Midwest National

mrbill

Confused about dryer sheets
Has anyone every heard of "Midwest National" as a health insurance provider and if so what is their reputation, or your experience? They claim to be able to offer the same coverage as my gold plated plan for about 2/3rds the cost

mrbill said:
Has anyone every heard of "Midwest National" as a health insurance provider and if so what is their reputation, or your experience? They claim to be able to offer the same coverage as my gold plated plan for about 2/3rds the cost

I don't know anything about them, but found this information on the Texas Department of Insurance website for a company called "MID-WEST NATIONAL LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY OF TENNESSEE".

Note that the company "redomesticated" from TN to TX last year and was acquired in March of this year by two LLC's (I have no idea what any of that means.)

Note also that in TX, their accident & health complaint index in 2004 was 5X average and 3X average in 2005.

Hope this helps.

REWahoo! said:
I don't know anything about them, but found this information on the Texas Department of Insurance website for a company called "MID-WEST NATIONAL LIFE INSURANCE COMPANY OF TENNESSEE". 

Note that the company "redomesticated" from TN to TX last year and was acquired in March of this year by two LLC's (I have no idea what any of that means.)

Note also that in TX, their accident & health complaint index in 2004 was 5X average and 3X average in 2005.

Hope this helps.

That would be enough to scare me away from them. Redomestication is not necessarily a red flag, but TX is one of the states with the , um, least enthusiastic regulators, which tends not to be good for consumers. Bought by LLCs suggests "financally motivated" ownership, another strike. No AM Best rating that I could find, which is another dark spot. And the complaint ratio...

Stick with your current insurer or find somebody else.

I got a quote from them just the heck of it and they were a little less but not 2/3 less. Dave Ramsey supposely use to recommend them, at least that is what the sales rep told me. Thats enough to make me leary of them.

I would stick with the big boys when it comes to health insurance. If I had no other options then I probably would give them a try.

DOG51 said:
Dave Ramsey supposely use to recommend them, at least that is what the sales rep told me. Thats enough to make me leary of them.
No kidding. Anyone depending on Dave Ramsey's endorsement has a heckuva publicity-challenged marketing campaign...

Back
Top Bottom