couple of times I struggled. How will we feel in another 10?

Thanks for starting this thread great topic.

MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 08:34 AM   #22
H2O, not a male, but your comment triggered something that's been in the back of my mind since 1985 when my Dad died of lung cancer at 58. A Camel chain smoker until he quit at age 50. My Mom who never smoked a day in her life died in 2000, from lung kidney grew up around smokers as well. So even with grandparents living to a ripe old age...none of us know if something we had no control over will come back and bite us in the B#4t....

I'm reading this because I have a 67 YO DH who doesn't want to retire from farming as he says it keep him fit mentally and physically and makes him feel useful which is a good thing. The bad thing is from March until early Nov it takes 90% of his energy which means we don't really do a lot of activities together. We've had a few difficult talks lately about shifting some things around but there is not a lot of forward progress. I tell him that when he's finally too tired to farm we probably won't be doing a lot of other things either. It's in his genes with over125 years of family farming, so I don't really fight it but I'm not really happy with it either.

ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:38 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Based on the octagenerians that I ride bikes fast with, I think I will be able to keep going until my mid-80s. That is, if they keep making me ride faster to keep up with them.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:41 AM   #24
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I'll be 74 in 4 months and 2 days...

Bottom line....when I hit 60 I thought "If this is as bad as it gets then no probs"......but the bridge between 60 and 70 (for most of us, I suspect), is far wider than the bridge between 50 and 60, and the one between 70 and 80 is huge.

We'll be in Spain again in November and have rented a 4th floor apartment (no elevator).....but the appalling spectre of Bus Tour vacations is unfortunately closer than it's ever been.
This is consistent with what I've read (on average, for most people--not including your Kiwi acquaintance or my F.I.Law). For planning purposes, we are assuming this to be the case. Hopefully, we'll be lucky and be in the post-75 year old minority. Even more importantly, I hope we meet the average....

Good luck with that Sciatica.
OMY * 3 2ish
2017ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:46 AM   #25
65 and have a very active life at my 7 acre heavily wooded place in SW Oregon. But like most here I've certainly noticed that my capacity for getting things done is diminishing. Where I used to be able to fell and buck and cut up for firewood 2-3 trees in a day now I notice that one tree is all I can do. I also hike a lot and some of the harder hikes are getting well, really hard. I hiked to the top of Mount McLoughlin with a group of kids from the local college and frankly if it hadn't been for their help and encouragement I wouldn't have made it. (Nice benefit though, it reiterated my faith that with young people like that the world is not going to hell in a hand basket). I think that until the magic elixir is found the best one can do is slow the process but I occasionally run into people in their 80's in my hikes so all hope is not lost.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:47 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...
That is a question that weighs on my mind too.

I retired early at 56 and turned 60 last year. The first 4 years of retirement have been a blast.... actively golfing a couple days a week (mostly riding 18 but sometimes walking 9).

Most of the guys I hang with these days are 5-10 years older and I can see that they are starting to get various back issues, knee issues, etc. One of our gulf buddies recently passed away at 75 but seemed much older. My dad passed at 75 too, but my mom's side lives until their 90s.

I'm guessing that I have 10, perhaps 15 "good" years left before I will have to give up some of the things I enjoy doing.
If something cannot endure laughter.... it cannot endure.
Patience is the art of concealing your impatience.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:49 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Not a guy either (duh) but DH (68 this year) has spent the past 12 months post open-heart surgery for valve repair focused on fitness, five days a week cardio, strength, and flexibility training, and he is better than ever.

Interesting recent news: Seniors can double their strength in 12 weeks plus extend their lives per this report:
Go Cubs
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets
I'm 58 now and have been feeling the effects of aging for many years. Shoulder, knees, elbows, back etc. Although I'm not what I once was, I still enjoy a ton of activities and sports with a lowered expectation.

* Golf frequently
* Snow ski once or twice a year on less challenging slopes and for shorter days
* Water ski once every 3 or 4 years for 5 minutes or less per run
* Tennis several times per year at a slower less competitive pace
* Racquetball very seldom (more to do with no one to play with)
* Running ended with bad knees 15 years ago
* Weightlifting frequently, although much lighter workouts
* Backpacking once or twice a year (4 or 5 miles per day instead of 10+)
* Hiking frequently, no real restriction here
* Scuba dive rarely (more due to lack of access to warm water)

I rode a chair lift at Bear Valley this year with a guy 80 years old. I played golf with a guy 91 years old. I guess it all depends on how you define GOOD years left. With lowered expectations and slowly eliminating an activity here or there, I hope to have 20 to 25 good years left.
jkern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:57 AM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe
I'm 28 and have anxiety that I will wake up one day and be 65.
I have a lot planned between now and then, so hopefully by the time my body gives out on me all I will want to do is sit back and read a good book.
nokkieny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:58 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets
Wow. This is a very sobering thread.Really making me think hard about the limited amount of time Iíve got left.Iím 63 and had been planning on FIRíing (leaving off the ďEĒ because of my age) this summer, but havenít set a date or given notice yet.Recent poor performance of my portfolio and the realization that I may need to provide some ongoing financial support to a not-quite-launched adult son had me considering OMY.But, reading everyoneís stories here has forced me to re-commit to FIR back on my original schedule (waiting on some RSUís to vest).

Other than taking daily meds and being closely watched by my doctor for blood pressure and high cholesterol, I feel good and donít have any real restrictions on physical activity. But, I donít have the stamina that I used to have, and I know things will eventually get worse, not better.So, it really is time for me to FIR, and start doing what I want to do while I can still do it.

Thanks for starting this thread. Itís been a good reality check for me.
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...
I will be 68 in a couple of months and I am still active. I plan a bike trip to Costa Rica in the next couple of years and a zip line experience is in the mix. I bungee jumped in NZ a couple of years ago. I was still popping up on a slalom ski last year and expect to keep that up for a few more.

For both DW and I cycling is our mainstay and we hope to keep it up into our 80s. Staying active and maintaining weight are the keys to achieving that but s**t happens. If I am knocked out of biking and hiking I hope I can at least keep reading. After that my exit plan kicks in if I am still capable and of a mind for it.
Every man is, or hopes to be, an Idler. -- Samuel Johnson
donheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...
Hard to say how many good years one has left. We all decline steadily, some slower than others.

When you are bedridden or wheelchair bound, you will recall the time when you can get out of bed and go to the toilet by yourself, and say "those are my good years".
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leo Tolstoy
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:09 AM   #33
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Based on the octagenerians that I ride bikes fast with, I think I will be able to keep going until my mid-80s. That is, if they keep making me ride faster to keep up with them.
The biking part is not nearly as hard as the recovery from a bad fall.

I do have to agree that strenuous bike riding will keep older folks fit longer and put less stress on the knees which exhibit a high failure rate from running, etc.
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #34
Certainly something I think about too. Will be 66 in a couple months and in excellent shape/health. Workout every day and O2 uptake capacity in mid to high 40's. Take 1-2 bike trips, mostly to Europe, every year with a group that is about 15 years younger than I. Wife is 7 years younger than I am and in equally good shape/health. Still enjoy downhill skiing every year.

I figure I'm good to continue on this way (baring a serious injury or illness) till at least mid 70's maybe 80? At that point there are e-bikes that I can use to extend things. Of course there are no guarantees.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:16 AM   #35
Have you noticed that ladies have their first major health issues at age 50, as it's something to do with their plumbing makup and menopause. Men wait until age 60 to fall apart--the first time. But if men live long enough, the chances are the old prostrate will cause trouble.

I just turned 66, and I'm doing okay physically other than having type II diabetes. I chose to go on an insulin pump in order to remain more stable in blood sugar, and those on the pump average living 2 years longer. My genes were stacked against me, as my father and uncle were on hemodialysis due to kidney failure. My 59 year old girl cousin never went to the doctor and she's on hemodialysis and in a wheelchair--looking like she's 80 years old. Hows that to motivate me to eat right?

Unfortunately, diabetics also have about a 2/3 chance that they'll require open heart surgery and have circulation problems--in addition to kidney problems.

So who knows how long we have on this earth. The rest of my family has longtivity--dying in their 90's. My aunt made it to 99 years and 8 months. I'll take those odds.
Bamaman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:17 AM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets
55-70 is what I consider the best years for active life! Anything beyond 70 is a bonus. I'm planning to FIRE at age 55 in four years.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
- Ben Franklin
retire2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets
Having turned 55, it occasionally comes as a shock when I simply do not have the raw muscle to move a heavy object. I mean, the will is there, but the body clearly will not do it. At 40 I could spend the whole day moving wheelbarrows of gravel (garden stuff) and take a day to recover. Now? Not so much...
I'm trying to retain the muscle mass, but it seems to be a losing battle. I now have to seriously plan for times when I know the physical exertion will be high. Kinda makes me sad! Also, I try not to go on the roof or tall ladders when I don't have to.
More worried about the DW, since she's not so keen on a lot of exercise. I do keep dropping hints that I want to get out of the work force ASAP (no later than 64, hoping for 60). My family genes are not conducive to excellent health and stamina in the later years and, jeez, I'd like to have a decent amount of time to enjoy the fruits of my labor.
dadu007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:34 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets
56 and having this questions a lot lately. Physical activity has long been a big passion for me. Most recently racing bikes was my drug of choice. An unexpected series of health issues all hit about three years ago - lymphoma, aortic aneurysm, and a form of afib.

Not only can't I race but I have gone from one of the fast guys to struggling to keep up with the slow ones - a real ego reset to happen so suddenly.

This experience makes me wonder what malady will strike next and cause another expectation reset. Hopefully I have the worst behind me. It has definitely caused me to accelerate the priority of active travel while that is still on the table. 3 years ago I would have bet I would be one of the fast 70 year olds I would ride with. Now I wonder if I just hope I am not the 70 year old touring Europe in a wheel chair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jabbahop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 09:36 AM   #39
Mid 50's so on basis of men in my family , things go downhill rapidly after 70, with most living to mid 80's.

OP Add a pole ?
ďThe finance industry is 5% rational people and 95% shamans and faith healers.Ē - Charlie Munger
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
MEN: So...How many GOOD years do you think you have left?
Old 05-25-2016, 09:38 AM   #40
MEN: So...How many GOOD years do you think you have left?

I'm not a guy, but honestly I wouldn't count on any intense physical activity over around age 70 or so.

I'll be 68 in a couple of weeks. OK, I'm female but anyway in my case I have noticed a much faster and more inexorable physical decline during the past year. I'm very glad that I do not long to travel, run marathons, or climb mountains, because I think that my physical capabilities have begun the decline that you are asking about. It's just part of life and it happens to all of us eventually if we live long enough.

Something I have noticed on the forum is that often our older members do not admit to the deleterious effects of aging. So maybe I am one of the first to age and I'll try to have the courage to admit it from time to time. Aging is part of life, if we are lucky enough to continue living long enough.

"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote