Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I made some purchases in early April, so a rough estimate for my 401k YTD is -7%.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #42

Quote:
To annualize ...
aren't the ytd returns sufficiently depressing?

Old 07-17-2008, 02:18 PM   #43

I'm somewhere around -12% YTD
Old 07-17-2008, 06:58 PM   #44
Dryer sheet aficionado

-6.32%
Old 07-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Ytd down ~ 8.5%...
-7.7%

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:41 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
I'm curious how/where everyone calculates their return rates (total return, annualized returns). Do you have your ALL accounts on some website that tracks all money coming in/out and calculates your returns or do you do MANUALLY in Quicken/MSmoney or Excel and make your own formulas? :confused:
I use MSMoney, run a report with date "Current Year" from 1/1/2008 thru 12/31/2008 (if you choose a different date, you will get the wrong answer). I include ALL investable assets except checking account. That means all 401(k)s, all 403(b)s, all IRAs, all taxable accounts, all my accounts, all my spouse's accounts, all our 529 plans, all money market funds. I include ALL transactions in these accounts.

As previously written, one has to use Excel XIRR or MSMoney or perhaps Quicken, though the report to run in Quicken is trickier to get the right date (my experience running my mom's Quicken on her investments).

We don't cherry pick the best accounts (my 403(b) is only TIAA-real-estate and TIAA traditional both UP for the year).

We are down -8.2% so far this year.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:44 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Retirement assets -3.8% YTD.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

+1.8%......but remember I was the early chicken
Old 07-17-2008, 07:51 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aida2003 View Post
I'm curious how/where everyone calculates their return rates (total return, annualized returns). Do you have your ALL accounts on some website that tracks all money coming in/out and calculates your returns or do you do MANUALLY in Quicken/MSmoney or Excel and make your own formulas? :confused:
I, too, use the same method (MSMoney) that LOL! uses. In addition, I use https://www.cakefinancial.com. Their formula is:

"... a money weighted return method - as opposed to a simple return, as you calculate below. Money weighted return takes into account all cashflows in and out of your portfolio and the timing of the cash flow as well. This means that it accounts for how much time the money has spent in your portfolio and then calculates a rate of return. In this case, the time spent by dividend reinvestment and the time spent by the initial cashflow (initial purchase) are different, so the return will be different from what is calculated from a simple return method.

To be exact, we use Internal Rate of Return (IRR) to calculate these numbers. IRR is the only exact method to calculate money weighted returns. You can find more information about IRR here ( http://blog.cakefinancial.com/cake_financial/analytics_and_metrics/index.html )."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Actually - now that I think about - I don't really know (down to the knat's eyebrow) -nor or do I really care.

I can check Target 2015 (85%) of portfolio which is close enough handgrenade wise - and can carry (with pension and SS) my retirement via yield alone.

Love full auto.

and my 15% individual stocks - gives me the opportunity to scream and yell, cuss and moan - or brag if things turn up.

Like sitting in the baloney with good popcorn - really bad bad guys(booo), great heros(yeah) and beautiful heroines() at the 'frugal' saturday matinee.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:03 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemick View Post
Like sitting in the baloney with good popcorn
Stop sitting in the baloney!

Then again, better that than the horse pucky I guess.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:34 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

MSMoney sez investments -4.77% {sure feels worse than that} at 6/30 but net worth shows $1,150,000 at year end and $1,157,000 now.

Sold business interest at year end and instead of throwing it in the market, bought a nice little second home {where we'll eventually retire} that appraised out at $30,000 more than I paid. That plus plowing money into investments come hell or high water.

Whoot!!!!
Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 PM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Annualized return 6/30 ytd -3.36%
Hedge funds, inflation sensitive assets saving the portfolio so far
Old 07-17-2008, 09:03 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
. Is YTD (1-1-08 thru 6-30-08) the same thing as annualized?
. Including contributions made during the reporting period kind of polutes YTD return.
I calculate my ytd including monthly contributions using the Excel IRR function, and it is -6.7%
Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

YTD 6/30 approx -6.0%. DCA'ing large amounts from 2007 into a 70/30 allocation. Accelerated the investments when the S&P crossed under 1275. Almost done.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:57 PM   #56
Full time employment: Posting here.

about -1%
Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 PM   #57
Full time employment: Posting here.

+2.4% but I admit I'll miss the ride if things take off from here, I'm not heavily invested
Old 07-17-2008, 10:43 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I calculate my ytd including monthly contributions using the Excel IRR function, and it is -6.7%
I was not fully aware of the Excel IRR function before seeing it mentioned in this thread.

Have been trying to get a ROI% between two specific dates out of Quicken and am unable to figure that one out. Quicken seems to annualize most return figures.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:33 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Have been trying to get a ROI% between two specific dates out of Quicken and am unable to figure that one out. Quicken seems to annualize most return figures.
Huh? That works for me. I've checked it by hand too. You can directly copy the ROI report into a spreadsheet and see exactly how it calculates it. ROI doesn't annualize anything. IRR annualizes.

Audrey
Old 07-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

-8% YTD
-12% from high watermark in Oct 2007

That is total of both before-tax (IRA+401k) and after-tax accounts.

My part-time income barely covers expenses, so the above numbers truly reflect investment performance.