Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2008, 07:23 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Ytd down ~ 8.5%...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2008, 07:54 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Looking back YTD as of June 30... -7.68%.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

YTD -6.25%. 50/50. good chunk of DVY and DODBX.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:25 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Ytd -7.91%
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
Are you including the money you are putting in at the same time as well?
No, we are not the Beardstown Ladies.

I do keep track of my net worth growth on a monthly basis separately and fortunately that has been doing very well this year and over the long-term. To me, my net worth growth is the more important number.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

-8.35% by big dog Target 2015 (85% of portfolio). -4.5% when 15% Norwegian widow VG broker stocks added in. Apparently the utes and/or others have helped my doggy financials like BAC, C, and JP Morgan. Too lazy to to add in my sole remaining(have yet to kill) file cabinet of DRIPs - although I think UNP, NUE, etc would help my average.

As long as some of the individual stocks(like last year) don't go private/merge(like last year) and sock me with big unplanned CG taxes(like last year) and just quietly pay their dividends, I'll be happy.

Sometimes making money can be a pain in the butt - especially if you are retired and 'in your heart' a really cheap bastard.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #27

It is interesting to see these numbers and see how different people are doing over the first half of 08, but there are probably as many different ways of calculating them as there are posters in this thread.

. Is YTD (1-1-08 thru 6-30-08) the same thing as annualized?
. Including contributions made during the reporting period kindof polutes YTD return.

Anyway, we are somewhere between -3.6% and -5.6% in the first half of the year depending on how you look at it.

The YTD as of July 16 look a little worse by a couple of points.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't track YTD, just TD since I purchased and I don't count cash / interest accounts. So it not quite comparable to these time frames.
My retirement account: -3%
My wife’s retirement account: +11%
Our non-retirement account: + 61%

Several stock home runs and hard assets oriented purchases saved us so far.
HpRyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40 View Post
I do keep track of my net worth growth on a monthly basis separately and fortunately that has been doing very well this year and over the long-term. To me, my net worth growth is the more important number.
Same here. Net worth is the more important number for me. My long term goal is to increase net worth. Portfolio contributions and growth are a key component, but value-based spending and debt reduction are also a key component.

I'm down 8.55% through 6/30/08. 100% stocks. But net worth went up during both quarters of this year so far.
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:28 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Down 11% YTD and 26% off last autumn's all-time high...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:52 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikerdude View Post
YTD -6.25%. 50/50. good chunk of DVY and DODBX.
Yes it's been a miserable year for DODBX hasn't it (-14% YTD). In fact, this is far worse than anything it has seen in the past 10 years. 2002 was a cake walk for DODBX - down only -2.9%, and strongly positive the years before and after.

Value oriented funds have just been taken out and shot this time.

I suppose DVY has been creamed too. All them dividend stocks and financial stocks.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 09:57 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
. Is YTD (1-1-08 thru 6-30-08 ) the same thing as annualized?
They are different. To annualize -5% over six months for an entire year, you'd have to see what would happen if you lost at this rate all year:

Start with $1000 and you have $950 after six months. Now if you lost another 5% of the $950 in the next six months, you'd have $902.50. That's an annualized rate of -9.75%.

In this case, the annualized rate of return based on a six month value change, d, would be:

[ (1 + d)^2 ] - 1

With d being -7.68% (or -.0768 ) for my first half, my annualized return based on the first six months is:

(1 - .0768 )^2 - 1 = -0.1477 = -14.77%.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 07-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #33

Maybe I should become a day trader..I would have probably done better
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
They are different. To annualize -5% over six months for an entire year, you'd have to see what would happen if you lost at this rate all year:

Start with $1000 and you have $950 after six months. Now if you lost another 5% of the $950 in the next six months, you'd have $902.50. That's an annualized rate of -9.75%.

In this case, the annualized rate of return based on a six month value change, d, would be:

[ (1 + d)^2 ] - 1

With d being -7.68% (or -.0768 ) for my first half, my annualized return based on the first six months is:

(1 - .0768 )^2 - 1 = -0.1477 = -14.77%.
I'm curious how/where everyone calculates their return rates (total return, annualized returns). Do you have your ALL accounts on some website that tracks all money coming in/out and calculates your returns or do you do MANUALLY in Quicken/MSmoney or Excel and make your own formulas? :confused:
aida2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
I'm curious how/where everyone calculates their return rates (total return, annualized returns). Do you have your ALL accounts on some website that tracks all money coming in/out and calculates your returns or do you do MANUALLY in Quicken/MSmoney or Excel and make your own formulas? :confused:
It's easy to do -- trivial, really -- in accounts where no new money is coming in. But in my 401K and our Roths, it is trickier and I use crude approximations rather than bother with the complex functions to calculate XIRR properly. It's not like I have to file an annual report with the SEC or anything, so "close enough" is fine for me.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:13 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I let Quicken do the heavy work.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quicken has an ROI function that will calculate return on investment from one date to another. This function cancels out additions or withdrawals to the investment during that time period, thus reporting accurate performance over a given time period. It's easy to apply this calculation to your total net worth or any part of your investments.

Audrey
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:22 AM   #38

-11.8% as of 6/30
YTD now -10.5%
about 70/15/15 now stocks/bonds/cash after some recent sales
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitricAcid View Post
Are you including the money you are putting in at the same time as well?
think so, check my Principal Financial 401k once in a while and it tells me my rate of return. all new money goes into a MM account and not a stock fund. ditto for my wife.
al_bundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 10:56 AM   #40

-6% from 1/1/08, a bit more (bigger loss) from portfolio high.
60/40 AA