Join Early Retirement Today

"Millionaire Next Door" Author Thomas Stanley Killed
Old 03-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

"Millionaire Next Door" Author Thomas Stanley Killed

I didn't see that this was posted as of yet, but Mr. Stanley was killed Saturday in an auto accident. His book series was one of the motivators for me to retire early...VERY early. To add insult to injury, he lived less than 15 minutes from me. I had no idea he was a "Georgia Boy".

My thoughts go out to his family.

East Cobb "Millionaire" Author Dies in Crash - East Cobber

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

That is very sad news. He was a good man and a great author. Thanks for letting us know.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That is very sad news. I was a big fan of his books and blog.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:19 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

At least he lived a long life... but sad to hear he is gone.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
At least he lived a long life... but sad to hear he is gone.
He did indeed live a good, long life, and for much of it he's been FIREd. Nonetheless, I hope to be around for many years past 71.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #6

Very sad. 71 is not old at all. No good way to die, but to die in such a senseless manner seems all the more tragic. I loved his book.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:34 PM   #7

Very sad, especially that it appears he was killed by someone in too big a hurry to follow traffic laws - or good sense.

He leaves a wonderful legacy in his books, and judging by the article, his family.

Thanks for posting - I haven't seen this anywhere else.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Very sad, especially that it appears he was killed by someone in too big a hurry to follow traffic laws - or good sense.

He leaves a wonderful legacy in his books, and judging by the article, his family.

Thanks for posting - I haven't seen this anywhere else.
The road he died on has a history of people being killed because of stupid drivers. That entire area is made up of million dollar homes and VERY large egos (as a matter of fact, this area is called East Cobb and many folks call it "East Snobb"). The speed limit is 35 with NO passing zones (due to multiple curves and VERY short sight distances), but I often have people pass me in 100K+ cars while I average 10-15 MPH *over* the speed limit. The guy who hit him was about 2 miles from his home and Mr. Stanley was also about 2.5 miles from home.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:43 PM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
The road he died on has a history of people being killed because of stupid drivers. That entire area is made up of million dollar homes and VERY large egos (as a matter of fact, this area is called East Cobb and many folks call it "East Snobb"). The speed limit is 35 with NO passing zones (due to multiple curves and VERY short sight distances), but I often have people pass me in 100K+ cars while I average 10-15 MPH *over* the speed limit. The guy who hit him was about 2 miles from his home and Mr. Stanley was also about 2.5 miles from home.
That is crazy stuff.
Proverbs 15:22 Designs are brought to nothing where there is no counsel: but where there are many counsellors, they are established.
rec7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:26 PM   #10

Oh, no.

"The Millionaire Next Door" is a favorite of mine, he had an impact on his readers. Very sad news.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBoy5 View Post
The road he died on has a history of people being killed because of stupid drivers. That entire area is made up of million dollar homes...
there is a tragic irony here
Old 03-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #12

I wonder if the fact that he was in a sports car (Corvette) vs. the other driver in an SUV had anything to do with it.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupcxan View Post
I wonder if the fact that he was in a sports car (Corvette) vs. the other driver in an SUV had anything to do with it.
I really don't think so...sounds like the SUV driver was not paying attention or following too close and when the corvette slowed to turn left the SUV could not stop in time and went around the corvette...on the (left) wrong side.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I really don't think so...sounds like the SUV driver was not paying attention or following too close and when the corvette slowed to turn left the SUV could not stop in time and went around the corvette...on the (left) wrong side.
It sounds like the types of vehicles likely had a lot to do with the outcome. Heavy SUV plows into a light Corvette hitting the driver's side--not much "crumple zone" there, and the physics of the situation indicate the Corvette would be subject to much higher accelerations. And the body is fiberglass, which is very strong in some directions, but can be weak in others and does not have a "graceful" failure mode . . .

If Mr Stanley had been in a heavier vehicle (less acceleration for him) and if he'd had more structure between himself and the front end of the other car, perhaps things would have turned out better for him.

Very sorry for him, and I hope justice is done if reckless driving is found to be the cause of this death.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I was surprised to read about the Corvette, based on the writings in his blog:

Car Buying from The Millionaire Next Door

"My wife drives a Z71 Chevrolet Tahoe that sits next to my Toyota 4 Runner..... The Tahoe is very reliable, big, heavy and protective."
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:50 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

How sad. One of the few books that I've bought, keep on my book shelf and go back and reread on occasion.
May he RIP.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-02-2015, 09:56 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Sad to hear, I heard Dave Ramsey comment today on heart radio that everyone should buy the book to show his family how much we appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
I was surprised to read about the Corvette, based on the writings in his blog:

Car Buying from The Millionaire Next Door

"My wife drives a Z71 Chevrolet Tahoe that sits next to my Toyota 4 Runner..... The Tahoe is very reliable, big, heavy and protective."
That surprised me as well. When I realized exactly where he lived I was taken a little by surprise because of the high dollar homes there. But...if I had a net worth that Stanley had, I'd be over there too. In my opinion, it's the BEST area in all of Atlanta...and I'd guess that's why he lived there.

Sent from my mobile device so please excuse grammatical errors.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:50 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog View Post
How sad. One of the few books that I've bought, keep on my book shelf and go back and reread on occasion.
May he RIP.
I think I have all his books and reread them as well. He had one section in The Millionaire Mind about the advantages of going into a niche field with low competition that I reread often.
Old 03-03-2015, 03:17 AM   #20
gone traveling

Inspired me to shoot for early retirement

Coined many useful phrases like "big hat no cattle". and accumulators of wealth and perpetual under accumulators of wealth

Too bad indeed