Join Early Retirement Today

MetLife wants your money........
Old 10-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

MetLife wants your money........

Latest fixed annuity rates from MetLife:

5 year - 5.80% for five years

7 year - 6.30% for 7 years

10 year - 6.75% for 10 years

MetLife is an A+ rated company.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

How do these really work? Is the point of comparison versus CDs that you are you balancing a higher interest rate and State (less secure) insurance versus a lower interest rate and FDIC insurance for the CD?

Pros:
  • Guaranteed interest rate for XX years (like a CD)
  • Tax deferral on interest (If not taken as distribution)
Cons:
  • Money is tied up for XX years (Like a CD, except the next bullet)
  • More significant surrender charges versus CDs
  • Not FDIC insured, but (some) state insured to $XXX limit
What are the other differences?

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsquared View Post
How do these really work? Is the point of comparison versus CDs that you are you balancing a higher interest rate and State (less secure) insurance versus a lower interest rate and FDIC insurance for the CD?

Pros:
  • Guaranteed interest rate for XX years (like a CD)
  • Tax deferral on interest (If not taken as distribution)
Cons:
  • Money is tied up for XX years (Like a CD, except the next bullet)
  • More significant surrender charges versus CDs
  • Not FDIC insured, but (some) state insured to $XXX limit
What are the other differences?

Thanks!
If you do a fixed annuity with non-qualified dollars the tax deferral comes at a price, the price is that it now falls under the same rules as IRAs, wheras the CD has no such limitations on it.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
If you do a fixed annuity with non-qualified dollars the tax deferral comes at a price, the price is that it now falls under the same rules as IRAs, wheras the CD has no such limitations on it.
FD, what would those rules be, assuming you are > 59.5 years of age? Is the deferred annuity interest treated as ordinary income?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:01 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I don't like the idea of annuities in general but must admit this is tempting considering our current environment.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
FD, what would those rules be, assuming you are > 59.5 years of age? Is the deferred annuity interest treated as ordinary income?
All deferred annuity interest comes out first, and is taxed as ordinary income. Principal returned is not taxed.........

Old 10-30-2008, 12:23 PM   #7

I hope their annuities aren't as bad as their dental insurance. My employer stuck us with this clunker of a dental plan this year and they are simply horrible.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled annuity discussion...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:24 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I hope their annuities aren't as bad as their dental insurance. My employer stuck us with this clunker of a dental plan this year and they are simply horrible.

MetLife is not known for their dental insurance. I think because its cheap, your boss was thinking he was doing you a favor, but they hardly cover anything..........

Old 10-30-2008, 12:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
MetLife is not known for their dental insurance. I think because its cheap, your boss was thinking he was doing you a favor, but they hardly cover anything..........
They're terrible. They fight you on every claim. My dentist says MetLife is the ONLY dental plan they don't accept as payment up front; they will file a claim for us (usually denied until we jump through a lot of hoops) but we have to pay in full up front and get reimbursed by insurance.

I've had more fighting with them this year than I had with all other dental insurers combined in all the rest of my life. I'm not inclined to willingly give them ANY of my business in any line of insurance offerings based on my experience with their dental plan.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:21 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
They're terrible. They fight you on every claim. My dentist says MetLife is the ONLY dental plan they don't accept as payment up front; they will file a claim for us (usually denied until we jump through a lot of hoops) but we have to pay in full up front and get reimbursed by insurance.

I've had more fighting with them this year than I had with all other dental insurers combined in all the rest of my life. I'm not inclined to willingly give them ANY of my business in any line of insurance offerings based on my experience with their dental plan.
Hmmm. I'll keep that in mind, although I haven't experienced any problems yet. I've only had it since June (when I returned to United Airlines after long term military leave) and have only had a couple of claims; one fully covered exam/cleaning and one filling. I didn't get that kind of reaction from my dentist's office and they only charged me for the patient portion when I got the filling. Hopefully my luck continues with this. I won't have to deal with it for long anyway since I'll be gone from United in January (being laid off - furloughed, in the industry parlance - as expected).
Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
I won't have to deal with it for long anyway since I'll be gone from United in January (being laid off - furloughed, in the industry parlance - as expected).
Howdy, sorry about the furlough.
Gearhead Jim, ORDFO retired 2005 and glad of it!
Old 10-30-2008, 11:33 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim View Post
Howdy, sorry about the furlough.
Gearhead Jim, ORDFO retired 2005 and glad of it!
Yep, second time around and probably the last. I think I'm done with that career job. It's not what it used to be, as you well know.

It'll be years before I'm recalled anyway, and I don't think I'll be up to it, unless things have changed drastically, and I can't imagine that being the case.

Cheers
Old 10-31-2008, 06:11 AM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

CORRECT: U.S. may extend bailout to insurers -- WSJ - MarketWatch

proceed cautiously
Old 10-31-2008, 07:26 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by riskadverse View Post
A story in the online edition of The Wall Street Journal citing unnamed sources reported insurers interested in exploring the sale of stakes to the government include MetLife

Well I guess that tells you why they have such attractive rates. They really need your money.
Old 10-31-2008, 08:26 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
A story in the online edition of The Wall Street Journal citing unnamed sources reported insurers interested in exploring the sale of stakes to the government include MetLife

Well I guess that tells you why they have such attractive rates. They really need your money.
I talked to a couple higher ups I know at MetLife. It seems the Treasury's "deal" is capital at ridiculously low cost of borrowing, even lower than their own cost of borrowing, so they look at it as diversification in a sense. Maybe the US govt is now an "angel investor"........

Old 10-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't like Metlife at all. The hassle of getting my wife's short term disability was awful. I will never use one of their products again if I can help it. Their customer service sucks.
Old 10-31-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Ya know Dawg, I don't think it would be too far a stretch to say that whenever you're offered attractive rates, the offerer really needs your money. Or, at a minimum, really wants your money......
Old 10-31-2008, 07:29 PM   #18

Quote:

We had Metlife for many years and it was fine....various dental offices told us our coverage was really good. Employer switched from Metlife to Delta Dental and coverage was the same...no changes, so maybe it's the details of the plan chosen by your employer that makes it a clunker. We also have Metlife group life and they just lowered premiums 40%....no complaints from me.
Old 10-31-2008, 07:30 PM   #19

Anyone know why Metlife doesn't offer anything close to the 6.75% in Maryland?