Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
One of the advantages of a military career is getting the "opportunity" to sample a lot of different places. We were stationed in FL and didn't care for it a bit (TDH!). Colorado was very nice, but we think Dayton is the best place we've been as far as a spot to retire. My sis, who lives in CA, can't believe it and thinks the weather here must be like Siberia. Hey, there's something for everyone.

Back in the late 80's, I came real close to transferring to Dayton, as a federal employee. I had a job lined up at Wright-Patterson AFB. In the end, I decide to stay in Austin, TX instead. Just a few yrs later, my base in Austin was closed & I had to relocate to Louisiana.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:28 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Count me as a military retiree who would prefer that states exempt active duty military pay rather than that of retirees. (I understand that this doesn't accomplish the same objective for the states.) But it strikes me that something is wrong if a state taxes active duty pay but exempts retired pay. (I don't know that this is the case with Ohio or Illinois; just sayin'....)

Old 11-10-2010, 02:34 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Hawaii wasn't our first choice when we were sent here, but it quickly became our only choice.

I don't miss the 102-degree days in Charleston, SC or the sub-zero days in Pittsburgh. Ballston Spa, NY and New London, CT are forever memorable as frozen blasted wastelands. I don't ever want to experience Adak's 70-mph snowfalls again. I'll never miss the five-hour surface transits out of Scotland to the North Atlantic, or the hair-raising transit up the Cooper River, or the waterborne fogged-in multi-lane superhighway rush hour in the Straits of Juan de Fuca, or the incredible smells of Olongapo in Subic Bay.

Heck, spouse and I can't even handle temps in the 50s anymore.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #24

Quote:
One of the advantages of a military career is getting the "opportunity" to sample a lot of different places. We were stationed in FL and didn't care for it a bit (TDH!). Colorado was very nice, but we think Dayton is the best place we've been as far as a spot to retire. My sis, who lives in CA, can't believe it and thinks the weather here must be like Siberia. Hey, there's something for everyone.
Oh, samclem, you are one of my favorite posters and I didn't mean to insult you - I didn't mind Ohio so much. I looked like a fairly good place to raise children - Midwest values and all. I loved going to the Gorge area and going hiking and having breakfast at the mill out there - and Yellow Springs has a great restaurant called "The Winds." Also, WPAFB is a large base which has all of the amenities and more. However, I grew up in Arizona and wasn't too fond of the cold - last time I was in Ohio, they had a blizzard that closed down the base - I still walked from the VOQ to the HQ building in the blizzard as I didn't know that they had closed down the base and I was supporting a 3-star at the time. They don't sleep or quit working :-)

Now I live in Germany and it's as or even colder than Ohio - sigh - I do dream of warm weather at times. The best part out here is I get to snow ski a lot more easily. And the Weinachtmarkts with Gluhwein......and all of the other fests and volksmarches, but I digress from the original topic too much.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:46 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SamClem hit the nail on the head. Being in the military was a fantastic way to see the world and compare possible retirement places.

I was stationed long-term in New York (Syracuse and NYC), Ohio (Dayton), California (Los Angeles and Monterey), Florida (Panama City), Illinois (Belleville), Colorado (Colorado Springs and Denver), Washington DC and Alabama (Montgomery), Brazil, and Vietnam (in no particular order)
I was TDY for at least a couple of weeks in another half-dozen states, and four foreign countries.
I also was TDY for at least a couple of days in 6 or 7 other states and a couple of more countries.

I'm an inveterate traveler, so I also spent a lot of vacation time on the road. I've been to all 50 states and 14 other countries.

I had plenty of ideas about places to retire, but you know, sometimes you get surprised. In my case, I met someone who captured my heart, and had lived all her life in southwestern Ohio. I thought that was a decent area, and we've been here together for the last 21 years. Honestly, it's about as far south as I would ever want to live (gets pretty hot in the summer), but the cost of living is comparatively low, and we love our modest little house and its location.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
. . .I didn't mean to insult you - I didn't mind Ohio so much.
Well, I'm used to sticking up for the place. I'm kinda glad more people don't like it a lot. The folks who seem hardest on the Midwest are people who grew up here and haven't lived elsewhere--a lot more would like it if they'd lived through 9 month summers elsewhere or sat in traffic jams 6 lanes wide. At least you've traveled enough to have an informed opinion!
I hope you are enjoying Germany and the surrounding countries. I always have a good time there. I have yet to find a German "fast food" spot. Often I've w*rked a 14-hour day and don't want to invest an hour at a Gasthaus, I just want a quick schnitzel or something. The only quick food spots are American, and it just feels wrong to be in Germany and eat at Burger King.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #27

Quote:
Well, I'm used to sticking up for the place. I'm kinda glad more people don't like it a lot. The folks who seem hardest on the Midwest are people who grew up here and haven't lived elsewhere ...
I have an informed opinion. I was born in Ohio, went to elementary and secondary school there (in Lima), and went to graduate school there (in Columbus). I didn't like it. I left in 1971 and don't intend to go back.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I have an informed opinion. I was born in Ohio, went to elementary and secondary school there (in Lima), and went to graduate school there (in Columbus). I didn't like it. I left in 1971 and don't intend to go back.
Noted.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Been in Dayton Ohio area for ~32 years. Don't know where else to be. Shall reconsider after the cat dies.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:40 AM   #30

Chicago boy, born & thru college and some cold times in Great Lakes IL. Now live in Southern California. In Oct I went back for a visit to Chicago & out to Galena, wonderful autumnal days. But that is all the midwest 'hit' I needed, left before the below zero temps creep in.
I'll stick to my ridiculously priced little house in Pasadena. Go up the local mountains if I need to see snow. Ill be up at Tahoe for Thanksgiving.
As I see it, if you live in Chicago you can live anywhere. And if you can live anywhere, why live in Chicago?
Old 11-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #31
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
I can't speak for the new G. I. Bill, but the old Vietnam Era one was fairly generous monthly check wise.
Not really. It may have worked out for somebody in your cited situation, but not for anyone who had a family (as I did) at the time.

I wor*ed with a guy who was in the same time as me ('67-'71) and also was married, with a child (same as me). He was able to get his degree only by moving his family into his parent’s home and they helped a lot with the total expenses.

Tuition was covered, but only a minimal amount for expenses outside of those incurred for the discharged person.

Since we had no family to depend on when I was discharged and my wife could not work (due to our son's challenges), there was no way that I could afford to go to school, even if I wanted to.

Hey - I'm not complaining; it was just our situation at the time...
Old 11-11-2010, 04:58 PM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well, I'm used to sticking up for the place. I'm kinda glad more people don't like it a lot. The folks who seem hardest on the Midwest are people who grew up here and haven't lived elsewhere--a lot more would like it if they'd lived through 9 month summers elsewhere or sat in traffic jams 6 lanes wide. At least you've traveled enough to have an informed opinion!
In the 19th century one of my great-great-grandfathers left Germany in search of a job. Family legend has it that he walked all the way from NYC to Pittsburgh, couldn't find a job, and was so mad that he stomped all the way to Milford before he calmed down enough to take a job. My father was the fourth generation of the Milford Nords dynasty, and he fled as soon as he finished college (at U of Cincy, of course) for a great job in Pittsburgh.

Shows how smart my father was in regard to the geographic part of the decision. But at least he met my mother there, although I was effectively held hostage for over 17 years.

Today I'm grateful that you're living in Ohio so that the national housing authorities don't try to enforce some sort of quota by asking me to move back there.

We're starting a new Hale Nords dynasty here, where some of Hawaii's harshest critics are the kama'aina. Their polemics of political favoritism, corruption, and graft are particularly amusing. These perspectives can usually be "seasoned" with a few seasons anywhere north of 30N, or any political experience in one of the nation's top ten metropolitan areas.

Last week my born-and-raised-in-Hawaii daughter complained bitterly about NROTC's workouts in Houston's 48-degree weather. (In Houston!) I sure hope the Marine gunny sergeant didn't hear that high-pitched whining...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:19 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Today I'm grateful that you're living in Ohio so that the national housing authorities don't try to enforce some sort of quota by asking me to move back there.
I think Ohio is gonna want their own guy back, not some transplant from another state. I'll take your place for now, and for the right price I won't tell 'em where to find you.

"First they came for the surfers, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a surfer . . ."
Old 11-12-2010, 12:29 AM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
"First they came for the surfers, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a surfer . . ."
I'm going to have to start swallowing my mouthful of coffee before I read your posts...