Midyear Results 2008

Through 6-30, I am down 7% on the one brokerage account I haven't made any contributions to. Too lazy to back the others out.

I'm supprised some of you are doing so well, cause I'm at -12.5%.

Last edited:
My 401K is down around 13% for the last 12 months.

My sell activity on individual stocks in my regular account was for a 10% gain so far in 2008.

-Raymond

I'm supprised some of you are do so well, cause I'm at -12.5%.

I'm assuming the posters that show +89% and +47% are young and not diversified. I started investing in 95 and the IRR's in those first 4 years varied from 21 to 30%. In years when I am losing, I console myself by looking at my 3, 5 and 10 year averages. (I'm also now only 40% in stock funds so have lower expectations for both ups and downs)

I'm assuming the posters that show +89% and +47% are young and not diversified. I started investing in 95 and the IRR's in those first 4 years varied from 21 to 30%. In years when I am losing, I console myself by looking at my 3, 5 and 10 year averages. (I'm also now only 40% in stock funds so have lower expectations for both ups and downs)

I'm the +89%er. Not young at all. Not diversified at all either. If you follow your investments closely, as I do, you do not want to be diversified. I keep things simple by following only a very few ETFs and trade only when the set ups are right.

Follow along at Public Chart Lists - StockCharts.com

I'm the +89%er. Not young at all. Not diversified at all either. If you follow your investments closely, as I do, you do not want to be diversified. I keep things simple by following only a very few ETFs and trade only when the set ups are right.

Follow along at Public Chart Lists - StockCharts.com

Thanks, I followed your link before. How far away are you from retirement and how much of your basic needs are you expecting to fund from your ETF's? I'm afraid I lack the skills or inclination to successfully time the market myself. I know quite a few folks who cover all the basic needs with pensions, conservative funds etc and invest agressively with what's left, but they all have that safety net if everything goes pear shaped.

YTD -7.5% portfolio is ~65/35 stocks/bonds, no new $$ going in.

...sigh

through June 30th: -6% from October 2007 peak; -2% YTD; -5.3% June (ouch). Almost all of the loss from my 401k (mostly all very low cost index stock mutual funds + some stable value, inflation adjusted, and other bond funds). My non-401k portfolio (mostly single company equities with some closed end funds plus a decent chunk of cash) was essentially break-even.

ytd (through 7/17/08) : -6.5% from October 2007 peak; -2.5% YTD; Non 401k assets now slightly positive ytd, damage in 401k has gotten worse (it now is down about 7.5%).

I'm about 60% equity/40% fixed, with a overweight of the fixed in short term "price stable" (cash/CD) investments.

Last edited:
I am +5% for last 12 months. I pulled all my money out of stocks last fall and put it in stable value funds. Last week I put 10% back into T Rowe Price stock fund.

I am +5% for last 12 months. I pulled all my money out of stocks last fall and put it in stable value funds. Last week I put 10% back into T Rowe Price stock fund.

Good timing. It is hoped that you will be able to time the market on a consistent basis. Good luck.

Yes, I have nearly 50% on one stock. But it is not my choice. I owns around 10 stocks, evenly distributed. One of them becomes 6 bagger. I still holds most my original positions since it has the potential to increase another 500%.

I donot short stocks.

Your asset allocation must be as scary as mine (60% in one stock).

YTD through June +2%. Down 1% from Oct highs (can't complain). 1.8mm in liquid assets.

entered year with about 60% stocks, now about 15% and beginning to get bullish.

lucked out with 2 IPO's (V, IPI) and cashed out last month after pulling back slightly from highs.
rode up FXI from March lows (out last month)
cashed in some fantastic gains on canadian royalty trust AAV
sucked wind on 2 ETF's VB and VTV
got rid of several garbage stocks that I've been holding way too long
day traded some gains on Leh, RIMM

left with defensive plays (although it doesn't feel like it):
PM (anyone know why the recent sell off the last 2 days - on large vol)
KFT
MRK

I have 2 municipal bond funds that absolutely suck.

Back
Top Bottom