Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurence View Post
Sitting here nursing turf toe from helping coach my daughter's softball team at age 41 here, y'all are bringing me down!
First it's your toe, then your ankle, then your knee. Doesn't take much imagination to figure out what will let you down next...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2016, 02:18 PM   #142
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Agree with those who said core muscles very important to prevent back pain. I have been doing core exercises since my last major lower back "episode" in 2006. Two months in a wheelchair just as I retired was a poor start to retirement. So lost 20 lbs and started core exercises and back has been good since.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:43 PM   #143
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
First it's your toe, then your ankle, then your knee. Doesn't take much imagination to figure out what will let you down next...
Your ego?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 02:48 PM   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Your ego?
I was thinking hip...
Old 05-27-2016, 02:59 PM   #145
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was thinking hip...
Cool, Baby.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Cool, Baby.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I hear tell, there's a blue pill for that. It's an upper for those who are down. All hearsay.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:21 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I hear tell, there's a blue pill for that. It's an upper for those who are down. All hearsay.

Ha, let me tell you from experience, its also an even better upper for those who are already up. A great "recreational drug". Well it was anyways, as I found out there are 2 sides to the story. I found out GF is not so enamored with the marathons. Was told not to use them anymore... Tried to sneak one in a few weeks later and my bloodshot eyes gave me away and I got yelled at. Wasn't good....I am afraid the rest are just stranded assets now. Good thing I didn't buy many..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:24 PM   #149

T - m - i .....
Old 05-27-2016, 07:42 PM   #150
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
T - m - i .....

Sorry RE... You had it coming...You took the train down this track!

Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #151
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by hesperus View Post
kcowan,
hope the bike barge tour goes well, and the legs come through!
Thank you! Given that tendon problems take a year to get better, my plan is to take strong pain killers and cycle through the pain! This is a bucket list item so I am being a bit pig-headed. I have found the cycling places the biggest stress on the tendons whereas walking seem to be going well.
Old 05-28-2016, 06:50 AM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter View Post
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for this thread and all the honesty on this subject. As DH turns 50 this year I have noticed some definite slowing down in him (he used to go 24/7 nonstop doing very physical labor all day long). It helps to know what to expect down the road as we age. Very enlightening!
8 years ago we had our wall-to-wall carpeting replaced. It involved disconnecting three electronic delivery points in the house. Two TV/satellite/DVD/PC locations, one with a surround sound system attached, and the third our Internet infrastructure with our printer/scanner/wifi.

This week we upgraded to engineered floating hardwood. So the same task had to be repeated. After 8 years, much of the tasks were relearning. But what I also noticed was that I needed more time to accomplish the tasks. For four days, this was the number one task for DW and I. We each had one outside commitment each day but never simultaneously.

We got it done but I would suggest that these tasks just take longer. But we fell it is important to step up to the task to put off physical degradation as long as possible,

(We retired for the first time 24 years ago and for the last time 14 years ago.)

The biggest change is that we can no longer sustain a marathon effort like we used to. We just plan to for time to accomplish the tasks.

(And I now have to get rid of all the spare wires that 8 years makes redundant!)
Old 05-28-2016, 06:54 AM   #153
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Agree with those who said core muscles very important to prevent back pain. I have been doing core exercises since my last major lower back "episode" in 2006. Two months in a wheelchair just as I retired was a poor start to retirement. So lost 20 lbs and started core exercises and back has been good since.
One day you will probably look to that incident as a milestone forcing you to focus on your health right from the start!

Such events can be problems or opportunities. You have taken the opportunity.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
One day you will probably look to that incident as a milestone forcing you to focus on your health right from the start!

Such events can be problems or opportunities. You have taken the opportunity.
Thanks. Let me know how the trip goes. We leave for Umbria on Tuesday.
Old 05-28-2016, 07:47 AM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks. Let me know how the trip goes. We leave for Umbria on Tuesday.
We just finished replacing 2000 sq.ft. of wall-to-wall carpet with floating hardwood. We are ready for our holiday!
Old 05-28-2016, 08:31 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We just finished replacing 2000 sq.ft. of wall-to-wall carpet with floating hardwood. We are ready for our holiday!
Wow, your a better man than I.
Old 05-28-2016, 01:43 PM   #157

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Ha, let me tell you from experience, its also an even better upper for those who are already up. A great "recreational drug". Well it was anyways, as I found out there are 2 sides to the story. I found out GF is not so enamored with the marathons. Was told not to use them anymore... Tried to sneak one in a few weeks later and my bloodshot eyes gave me away and I got yelled at. Wasn't good....I am afraid the rest are just stranded assets now. Good thing I didn't buy many..

ROTFLMAO.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #158

Quote:

Thanks for the LOL, it was so loud that I woke my husband up. He is recovering from bad food poisoning.
I've heard it gave Hugh Hefner lots of problem. Apparently he is in a wheel chair now, maybe that's the side effect.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #159
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
..I am afraid the rest are just stranded assets now. Good thing I didn't buy many..

You can always give them to your friends, I assume?
Old 05-28-2016, 02:03 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wow, your a better man than I.
Yes we have been in this place for 19 years, and had one new carpet installed 8 years ago. So I knew what I was in for. Mostly the wiring for the 6 speaker stereo. Managed to get rid of many redundant items. HDMI replaces so many cables. And wifi replaces the LAN cables. No VCR hookups. But reassembling the wall unit was a challenge.

Of course we had upgraded to flat panel TVs with DVD players many years ago so some of the problem had been dealt with. But we love the new hardwood floor and think the air quality has improved. It feels like a new place yet familiar.

(Incidentally, the four-man installing team took four days, with the boss coming back next week just to finish up. Luckily it was a fixed price bid.)