Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Millions of Americans get by on Social Security alone
Old 08-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Caroline, Its as your said. I have been to Africa and most Americans would not beleve what I saw. We are rich beyond imaginaton to most people in the world. How many times in America have your seen people stepping over a dead body in the street? I have seen it in Africa. Crippled children begging, pressed up against my car window. Young girls holding a baby begging for food. You step over them on the way to the restrauant. They are waiting when you come out. Hand them some money? Just pissing in the Ocean. I still am shaken by it. Millions of people living like this. Much need to be done. It will not be easy. Where do you start. Lagos Nigeria is a city of aprox. 10 Million, no traffic lights, no reliable power. When you leave the Airport you see campfires all along the road, no electric lights, the copper has already been sold.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2005, 06:56 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
If you don't trust that organization's agenda, retire@40, then trust my firsthand account.* We Americans are rich indeed, and in ways we can't even imagine or appreciate.
I believe you more because you didn't put a donation box next to your post.
Old 08-18-2005, 08:25 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Where do you start.
With decent government. The sensible people cannot build a decent country if the bad guys can take their property away from them any time they want to. A country either controls the bad guys, or it turns into a horrible mess. Same situation to a lesser degree in many of our urban neighborhoods. The bad guys are not under control, so the sensible people flee to the suburbs. The inner city turns into a crime infested slum.

Stop the bad guys from harming the sensible people, and the sensible people will build a decent place to live. That is the only way to fix a broken place.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:41 AM   #24

For a perspective on Africa, suggest Paul Theroux: "Dark Star Safari"

http://www.paultheroux.com/nonfictio...tar.safari.htm

He found it worse than 40 years ago when he went as a young man.
quote:

This is travel as discovery and also, in part, a sentimental journey. Almost forty years ago, Theroux first went to Africa as a teacher in the Malawi bush. Now he stops at his old school, sees former students, revisits his African friends. He finds astonishing, devastating changes wherever he goes. "Africa is materially more decrepit than it was when I first knew it," he writes, "hungrier, poorer, less educated, more pessimistic, more corrupt, and you can"t tell the politicians from the witch doctors. Not that Africa is one place. It is an assortment of motley republics and seedy chiefdoms. I got sick, I got stranded, but I was never bored. In fact, my trip was a delight and a revelation." Unquote

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 12:42 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

You don't have to go as far away as Africa to see people starving and living in squalor. Go to Hati, Dominical Republic ( you have to leave the resort areas first), and many many other places in South or Central America, and most of the Arab world. People live without any running water in "houses" made of whatever they can find for a roof. Where livestock (if they can "find" any,) live under the same roof. There is no hygiene and food is contaminated and infested. Jobs, if they can find them are menial and backbreaking. Families tend to be large because of religious beliefs and lack of money for birth control. Education is non-existant beyond what can be learned through other family members or other tribe members.

There are many people in America who do not have adequate resources to provide for their daily life but with a few exceptions (yes I have lived in the deep south and inner cities and I have seen shacks and shanty towns) most are living a lifestyle far above the rest of the world's poor. I have no solutions and I have no mission to save the world. The world is what it is, I can only change my very small part of it.

There are times when I believe that doing nothing would be the best solution as evolution would take care of the situation in a generation or two but my moral side has a hard time not wanting to assist them knowing full well that in most cases the help would only provide a means to create even more children who will continue to cycle.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:05 PM   #26
Dryer sheet aficionado

"I want to live in America, where the poor people are fat" - some 3rd world dude I've forgotten the name of.
ganda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 01:21 PM   #27

Superb book!* He starts in Cairo and somehow wills his way down to Johanesburg.* Some of his experiences are terrifying.* His take on the international charity relief workers efforts is eye-opening.* Theroux is the best travel writer out there today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
For a perspective on Africa, suggest Paul Theroux:* "Dark Star Safari"
Old 08-19-2005, 01:30 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Theroux is great writer. I recommend his book that chronicles his earlier African stay-"My Secret Life." He describes how he slept with practically every young female for miles around.

His timing was good --the only diseases he caught were crabs and clap.

Ha

Tags
social security