Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-25-2016, 12:15 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm still young...just turned 54 and have enjoyed good health my entire life and I haven't seen any real decrease yet, but I know it's coming. I have always lifted weights and done cardio so that could be part of the reason (besides my age) why I haven't seen a decrease. I walked 18 holes of golf this morning and finished with no aches or pains and still feel fresh in spite of a lot of hard work on Monday when I made over 100 trips up and down the stairs to the basement moving band gear and clearing out old studs and drywall from the removal of a wall, and transferring tools and reno supplies to the garage.

So, to answer the question, I like to think (hope?) that I have 20 good years left before there is a real decline.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2016, 12:30 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've seen a 78 year old man running triathlons beating people less than half his age. I plan to be like that guy, even if I'm not racing any longer...
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:31 PM   #63

I will be 70 in July. Good health (as far as I know). Physically active - walking (3 miles each morning), water sports, skiing, work around the house/cottage (lawn mowing, trimming, putting docks in/out). I take no medications and have no aches or pains so far. I think I feel as good as I did 10 to 20 years ago but who knows what tomorrow may bring.
misanman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:40 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post

I am completing a book, "Younger Next Year", that goes into the physical process of aging and how exercise can delay it.

If you do not get enough exercise, you are doomed. The body was not designed for the 20th+ century. It was designed for prehistoric man and the inputs from that style of living. When you do not get exercise (i.e. hunting, gathering, etc.), it is a signal to your that you are ready to die.

+1

I'm also a fan of "Younger Next Year". I really hope that the basic premise, rapid decline in physical capability can be delayed into the 80's by daily rigorous exercise and careful diet, holds true for us. On paper, for what it's worth, we're planning for the high activity "go-go" years to last into our 70's. This is based on what we see in our reasonably healthy, but much older friends. A big reason were retired early is to maximize the time DW and I can enjoy these active years.

Financially, our withdrawals are also front-loaded. We're reasonably confident that we have enough to pay for the "go-go" years and many of the "slow go" years that are likely to follow. We'd like to have the most fun while we can still move and remember what we just did...

Most of us are "beating the odds" financially by retiring early. DW and I would love to do likewise by enjoying a long, active, and healthy life. In fact, you can say this is our next big project or goal now that we've achieved ER!

FB
Old 05-25-2016, 12:46 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Had to laugh! Or, "my shoulder hurts all the time, but I just don't pay attention to it anymore."
Cue George Burns' quote

"You know you are old when everything hurts. What does not hurt does not work" -- George Burns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
... and if you've had plenty of fun when younger, whose to say that sitting on the porch isn't enjoyable too? I already spend a lot of time kickin' back with my kitties at home, and love every minute of it.
Well, then it's time to get off the porch and take off in the RV. You can take the kitties too. Many RV'ers whose blogs I read travel solo with their cats. Do it soon, while you are still young and fit.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

"glucosamine is a scam for joint pain"

THIS- 100% agree
Old 05-25-2016, 12:49 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Retired at 58 (almost 7 years ago) and turning 65 in a month. Live in a retirement community and have access to an indoor pool where we swim laps. Was doing three days/week and now doing two days/week. Ride our bikes just about every day when it's warm and walk in cooler months (in the mall in colder/wetter months). Snow removal and lawn mowing are in the HOA, but we do a lot of gardening in the yard (SFH). We winter down south since retiring and walk and golf while there.

We've also changed our diet to eliminate most meat - kind of vegan/vegetarian, but still like a good steak or hamburger occasionally. This has helped health-wise tremendously. Owe all this to DW, who pushes me along to a healthier me. Wouldn't say we're the athletic types, but since retiring it has been part of our daily habits. I have noticed that the last couple of years things have slowed a bit and my body lets me know when I've overdone it (even with gardening).

We believe it's important to stay active and moving, as it appears to slow the aging process and keep us active enough to enjoy more than the TV. Also have no regrets about pulling the plug and retiring early (58/57) - enjoyed everything so far and looking forward to many more active years.
fritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:52 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

As I often say here, I am not athletic, but reasonably trim and active. My bloodwork has always been good, and I take no meds. Yet, I could have died a couple of years ago because of a sudden problem (I am OK now).

Right now, no part of my body hurts (and everything still works ).

I do not know how much time I have left, but worrying about it is not productive. I am enjoying life as I can. I make plans only a few months in advance. I will be at a seaside Mexican resort next week with my grown children and son-in-law. When I come back, maybe I will look to take a European trip in fall. Maybe a river cruise, which I have not done. I don't know. There are so many places I have not been, and so it should not be too hard to go somewhere new, see something I have not seen, eat something I have not eaten.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:53 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Ah, at some point, you will think "Why even bother", and just sit in your rocking chair and enjoy the petunia on your front porch.

Is it depressing? No, it's just life. Life is not always about jumping up and down with exuberance. Life can be very sober, and even sad.
Seems like retirement can have several stages, almost certainly from active to less active. These transitions don't seem easy, especially if considered negative. Adapting to change, whether considered positive or negative, is just part of life.

Funny, apparently many folks dread retirement as a time to grow old and die, so I'm told by the mass media. I'm glad that most here embrace it as a time to take care of the important business of living, especially in light of the realization that we won't be healthy forever.

FB
Old 05-25-2016, 01:03 PM   #70

Just turned 55 two years retired. Father was very active until 73 when he died of sudden cardiac death. His heart issues were probably smoking related and I have never done that and am very active. Mother still going at 83. So I am hoping for 25 more good ones. Still playing hockey 2-3 times per week. Tennis. Ski. Cycle. Garden like crazy. My gardening must be different than that mentioned above as it is not a low intensity proposition. With a hilly acre of green I think that I get a pretty good workout most days. I have quite a few good role models for living well in old age so hopefully I will be able to emulate them. DW and I certainly have much travel planned once we get the last of the nestlings out and she fully retires. But who knows with smartphones and texting that bus with my number on it may get me tomorrow.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:18 PM   #71

Just turned 57. I've always been athletic - ran a marathon to celebrate my 45th, did a sprint triathlon at 50. I am stronger than I ever have been due to finally being conscientious about weight training but there is no doubt that my endurance has decreased, at least in part due to nagging injuries that prevent running (arthritic ankle and bad knee, especially). The most noticeable things about aging to me have been A) just how rapidly I decondition if I lay off for a week or two, and B) how much longer it takes to recover after deconditioning. Even 10 years ago, I could take 10 days off of training to let an injury recover and really wouldn't notice any loss when I resumed. Now, however, 10 days off and I almost feel like I'm starting over.
jjquantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 01:27 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I'll be 74 in 4 months and 2 days, (if I make it).....
Bottom line....when I hit 60 I thought "If this is as bad as it gets then no probs"......but the bridge between 60 and 70 (for most of us, I suspect), is far wider than the bridge between 50 and 60, and the one between 70 and 80 is huge.
At 69 I am finding much the same with a far wider bridge between 60 and 70 than 50 and 60. Had rotator cuff and knee surgery in 60's, with knee replacement on the schedule for this winter. I have always been very active but have found proper exercise more difficult when knee or shoulder requires surgery.
btdt22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:06 PM   #73

It all depends on how you define your life. My Dad was largely sedentary and enjoyed culture, academics, conversation and dining well into his 80s. I'm sure he felt all but the last 3 or 4 years of his life were good ones.

For good or ill I've taken a different path and have been involved in "action sports" (the kind where you occasionally hit the ground really fast and break bones) for much of my adult life. Though I've been luckier than most in avoiding the inevitable injuries I am keenly aware that my recovery time is MUCH longer at 55 than it was 20, or even 10, years ago. Others in my sport seem to last into their mid-late '60s and occasionally into their late '70s if they're careful - though at that point injuries can be life changing/ending.

So I have, at best, 15-20 or so "good" years likely followed by another 15-20 years missing the good old days. Nothing like preemptive nostalgia.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 02:12 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Approaching 62. Have been formally exercising since my mid-30s. Was active in sports growing up. Also, genetically the "sprinter" type. Current weight is 177, ~20% bf. RHR about 60, BP 110/60-ish. Triglycerides a bit high, a product of genetics as well; runs in the family. Have a few vices... :-P

Weights 2-3 days/wk, and am the strongest I've ever been. Walk most every day, and bike when the weather cooperates, but, even though I've added strength, I can definitely tell I've lost stamina, and also flexibility. Stuff hurts a bit more, especially joints, and recovery is slower. Need to work on those areas...

Not planning on ascending Everest, but am hoping that staying active will allow staying active longer.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:06 PM   #75
Recycles dryer sheets

Fascinating thread - I'm 52 and it hurts to write that down.

I was going to mention yoga but I see the OP was active in that - I'm still in the beginner's class and I love it. If you can do level 2 or 3 yoga you are healthy, almost by definition.

Biking: I love it almost as much as running. Looking forward to doing it for many years I hope.

I would consider fishing to be an active pursuit - much more active than golf. I spent last weekend wading up- and down-stream, crawling over and under branches, and casting thousands of times. I'm worried that I won't be able to wade when I'm in my 70s but I see guys out there doing it.

I'm very happy with where my fitness level is going, but I don't think of fitness as "winning" anything. I was never a competitive athlete so I'm not burdened by any memories that I'm not living up to. My main concern remains having the time to enjoy the things I want to do.

When I eventually slow down, I'll be in front of my stereo with Wagner blasting away, or pointing a telescope at the stars.

I will really miss not being able to travel, if and when that goes away. It's one of the main reasons I want to start winding down by my late-50s.
I'm also worried about the bad Midwestern winters, as I greatly prefer the outdoors to gyms.

Thanks for posting this thread
AboutThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:07 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think worrying about how many good years do I have left is wrong-headed. When and if your years become other than good, you will know. Until then, laissez les bon temps rouler!

Ha
The theme of this thread is definitely of interest. What is the answer? Perhaps HaHa has it.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:47 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
I plan to be like that guy
What was it that Robbie Burns said about "Mice and Men"?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #78

I turn 62 this year, and I've wondered how long I'll still be able to go on bicycle trips, something I've done since I was 18. I still bike all the time, often running errands on my bike, and I commuted by bike many of the years that I was a working stiff.

I also walk a lot and like to garden. I've always been physically active.

My dad was a good role model. Not only did he ER at 55, he played tennis regularly until he was 85. Alas, my dad suddenly developed polymyalgia at 85 and never regained his stamina or strength once he was diagnosed and successfully treated. He died last year at 94.

My mom said a couple of memorable things after she attended her 50th high school reunion. She said that 1/3 of her class was already dead. She also said, "the women didn't look great, but the men looked like hell."
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
You'll notice a much bigger drop off in your 40s. Stuff at 35 that ached for a couple days and was funny/annoying becomes "man... my shoulder has hurt for two years now..."
Ha ha! We're still at the laughing about getting old and feeling the burn phase of life. I poke fun at DW all the time about getting old and her aches and pains (she's still in her 30's). It's fun now.

And yes, the fatigue and soreness disappears after a day or two pretty much no matter how hard we push it (unless it's a legitimate injury).
Old 05-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #80

I"m not sure when the active vacations will become more difficult. I'm 64 DW 65. We have both been active all of our lives. We bicycle several thousands miles per year for vacations, commuting and recreation. Our last ride was February when we rode the Missippi River Trail averaging about 50 miles per day on a loaded bike. We also walk and recently signed up for a personal trainer.

I play basketball with a group of 50 to 75 year olds twice a week. I bike the 6 miles each way to the gym. This game is a little slow for me (when the 10 most fit and aware players are on the court it is a competitive game) but the game with all the players is fun and convenient.

I also just laced the hockey skates after about 30 years. I am playing with a group from about 30 to 80 years old. That has been physically challenging but I am getting my wind back. The good news is my ice hockey skills were never very good so I did not lose much.

Having said all this, we had our first change of plans as a result of health. We were ready to bike the Erie Canal, a 500+ mile bike trip, but DW ended up with a disc operation. Her recovery is going very well. We are hoping that is something that could have happened at 35 as well at 65. We will see. So, far her recovery is looking very good.

I am willing to cut back and expect that will happen but right now, I think I will be OK for the next 5 years. Well that is as far as I want to look now.
savory is offline   Reply With Quote