Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Military Retired Pay Change
Old 09-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Military Retired Pay Change

I caught this little tidbit from an email from MOAA recently. It's only a once-in-a-while change, but your pension payment will show up earlier in October. The good news...
Quote:
Normally, military retired pay is processed on the first day of the month, but when that fell on a weekend or holiday, the previous law delayed retired pay checks until the day after the weekend/holiday.
The recent law change now requires DFAS to process retiree pay on the preceding business day when the first day of the month falls on a weekend or national holiday.
This affects retired pay checks previously scheduled for Oct 3, 2011 and Jan 3, 2012, but which now will be issued on Sep 30, 2011 and Dec 30, 2011 respectively.
The bad news ...
Quote:
The bad news (for 2011, anyway) is that, for tax purposes, retirees will see 13 rather than the normal 12 payments for calendar year 2011

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #2

So it's evened out in the long run by just 11 payments in 2012, right?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know, but I've been getting paid on Saturdays, when the 1st falls on a Monday, since 2008. Only issue is it's makes the interval 4 weeks and 5 days until the next month, if you're dealing with a 31 day month. Don't know why they just don't pay every 4 weeks. It would make things easier for some of us. Just total the annual pension value and divide by 13.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:00 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
It would appear so, still the added imaginary income in 2011 could mess with some state tax situations I imagine.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 AM   #5

Anything new on getting a fix for the 13 paydays in 2011??
Old 11-01-2011, 05:20 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Anything new on getting a fix for the 13 paydays in 2011??
Nope, apparently the law was changed regarding paying on the 30th when the 1st falls on a weekend. I don't want to misquote the law, so go to the DFAS site and it's fully explained.

Why do you think it needs a fix? Is this creating a hardship of some kind? I don't understand.
Old 11-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

I read somewhere (Army Times?) that 2012 would include 12 paydays.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I read somewhere (Army Times?) that 2012 would include 12 paydays.
The 13 paydays in 2011 is an anomaly caused by switching to the new law mid year. All future years will be 12, as it has been in the past.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
Nope, apparently the law was changed regarding paying on the 30th when the 1st falls on a weekend. I don't want to misquote the law, so go to the DFAS site and it's fully explained.

Why do you think it needs a fix? Is this creating a hardship of some kind? I don't understand.
Yes, I understand the law. As, has been pointed out, this action may affect the tax liability of some.. I am one of the "some."
I wouldn't call it a hardship, but at the same time, I am one of the "some" who do not welcome the opportunity to pay more taxes.