Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-18-2008, 11:05 PM   #101
Moderator Emeritus

Wow this thread is starting to look like a motley fool board! Who knew we had so many market timing stock picking geniuses who are better at it than the pros on wall street!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #102
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencewill View Post
Wow this thread is starting to look like a motley fool board! Who knew we had so many market timing stock picking geniuses who are better at it than the pros on wall street!
Naw. Most people didn't specify their asset allocation. For example, my numbers will be much worse after this week because oil stock was holding me up. Also, I DCAed to more conservative last year as my husband plans to retire next year and I saw the air in the market even if I didn't know where it was coming from.

(No genius in the oil stock - I've had it for years.)
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #103
Recycles dryer sheets

I am not a market timer/day trader. In fact, on the opposite. I always fully invested, and try to ignore the big market trend.

I am not young to market. I started my trading at late 2001.

2007 I did good, 30% up. This year until now is the best year for me.

As said I focus on low pe stocks. Another thing is since recession is comming/here, 2007 and this year, I only buy foreign stocks listed on US. My biggest winner is a company in Australia. And most my stocks are in mining equipment, drug, agri sectors, which I view is resession resistance.

Quote:
semtex is offline   Reply With Quote
Mid year performance
Old 07-19-2008, 06:52 AM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mid year performance

As of June 30th my overall investment portfolio is down 6% from 12/31/07 and 8.2% from my month end high of 10/31/07. All things considered I guess that is good, but it stinks to see the numbers going the wrong way. This is on a roughly 50/50 allocation of cash/bond vs. equities.
shotgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:38 AM   #105

-7.89% on retirement accounts according to Quicken ROI
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 07:53 AM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbeezer View Post
I have 2 municipal bond funds that absolutely suck.
What does that mean?
Old 07-19-2008, 08:24 AM   #107
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
Good timing. It is hoped that you will be able to time the market on a consistent basis. Good luck.
I am just going to be real conservative from now on. Too close to retirement. At this point I can not afford to take a hit like I did when the dot.com bubble burst.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 09:29 AM   #108
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Naw. Most people didn't specify their asset allocation. For example, my numbers will be much worse after this week because oil stock was holding me up. Also, I DCAed to more conservative last year as my husband plans to retire next year and I saw the air in the market even if I didn't know where it was coming from.

(No genius in the oil stock - I've had it for years.)
Seriously, I hope everyone here with the outsized returns has rebalanced a protects against outsized losses. Enjoy that dough and don't give it back.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #109

Quote:

I noticed I have done worse than just about everyone else..I don't even have any individual stocks AA 71/29

I might eat a slice of bacon to perk me up
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:28 AM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I noticed I have done worse than just about everyone else..I don't even have any individual stocks AA 71/29

I might eat a slice of bacon to perk me up
Karma? . There are things you could try to change it. Maybe going from Notmuchlonger to Alreadythere?
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #111
Recycles dryer sheets

Down 8.3% on my stock investments year to date. I just rebalanced my allocation and readjusted my contributions so the allocations should be right on by end of year. It always feels good to rebalance. There isn't much I can do about where stock prices go, but I CAN control what percent is in large cap, mid cap, international, reits, bonds, etc.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:07 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockOn View Post
Karma? . There are things you could try to change it. Maybe going from Notmuchlonger to Alreadythere?
I liked you better when you trolled the annuity posts

Want to be friends?
Old 07-19-2008, 12:13 PM   #113
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I liked you better when you trolled the annuity posts

Want to be friends?
Come on, my good men. Shake hands.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Come on, my good men. Shake hands.
I've posed as a woman before so be careful there.

I actually like Notmuchlonger, he justs gets a bit testy at times.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Meaning??

I can chat up with women, just as easily as with men. In fact, I like women, because they are nicer

My wife knows this board, and can read my posts anytime.
Old 07-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
my good men
That is all.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:42 PM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by semtex View Post
I started my trading at late 2001.

2007 I did good, 30% up. This year until now is the best year for me.

And most my stocks are in mining equipment, drug, agri sectors, which I view is resession resistance.
As we all know, investing is an ongoing process. Depending on what sector we are in, we may be in-sync or out-of-sync with the market. Since the bottom in late 2002, I have had many good years, in fact even better than the market, so have to give back some this year. This is OK.

In my active stock picks, I also have some fertilizers, agriculture, oil drillers. They have been doing well, but being diversified, I try not to have too much of them. Else, I could boast some nice returns, instead of negative. If I have guts to place heavier bets, I would do better. However, I told myself that it was better to make smaller plays, to build experience. Nearly 10 years later, I don't know if I am getting better, but I am sure I am getting tired.

What was that pssst again? I kept reminding myself to check it out, but posting mumbojumbo here takes all my time...

PS. The above sectors are showing sign of cracking... I am not mentioning those for anyone to buy. No single stock nor sector is invincible.
Old 07-19-2008, 11:03 PM   #118

2008 has been a horrendous year for us. Not only have we taken a hit on our investments, but because we get paid in US $'s and have a substantial amount of savings in the US that we are looking to move to Australian $s in the near future, we have been hammered on the exchange rate.

I don't bother tracking anything on an individual basis. I have a spreadsheet that shows our net worth broken down by category as the 31 December each year, and I update the 2008 figure every now and then. YTD we are down 7%, however that includes the adjustment for the exchange rate and also includes our additional investments. We have been protected somewhat as we have 45% of our investments in cash.

I'm not too bothered, we still have enough to FIRE now if we want too. I'm certainly not loosing too much sleep over it.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 05:49 AM   #119
Moderator Emeritus

401k's and ira's down 5.5%.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 09:05 AM   #120

Quote:

I actually like Notmuchlonger, he justs gets a bit testy at times.

Speaking of testy and anger issues.
So how does that infraction system work RockOn. Ive heard so much about it

Im glad we could be friends.