Military Folks: Pension and Tax Deferred

While the "real" method for calculating the FERS Annuity Supplement is pretty complex, the following formula will get you pretty close. For purposes of this stipend, a "full career" is considered to be 40 years. So:

(Actual FERS time/40) X (SS annuity at age 62) = FERS Annuity Supplement

In my case, the result was within $10 of the official, OPM calculated, amount. Hope this helps with your planning.

While the "real" method for calculating the FERS Annuity Supplement is pretty complex, the following formula will get you pretty close. For purposes of this stipend, a "full career" is considered to be 40 years. So:

(Actual FERS time/40) X (SS annuity at age 62) = FERS Annuity Supplement

In my case, the result was within $10 of the official, OPM calculated, amount. Hope this helps with your planning.

Thanks! On second thought, staying until 62 will increase my pension by nearly $15,000 a year.

BTW, I'm in the recoupment situation as well.

DFAS is required to give you the numbers with 90 days notice before actually reducing your military retirement check. That allows a person with a hardship to request a smaller than 40% reduction.

In my case, I just got a revised RAS with the reduction...no proposed numbers, etc in advance...and called DFAS. I wanted to be sure our amounts agreed, not change the percentage. They realized I did not get the required 90 days notice and pushed back the beginning of recoupment by 3 months.

Just info from my experience in case you have something similar happen.

BTW, I'm in the recoupment situation as well.

DFAS is required to give you the numbers with 90 days notice before actually reducing your military retirement check. That allows a person with a hardship to request a smaller than 40% reduction.

In my case, I just got a revised RAS with the reduction...no proposed numbers, etc in advance...and called DFAS. I wanted to be sure our amounts agreed, not change the percentage. They realized I did not get the required 90 days notice and pushed back the beginning of recoupment by 3 months.

Just info from my experience in case you have something similar happen.

OK, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom