Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-12-2018, 11:25 PM   #161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I always liked that song. A multi-millionaire singing about having nothing.

I guess we'll always want what we don't have.
"I'd like to live like a poor man with lots of money" -- Picasso

I do not know how Picasso lived, but John Lennon certainly did not live like a poor man.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 11:52 PM   #162
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'm just a poor boy, nobody loves me
He's just a poor boy from a poor family
Spare him his life from this monstrosity

"Queen"

Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:01 AM   #163

This type of thread comes up once in a while. IMO, words like "middle," "upper middle" lifestyle are relative. If I were to make a distinction of the two "classes,"

Middle : live comfortably with lifestyle they enjoy
Upper middle: all of Middle + they splurge at will on things the "middle class" can't/won't.

By this definition, I am firmly in the "middle class" and am pretty happy at that. Could you please pass me the grey poupon?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:11 AM   #164
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Sorry this was so vague—it’s from John Lennon’s “Imagine”.
It was pretty clear ... to anybody who has heard the song.
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:31 AM   #165
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEC-1982 View Post
It was pretty clear ... to anybody who has heard the song.
It was also pretty clear, (well, to me anyway), that NW's response was a facetious reference to said song.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:58 AM   #166

I think these types of groups are hard to really nail down, because there are so many different definitions. You can break out middle versus upper-middle by income, wealth, lifestyle, and probably other factors as well. And, where you live is going to make a big difference as well.

If I make $100K per year, for example, there are some parts of the country where I could live like a king. But in some of the tonier areas, like Manhattan, Georgetown, etc, that's probably barely above minimum wage.

I just ran some numbers through various calculators. Income wise, I'm in roughly the top 18%. Wealth-wise, I'm in the top 7%. So, both of those would probably imply upper-middle class.

But, I also live in the DC suburbs. I'm only slightly above the median household income for my county, and well below the median for my zipcode. Now, I'm a single-earner, where a lot of those households are 2-income, or maybe even more than that.

As for wealth, I have no idea how to figure the median wealth in my area. But, I will say, there are a lot of Million $ houses, with Million $+ mortgages.

As for lifestyle? I'm driving a 15 year old Buick that I inherited when my Dad passed. I live in a 102 year old house with one bathroom, that's probably going to be a tear-down when I finally sell. I pack my lunch for work. "Eating fancy" is going to Burger King or Wendy's instead of McDonalds. I'm wearing a hand-me-down long sleeve shirt, jeans, and boots that are at least 10 years old. I haven't been on anything resembling an exotic vacation since late 2016, when i went to Aruba...but even that was on a bit of a budget. So, I don't know what you'd call my lifestyle. Blue collar?
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:36 AM   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Class is all about the stairs, really!

https://youtu.be/r5dMlXentLw
Hilarious! Thanks.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #168
Give me a forum ...

I liked the song "Imagine" when I was young, and still like the tune today.

But when I sat down and thought about it, one needs material to survive, and if my parents owned everything I needed, who would own what I need now? Big Brother?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
So, I don't know what you'd call my lifestyle. Blue collar?
LBYM?
Old 02-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #169
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Some of you folks seem to be taking this too personally. I was just trying to establish what Net worth would be needed to enjoy a "reasonable" standard of living based on one's individual requirements. The "class" label was used merely as a example in this case.

OK someone with a NW of $10m will have a different opinion than one with a NW of $3m. But for my purposes, I was using the $800 - $2.7m NW demographic.
I think what you're trying to establish is not upper/middle/lower class living. Warren Buffet lives a middle class, possibly lower middle class lifestyle. He goes to McDonald's for the cheapest breakfast possible and drives a simple car. He lives in the same house he's lived in forever. Sam Walton was the same way. Drove an old pick up truck and lived in a simple ranch house. Bill Gates used to travel economy when he became a billionaire and wore old rumpled up suits.

Living lower or middle class has nothing to do with money. So putting a person/family in that category is not reality. This FIRE forum is filled with financially savoy, frugal people who have figured out how to live as close to stress
free and comfortable without being billionaires.

I threw up a little when my DH and I went on a drive to Palm Beach, FL. Drove by Mar a Lago and the rest of the .1% of the wealthy, yes my math is right. These people live in cathedrals, not houses. I guess the disgust and wastefulness of the landscaping and gates and walls and yachts and on and on turned my stomach, almost to the point of tears.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:33 AM   #170
Full time employment: Posting here.

Home sweet home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post

...Drove by Mar a Lago and the rest of the .1% of the wealthy, yes my math is right. These people live in cathedrals, not houses. I guess the disgust and wastefulness of the landscaping and gates and walls and yachts and on and on turned my stomach...
And yet we can't look away! Like train wrecks and fires and tsunamis, they seize our attention and won't let go.

For centuries, the architects of palaces knew exactly what they were doing: creating spectacles to convince ordinary folks like us that The Man lives here. Versailles wasn't built because Louis XIV felt cramped in his Paris bungalow. Its colossal scale screams "All hail The Sun King!"

I can't guarantee that if I had billions I wouldn't build a sweet castle, too. Being a history geek, my tastes run toward drawbridges and moats and towers festooned with gargoyles. Unfortunately, or perhaps very fortunately, I don't have billions so that dream won't happen.

Maybe it's just as well; I read that Mar a Lago has 58 bedrooms. Fifty eight! I'd never be able to turn away freeloading relatives by using the excuse that I didn't have the space.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #171

I think the stratification of income and wealth is now at such an extreme that we need a lot more categories to really describe people's financial state.

My wife and I make a combined income of about 200k in the Minneapolis Metro area. We have a net worth of over $2 million. That makes us very well off by any objective measure, compared to most people. I'm not sure we can really be called middle-class anymore. You could call us upper, upper middle-class, or lower upper-class. We just don't have similar financial concerns to couples making 70k per year that have small amounts of savings, much less my younger brothers who are getting by on 30-40k per year. And they are better off than a huge chunk of the country.

However, we recently moved into a neighborhood where we are probably on the lower end of the financial spectrum. Some of my neighbors enough wealth that any income from working for salary is no longer really relevant. If I were to guess, I would suspect that a number of people on my street have 10-20 million net worths. They seem rich to me, and they really don't have the same kind of financial concerns that my wife and I have anymore.

Here's the funny thing though. They are pretty small fry themselves compared to the people living on Medicine Lake. And the people living on Medicine Lake are small fry compared to the people living on Lake Minnetonka. And those people are small fry to the hedge fund folks.

It boggles the mind.
Hamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:07 AM   #172
Give me a forum ...

No; you'd have your PA's PA's PA turn them away In between posting on the forum under your avatar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdlerth View Post
A
Maybe it's just as well; I read that Mar a Lago has 58 bedrooms. Fifty eight! I'd never be able to turn away freeloading relatives by using the excuse that I didn't have the space.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:11 AM   #173
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
Exactly right. Putting labels on people and classifying them just leads to biases and other problems, IMO.

What would you do with this info?
Relax, folks. Sometimes it's nice to just keep your own personal score without any nefarious motivation.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 AM   #174
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Living lower or middle class has nothing to do with money. So putting a person/family in that category is not reality. This FIRE forum is filled with financially savoy, frugal people who have figured out how to live as close to stress free and comfortable without being billionaires. ..
Splendid! I have some friends who made a lot of money but they have not changed their class. They might have some expensive possessions. But they are still soldly in the class they started in.

I started in working class but moved to middle class after graduating University and getting a well-paying job in technology. Long after passing the 2 commas in net worth, I am still middle class. The taxes I pay would classify me as upper middle. But class is not about income.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Again, a meaningless exercise with no point. Just so someone can say I am higher class than you. Jr. High stuff.
It has generated a lot of discussions & views, however.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:34 AM   #176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
It has generated a lot of discussions & views, however.
Yes, but only among the hoi polloi.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:45 AM   #177
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I think what you're trying to establish is not upper/middle/lower class living. Warren Buffet lives a middle class, possibly lower middle class lifestyle. He goes to McDonald's for the cheapest breakfast possible and drives a simple car. He lives in the same house he's lived in forever. Sam Walton was the same way. Drove an old pick up truck and lived in a simple ranch house. Bill Gates used to travel economy when he became a billionaire and wore old rumpled up suits.

Living lower or middle class has nothing to do with money. So putting a person/family in that category is not reality. This FIRE forum is filled with financially savoy, frugal people who have figured out how to live as close to stress
free and comfortable without being billionaires.

I threw up a little when my DH and I went on a drive to Palm Beach, FL. Drove by Mar a Lago and the rest of the .1% of the wealthy, yes my math is right. These people live in cathedrals, not houses. I guess the disgust and wastefulness of the landscaping and gates and walls and yachts and on and on turned my stomach, almost to the point of tears.
I'm a pretty conservative guy and have always been of the opinion that if one has the resources, then why not a mansion and a yacht. Now that I'm FIRE'd and living happily below my means and see the needs of others around me, I too become uneasy when I witness the over the top practice of affluence. Hey buddy, just how big of a lake house do you need? You are only there a couple weeks a year. Don't you know there are kids in your own county going hungry?
Old 02-13-2018, 11:01 AM   #178

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet View Post
Here's the funny thing though. They are pretty small fry themselves compared to the people living on Medicine Lake. And the people living on Medicine Lake are small fry compared to the people living on Lake Minnetonka.
Plymouth is a great location within 30 minutes of downtown Minneapolis and the lake is a lot quieter than Lake Minnetonka, which is crowded by big boats and farther to downtown.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:07 PM   #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I was teasing my friend Nemo. Like one would say "he has no class"....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Oh, I'm sure that way more than one person would say that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I will admit that DW has said that to me on more than one occasion.
Your DW said to you that Nemo2 has no class? And she said it more than once?
Old 02-13-2018, 02:11 PM   #180
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Your DW said to you that Nemo2 has no class? And she said it more than once?

MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote