Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I didn't feel like celebrating because the realization that it doesn't mean much and can't change my life quickly set in. While it's not easy to achieve this milestone, it becomes very obvious that it's not a lot of money, at least nowadays.
Letj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

No Celebration..Just started dreaming for next. Currently have almost 2.8M and dreaming for 3M. I'll celebrate with wife when I reach 3.5M, my FI number.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishin 2B Fishin View Post
Seems like reaching a million should make me feel closer to ER........but alas I realize that since the vast majority (850K) is in 401K and Roth IRA accounts we need way, way, way more in taxable accounts to bridge the gap between age 50 and 59.5 when we can get to our qualified accounts.
That's something I hadn't taken into account in the past, but have been thinking more and more about lately. My split is something like 55% non-retirement/taxable, and 45% retirement/tax-deferred. So, maybe my balance isn't too bad. And, part of what I classify as "retirement" is actually a Roth IRA, and I think with that, you can at least take out what you put in, before 59.5?

FWIW, there is something called a Rule of 72(t) or something like that, that will let you access an IRA before 59.5, without penalty. I don't know much about it though.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't recall specifically. I didn't have Mint.com to add it up and give me a daily running total of my net worth.

The biggest milestone for me was when I had a well paid day job and my business was starting to take off... There was the first month my business made more than my work.. That was fun. I quit 2 weeks later. Exciting times.
jetpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:44 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire2020 View Post
No Celebration..Just started dreaming for next. Currently have almost 2.8M and dreaming for 3M. I'll celebrate with wife when I reach 3.5M, my FI number.
I'm already starting to set my sights on $2M. One thing that's going to make $1M seem pretty insignificant, is when i update the graphs in my Excel spreadsheets to show $2M on the scale, and my ~$1M plot only coming about halfway up.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:11 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
For the millionaires, did you do anything special to celebrate when you realized you were a millionaire?
A million really isn't worth celebrating these days, with the value of a dollar being as low as it is. Maybe one could afford to foot the bill for lunch with a close friend at a cheap restaurant. Back in the 1960's, a million dollars was worth something. Inflation calculators tell us that a million dollars in 1966 was equivalent to 7.34 million dollars today.

Now, if I ever suddenly realized I was a BILLIONAIRE, well, that would be well worth celebrating. I'd invite all of you to lunch at a better restaurant like Commander's Palace. However, that isn't gonna happen.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:16 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Now, if I ever suddenly realized I was a BILLIONAIRE, well, that would be well worth celebrating. I'd invite all of you to lunch at a better restaurant like Commander's Palace. However, that isn't gonna happen.
I would do the same if I became a mere hectomillionaire.

A billionaire should be able to host his/her friends on a personal yacht cruise to the Mediterranean.

But it ain't gonna happen either, hence this cheapskate can make the promise above.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:19 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Would a billionaire even be posting on this site? (maybe his butler or maid would be!)
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #29
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I would do the same if I became a mere hectomillionaire.

A billionaire should be able to host his/her friends on a personal yacht cruise to the Mediterranean.

But it ain't gonna happen either, hence this cheapskate can make the promise above.
The Perfect Salary for Happiness: $75,000 - The Wealth Report - WSJ

You reach income happiness at about 80k. 3.5 million dollars in stocks will generate this in dividends. Anything over that is nice to have but will probably not give you some increased satisfaction / happiness in life.
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #30

When I was let go from Mega Corp in 2002, I pulled my head out of you know where and added up what I had in assets to see how desperate our situation was. It was over $1 MM then. There was no celebration only relief that we would be much better off than the last time I was run off from a company and had less than 3 months of living expenses in savings.

It wasn't long after that that I discovered this forum and realized I was FI and could have retired although it would have been tight at our current lifestyle. I found another feed bag and have grown assets nicely since then.

I had no celebrations for any of these events. I just kept on keeping on. I'm now a congenital OMY-er. Hopefully, this is the last one.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:28 AM   #31
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eta2020 View Post
Anything over that is nice to have but will probably not give you some increased satisfaction / happiness in life.
Doesn't hurt to try
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Would a billionaire even be posting on this site? (maybe his butler or maid would be!)
I would!

Just to taunt y'all about that hot stock that jumped up several-hundred-fold that I went all in, and you did not.

But as I do not have more than 3% in any single stock, the chance that will happen is nil.

Quote:
I reached that income level many years ago, so know very well what they mean.

But the joy that comes from counting all that money should not be underestimated.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

It was some time back but I knew when I was getting close and went out and bought a nice bottle of champagne. After market close on 'the day' I opened up the bottle and surprised my wife with the announcement that we had just made the millionaire club.

An enjoyable evening.

I agree with the comments that a million dollars isn't what is used to be. I see a lot of people on this board in the range of $1.5MM to $2.5MM Net Worth, plans to retire early and it looks (at least to me) dicey at best.
wingfooted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:39 AM   #34
gone traveling

Quote:
I would!

Just to taunt y'all about that hot stock that jumped up several-hundred-fold that I went all in, and you did not.

I reached that income level many years ago, so know very well what they mean.

But the joy that comes from counting all that money should not be underestimated.

I am talking about that income from Dividends only with growth beating inflation. Like having that in KO which increases dividend by 7-10 % every year.

So for couple I would round it up to 4.5 million which will generate 100k in dividends without need to sell any stocks.

That I think would be something to celebrate
eta2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
...............For those not yet there, do you have any plans for how you will celebrate?
To celebrate, I sent a nice check to all my good friends on this forum. I'll PM you my address.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So for couple I would round it up to 4.5 million which will generate 100k in dividends without need to sell any stocks.

That I think would be something to celebrate
Well, then I am not there yet. But I doubt that I will celebrate when I get there. When I sat down and figured out SS the other day, I will get way past $100K with SS included.

Old 06-17-2014, 11:10 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

All paper wealth so it's kind of hard to grasp it.

Even if it was all in cash, you wouldn't dream of spending a significant chunk or "splurging" in ways inconsistent with what allowed you to reach the milestone.

I just have to figure out why I'm still going to work. My folks, who both stopped working at a younger age than I am now (though not by choice in the case of my father), insist I have to keep busy.
explanade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:19 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I first crossed that mark many years ago. Did not do anything special, which was just as well, as I crossed it soon again going down, and then of course back up.
Yep crossed it both directions at least three times in the last 20 yrs of ER. Hopefully the last time will be 'cause you can't take it with you' and of course some collateral damage from my ol' buddies ol' pals at the IRS via RMD.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Nope.

However, when one realizes that one will always be at least a millionaire no matter what the stock market does, a certain degree of smugness sets in.

And then later, when one realizes that one will always be a multimillionaire no matter what the stock market does, an even larger degree of smugness sets in.
Quote:
I still like to count money, because money may not help but it should not hurt unless one is really dumb and does not know how to manage it. But I think I will have a big celebration for my 60th birthday, even though I have often let a birthday pass without even realizing it. The reason is that more than a year ago, I thought I might not make it.

Money is good, money is cool, but life is more important. And one should celebrate life first.
I forgot to add that inflation also helps us keeping the millionaire status as the years go by. A million pesos, anyone? Happy counting!

Old 06-17-2014, 11:44 AM   #40

My uncle used to say his ex-wife made him a millionaire, he used to have two, now he only had one.

I crossed my first million in 2011, when I was buying a property. I had to fill out a NW statement, and I realized it was over 1M. That included property equity, including my home.

Now, I am closing in on 1M in investable assets, with next month's rent collections probably making the big turn there. A month earlier than projected. I still have ~1.5M in RE equity, including my home.

I am FIRE'd in 2016, probably 7/1/2016.
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote