Join Early Retirement Today

Military Discounts
Old 07-30-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Military Discounts

The senior discount jogged my memory regarding military discounts. For folks with military ID's the Home Depot, Lowe's and Auto Zone in my area offer a 10% military discount. I'm sure there are many more businesses that do and would be interested in hearing about them.

Thanks,

2soon2tell
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #2

Home Depot is my favorite. I've saved many hundreds of dollars there over the years by showing my military ID.
Here's a good list of them:
Stores with Military Discounts
Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What about Vietnam vets? Most probably don't have a military ID but they're veterans. How do they get the discount?
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

KMart can be added to the list, but it depends upon location. Also, note several have added the restriction - Active Duty Military only...
Old 07-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
What about Vietnam vets? Most probably don't have a military ID but they're veterans. How do they get the discount?
This thread is for military discounts. There are quite a few retired military here (as well as active duty and reserve/guard people) who have current military IDs.

Many places offer a discount to all veterans, but I don't know of any consolidated list of them. The one that comes immediately to mind is Golden Corral restaurants, which give a free meal to veterans on Veterans Day. There are other similar deals, but most are local.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
I have received a veteran discount at Home Depot by showing a copy of my DD-214. If I recall correctly, it was on or about Veterans Day, so you would need to time your purchases properly.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:26 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's info directly from the Lowe's web site.
"Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services1 and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients.2 This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family3 of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.
To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:
Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.
Or:
Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).
We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.
The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.
1 Armed Services — US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, or the National Guard and who are in active, reserve, or retired status.
2 Retired Veterans and VA Recipients — Veterans who have retired after 20 years of service and/or those who receive VA Benefits
3 Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)"
Rowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

braumeister,

Thanks for the list of military discounts.
2soon2tell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 09:32 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One of my favorites: FREE TICKETS TO SEA WORLD, BUSCH GARDENS, and SESAME PLACE! Up to 4 tickets per military member per visit.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 01:25 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't forget GovX.com. All kinds of deelply discounted goodies there from camping gear to shoes.

You need either a .mil email address (for registration only) or upload a copy of your DD214.
ejw93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #11

Another route:
I was recently given access to GovX.com due to my membership in the Air Force Association (which anyone can join). I would guess other similar organizations do the same.
Old 07-31-2012, 02:45 PM   #12

A military discount is not necessarily the same thing as a Veteran's discount. Generally, military discounts are intended for active duty military members, not retirees. That said, some businesses, especially in areas near a military installation, do go ahead & include retirees. The main purpose though, of a military discount, is to give a small break to those actively serving. In case anybody wants to jump me about this, I speak as a prior active duty, retired military reservist who carries a retiree card on me at all times. I use it primarily to gain access to the base and use the services therein. Since I retired in 2010, I haven't felt like I was entitled to the military discount that I took advantage of when I was actually serving, even while I was a reservist. I felt ok with it then, but not so much now. I do, however, take advantage of discounts that are offered on Veteran's Day. In fact, I try to see how many free meals I can actually consume on VD! lol Otherwise, I just feel like I'm a pretender when I try to get stuff as if I'm still serving. That's not the intent, IMHO.

confession: I feel compelled to admit that I did shamelessly use my military ID, even after I retired (the card wasn't confiscated because the date hadn't expired yet) to receive a free state fishing license. I won't say which state....lol. Yes, I felt guilty about it later, even though I never used it, not even once.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 04:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
Since I retired in 2010, I haven't felt like I was entitled to the military discount that I took advantage of when I was actually serving, even while I was a reservist. I felt ok with it then, but not so much now.
I completely understand and appreciate your feeling, but I don't feel the same way (21 years active duty, and retired status for the last 23 years).

I think most businesses that offer a military discount expect it to be used according to whatever policy they set, and the Home Depot policy is a good example:

Quote:
All military personnel and veterans are eligible for a 10% discount at all The Home Depot store locations during many national holidays such as Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day and Veterans Day.

Additionally, the 10% discount is available to active and reserve military personnel, retired or disabled veterans and their spouses or dependent children every day, upon request. We do ask to see one of the following forms of identification to verify military status: Common Access Card (CAC), Veterans Identification Card (VIC – Must state “Service Connected” for the everyday discount) or Uniformed Services ID Card (Tan, Red or Blue).
There is a good reason why my retired pay is called retired pay (not "pension").
Old 08-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I completely understand and appreciate your feeling, but I don't feel the same way (21 years active duty, and retired status for the last 23 years).

I think most businesses that offer a military discount expect it to be used according to whatever policy they set, and the Home Depot policy is a good example:

There is a good reason why my retired pay is called retired pay (not "pension").
That's a good example of the business's policy being presented very clearly as to what their intention is. I'm ok with that. I don't think that's the norm, though. In cases like Home Depot & others who extend the courtesy to retirees...I'm happy to oblige!

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #15

At the Lowe's where I shop, I have seen the checkout people ask for and accept Legion or VFW ID cards as proof of vet status. If one is a member, probably easier than carrying a DD-214.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyb View Post
That's a good example of the business's policy being presented very clearly as to what their intention is. I'm ok with that. I don't think that's the norm, though. In cases like Home Depot & others who extend the courtesy to retirees...I'm happy to oblige!
Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
At the Lowe's where I shop, I have seen the checkout people ask for and accept Legion or VFW ID cards as proof of vet status. If one is a member, probably easier than carrying a DD-214.
These issues are one of the most hotly-debated topics on Kate "Kashman's" blog "The Paycheck Chronicles":
http://paycheck-chronicles.military....ry/veterans-2/
http://paycheck-chronicles.military....pot-revisited/

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote