Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-01-2016, 08:56 AM   #181
Full time employment: Posting here.

It recently occurred to me that I've been in my current house for 16 years now, and it doesn't seem nearly that long. Thinking ahead, the next 16 years will probably fly by even quicker and then I'll be 71 years old. That really put things into perspective for me.

So no matter how many good years I have left, I think they're going to fly by really fast! I'm 55 right now, healthy and about as fit as I've ever been (well, almost). Hoping to make the most out of however many good years remain.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 10:06 AM   #182
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tried to live like I have one more good day left.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #183
Dryer sheet wannabe

Rico
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #184

Pobre
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:50 AM   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Just thought of something for all to look into. Got this from my wife's ophtamologist who has been treating her for very poor eyesight, retina peels, possible cornea transplant, etc. Told my wife they are working on stem cell transplants. We got to talking and he said this is really coming on strong in all fields of medicine. I heard of a man recently that did stem cell transplant on his knee but don't know results. Maybe if you have the time and the money, you should all start to read up on this.
I recently had a PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) procedure conducted on my knee as a test prior to stem cell transplant. If it didn't help then the much more expensive stem cell transplant would also not be of any help. Unfortunately it didn't help and I still have bum knees. Both the PRP and stem cell transplant are not covered by insurance. I tried the PRP injections 3 times just to be sure at a cost of about $600/treatment so it wasn't expensive. Blood was drawn and then centrifuged before injecting in the joint. Not a painful procedure. The stem cell transplant requires a tap into your hip bone (painful) before processing and injecting into the joint.

Presently I am using the Euflexxa injection (like Synvisc and other lubricants) with limited success to stall the inevitable knee replacement. Bummer!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:23 AM   #186
Recycles dryer sheets

Very uplifting Thread fellas. I think I’m going to really Yuck it up now while I read the Obits over my morning coffee!
Islandtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 09:57 PM   #187

I turned 58 in May and just finished a 10 mile 2400 vertical foot hike. Sounds like bragging, but for the last 20 years before semi-retiring I slowly let my fitness slip while working. Now that I semi-retired to Reno (I work about 15-20 hours per week, not in summers, from home), I've taken advantage of the almost unlimited hiking and skiing and feel more fit than I did 10 years ago. Walking 5-10 miles 3 or 4 times a week and skiing 2 times a week can do a lot in a year, and now I'm fly fishing in summer to replace skiing.

My grandparents lived to mid 80s to mid 90s and great-grandparents (except the maternal great-grandmother) into their mid 80s to 90's, so I suspect that's probably what I can expect. My paternal grandfather fly fished into his late 80's, then boat fished--he said it wasn't like fly fishing but it would do OK. He drove from his winter home in Oklahoma to his Colorado cabin (that he built when I was 6) until the year he died, at 93. He bought a log splitter in his mid 80s since he said he didn't trust his ability to chop wood anymore. He and my grandparents are my role models for aging.
Do what you can do; if you can't do it anymore, do something else, and enjoy it. And give back.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:23 PM   #188

I can't help but admire or doubt the various folk saying they're in better shape in ER than ever before. I've made a pretty good effort (cycling or hiking most days, dropping my BMI by 1.5 and generally getting in good cardiovascular condition), but at 56 there's really no comparison to my 20s and 30s. During those years I could I could run half-marathons or do 25 mile hikes without prep and not really notice it the next day. If I tried that now I'd be laid up for weeks.

I'm not complaining. My level of activity satisfies me, but to claim it's anything close to what I once had would be shear bravado. I fully expect the cumulative joint wear and increasing recovery time I've experienced over the last few decades to proceed apace, and for my activity level to slowly but steadily diminish. This is OK. My job now is just to do as much as I can with what I've got left.
stepford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #189

At 20 after graduating I worked in a factory for 9-10 hours, then ran 6-8 miles in a heat wave (in Abilene, mid 90's even at 7-8 pm).
I may be in my late 50's now but I'm not that stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepford View Post
At 56 there's really no comparison to my 20s and 30s. During those years I could I could run half-marathons or do 25 mile hikes without prep and not really notice it the next day. If I tried that now I'd be laid up for weeks.
RobLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:40 AM   #190

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLJ View Post
I turned 58 in May and just finished a 10 mile 2400 vertical foot hike. Sounds like bragging, but for the last 20 years before semi-retiring I slowly let my fitness slip while working. Now that I semi-retired to Reno (I work about 15-20 hours per week, not in summers, from home), I've taken advantage of the almost unlimited hiking and skiing and feel more fit than I did 10 years ago. Walking 5-10 miles 3 or 4 times a week and skiing 2 times a week can do a lot in a year, and now I'm fly fishing in summer to replace skiing.

I hope this works for me; heartening to know that my plans aren't a complete fairytale! Pre-retirement, it is a struggle to even get 3 5K runs a week in during much of the year (Thankfully, midsummer is here and DW doesn't mind eating dinner at 830; so going for 5-7 for a bit.) Starting sometime mid-2017, I hope to be doing a gentle, self-administered version of bootcamp....
Old 06-13-2016, 07:50 AM   #191

Badger, I've had both knees replaced (total replacement) with outstanding results. Now if I could only get my spine to cooperate! Knee replacement is a tough recovery- ninety days start to finish. Back to golf after 90.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #192
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Last year I was regularly climbing around 4,500 - 5,300 stairs......just prior to, and after turning 73.

Towards the end of March I developed sciatica, which got worse and worse, (we were in Spain), and upon our return home and, since our doctor has relocated elsewhere, went down to Emergency where I sat for eight hours. X-rays were finally taken, and I was advised to take anti-inflammatory painkillers "And perhaps it'll go away".

Shortly thereafter I started sessions with a chiropractor who is now puzzled by my lack of response, since I appear to be in otherwise good shape.

He requested & received a summary of the X-rays which indicated that, on top of multilevel degenerative disc disease throughout the lumbar spine, I also have an unexplained 'osseous bump' which may, or may not, be impeding recovery.

Chiro suggested an MRI, and wrote a note to that effect to the Hospital because we still don't have a doctor, (apparently they're leaving in droves); I went back to Emergency to see if I could just hand in the request, (since they have all the X-rays & documentation), and have them schedule the MRI.....not a chance..so it's probably going to mean another eight hour shift.

(As an aside, I spoke to a hospital volunteer who was running interference for the triage......she mentioned that she didn't have a doctor either, since hers had relocated to the UK......figure, with all the medical contacts she must have, if she can't find a doctor....)

Anyway...the purpose of this post, (since you're likely wondering why I'm babbling), is to note that, however well you think you're doing today, tomorrow is another thing altogether.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 09:53 AM   #193
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Last year I was regularly climbing around 4,500 - 5,300 stairs......just prior to, and after turning 73.

Towards the end of March I developed sciatica, which got worse and worse, (we were in Spain), and upon our return home and, since our doctor has relocated elsewhere, went down to Emergency where I sat for eight hours. X-rays were finally taken, and I was advised to take anti-inflammatory painkillers "And perhaps it'll go away".

Shortly thereafter I started sessions with a chiropractor who is now puzzled by my lack of response, since I appear to be in otherwise good shape.

He requested & received a summary of the X-rays which indicated that, on top of multilevel degenerative disc disease throughout the lumbar spine, I also have an unexplained 'osseous bump' which may, or may not, be impeding recovery.

Chiro suggested an MRI, and wrote a note to that effect to the Hospital because we still don't have a doctor, (apparently they're leaving in droves); I went back to Emergency to see if I could just hand in the request, (since they have all the X-rays & documentation), and have them schedule the MRI.....not a chance..so it's probably going to mean another eight hour shift.

(As an aside, I spoke to a hospital volunteer who was running interference for the triage......she mentioned that she didn't have a doctor either, since hers had relocated to the UK......figure, with all the medical contacts she must have, if she can't find a doctor....)

Anyway...the purpose of this post, (since you're likely wondering why I'm babbling), is to note that, however well you think you're doing today, tomorrow is another thing altogether.
Hey Nemo2, what is it with all the doctors leaving? Is this something that is just going on in Canada?

I am 72 and on Medicare and have had no problems with finding doctors. Maybe if we ever go to a single payer system in the U.S. the doc's will leave here too?

Where are they all going?
Old 06-13-2016, 09:55 AM   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Wait - - if there are 20 stairs per floor, roughly, and you were climbing around 5000 stairs, that would be climbing 250 floors every day? That just seems.... incredible.

I am so sorry that you are having this back trouble. I completely agree, that tomorrow is another thing altogether. Maintaining my physical capabilities has been a losing battle lately although I am still working at it.

Normally I never, ever take OTC pain killers as a matter of principle, but recently I tried taking Aleve regularly for persistent knee pain to see what effect that might have. The only reason I took it was that I was *sure* the doctors would ask me first what OTC pain medication I was taking for my knees when I go to have them checked out. I noticed that Aleve worked even better for some acute, excruciatingly painful sciatica that I was having, than it did for the knee pain. It might be worth trying unless you already did.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:04 AM   #195

No male in my family has lived past 77. Something to think about. Might not need to save a ton for retirement.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 10:16 AM   #196
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Hey Nemo2, what is it with all the doctors leaving? Is this something that is just going on in Canada?

I am 72 and on Medicare and have had no problems with finding doctors. Maybe if we ever go to a single payer system in the U.S. the doc's will leave here too?

Where are they all going?
In our, perhaps not so humble opinions, the situation in Ontario can likely be traced directly to government/bureaucratic mismanagement, (and possibly the siphoning off of allocated funds which are then applied to hare brained schemes).....but I'm not going to suggest that; perhaps others more conversant with the 'system' can talk to the issue.

Here's one small example though......couple years back DW had some surgery which required post-op bandaging, etc, and the VON https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Order_of_Nurses were suggested to undertake those services.

Could DW contact the VON directly, in order to set up a schedule? Not a chance......she had to go to a fully staffed office whose function it would appear was pretty much the equivalent of forwarding e-mails. (Oh, and we also have a couple agencies whose mandate is to tell callers that there are no doctors accepting patients.)

Where are the doctors all going? No idea, but we heard from someone in the field that any doctors who might consider accepting new patients will only take those who don't need to see a doctor - Yossarian would be in his element!

Old 06-13-2016, 10:29 AM   #197
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In our, perhaps not so humble opinions, the situation in Ontario can likely be traced directly to government/bureaucratic mismanagement, (and possibly the siphoning off of allocated funds which are then applied to hare brained schemes).....but I'm not going to suggest that; perhaps others more conversant with the 'system' can talk to the issue.

Here's one small example though......couple years back DW had some surgery which required post-op bandaging, etc, and the VON https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Order_of_Nurses were suggested to undertake those services.

Could DW contact the VON directly, in order to set up a schedule? Not a chance......she had to go to a fully staffed office whose function it would appear was pretty much the equivalent of forwarding e-mails. (Oh, and we also have a couple agencies whose mandate is to tell callers that there are no doctors accepting patients.)

Where are the doctors all going? No idea, but we heard from someone in the field that any doctors who might consider accepting new patients will only take those who don't need to see a doctor - Yossarian would be in his element!
Ouch!

While we can still find doctors here that accept Medicare (over 65 years old patients), their numbers are diminishing. Fortunately, most doctors in the U.S. are doing OK financially and are available if you have the cash or really good insurance.

As an example, my BIL's son's wife is a dental surgeon and does not accept insurance in her practice. From what I can tell, they are very well off financially (being conservative here).
Old 06-13-2016, 10:57 AM   #198
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wait - - if there are 20 stairs per floor, roughly, and you were climbing around 5000 stairs, that would be climbing 250 floors every day? That just seems.... incredible.
There are 59 outside wooden stairs/risers on the ones we use(d), and the most I ever did in one session was 115 repeats = 6,785 steps. From the ground to the observation pod on the CN Tower in Toronto is 1,776 steps, I regularly did the equivalent of 2 or 3 repeats........in fact I only quit, (although I was tiring/tired), on the 115 repeat day (Sept 01/13, the equivalent of 3.82 CN Tower pods), because I was getting bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Normally I never, ever take OTC pain killers as a matter of principle, but recently I tried taking Aleve regularly for persistent knee pain to see what effect that might have. The only reason I took it was that I was *sure* the doctors would ask me first what OTC pain medication I was taking for my knees when I go to have them checked out. I noticed that Aleve worked even better for some acute, excruciatingly painful sciatica that I was having, than it did for the knee pain. It might be worth trying unless you already did.
I started, at the Emergency doctor's suggestion, taking Advil, (almost solely for the anti-inflammatory properties, and even then at about half the dosage he recommended)........I took a few Aleve in Spain, simply because I had no choice, but I have an aversion to masking pain and likely exacerbating whatever damage is being done.

Right now I'm taking nothing. (The Nemo2 family motto: Combibo is sursum ranunculus )

Old 06-13-2016, 11:09 AM   #199
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There are 59 outside wooden stairs/risers on the ones we use(d), and the most I ever did in one session was 115 repeats = 6,785 steps. From the ground to the observation pod on the CN Tower in Toronto is 1,776 steps, I regularly did the equivalent of 2 or 3 repeats........in fact I only quit, (although I was tiring/tired), on the 115 repeat day (Sept 01/13, the equivalent of 3.82 CN Tower pods), because I was getting bored.
Wow! I am truly impressed. I knew you climbed a lot of steps - - but I never really calculated how many it was in some sort of way that I could visualize.
Quote:
I started, at the Emergency doctor's suggestion, taking Advil, (almost solely for the anti-inflammatory properties, and even then at about half the dosage he recommended)........I took a few Aleve in Spain, simply because I had no choice, but I have an aversion to masking
pain and likely exacerbating whatever damage is being done.
That is the reason why I never took OTC pain meds either. My father was a surgeon and did not approve of them, for exactly those reasons.
Quote:
Right now I'm taking nothing. (The Nemo2 family motto: Combibo is sursum ranunculus )
Me, too. I quit taking Aleve yesterday because I had taken it for 10 days, and gained 10 pounds without eating any more than usual. That didn't seem helpful for my knees, and then my BP went up too which is normal for Aleve, apparently. I guess my body is trying to tell me something. Anyway, it was nice for a while, and helped my mobility a lot. The effect on my occasional excruciating sciatica was icing on the cake.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:20 AM   #200
Give me a forum ...

Update: DW just got off the phone to the provincial agency that assigns doctors......the lady to whom she spoke advised her that her doctor had also left, and she too was without a physician.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?