Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2009, 05:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I knew a Senior Master Sargent in the AF. They were getting a divorce and she was going to get 1/2 his retirement pay. His idea was he was not going to re-enlist, not retire, just not re-enlist. He said he could always make money, and he would be dammed before he gave her half his pay. Not sure how it turned out.

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccer866 View Post
Anyone know how to do this year 1 PV?
Yup.

2Cor521

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 01:18 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23 View Post
I knew a Senior Master Sargent in the AF. They were getting a divorce and she was going to get 1/2 his retirement pay. His idea was he was not going to re-enlist, not retire, just not re-enlist. He said he could always make money, and he would be dammed before he gave her half his pay. Not sure how it turned out.
California's assessment of this spiteful maneuver has been to award the spouse the half of the pension to which the master sergeant would have been entitled, whether he was actually drawing it or not. In the court's view she was entitled to the money whether he bothered to appropriately file for it or not-- the funding was viewed to be his problem.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:18 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
California's assessment of this spiteful maneuver has been to award the spouse the half of the pension to which the master sergeant would have been entitled, whether he was actually drawing it or not. In the court's view she was entitled to the money whether he bothered to appropriately file for it or not-- the funding was viewed to be his problem.
Makes a lot of sense. I think people get hung up on "how much of the retired pay does he/she get" when usually the divorce "decree" will state a dollar amount he/she must fund for the other he/she. Also do not forget that between the divorce date and the retirement date there is a thing called alimony which can last until retirement eligibility (and beyond, if necessary). Divorce IS NOT a good financial occurrence (nominate this for the understatement of the year).
Old 04-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OAG View Post
Divorce IS NOT a good financial occurrence (nominate this for the understatement of the year).
And what is a necessary condition to divorce?

You got it-marriage! Or any of the faux marriages that the "family law" bar have brought into being.

As the Catholic Church taught me, to avoid sin, avoid the occasion of sin. Which for you non-papists means any time and any place where the physical or human neccesities to get a good sin going are present.

I think I have finally found an application for that principle that I can live with.
Old 04-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Also assume that Bob and Linda are Caucasian.

Why would we need to make such an assumption - how could it possibly be relevant to anything??

Then again - you also asked people to assume that the 5.8% COLA for FY08 (which was unusually high) is going to strike repeatedly, even though the retiree COLA has been in negative territory since last fall. Why would you want us to make such an unlikely assumption, albeit not as bizaare as the racial one?

There is something very odd about this whole question. Speaking as the Caucasian federally-employed wife of a Caucasian federal retiree, who's spent part of her career at the Pentagon, and all of it working with military personnel...