Join Early Retirement Today

min wirhdrawals IRA and 401k
Old 12-19-2014, 09:34 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

min wirhdrawals IRA and 401k

Can I add the sum of IRA and 401k together for the IRS minimum withdrawal requirements or do I have to withdraw sums from each ?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbee25 View Post
Can I add the sum of IRA and 401k together for the IRS minimum withdrawal requirements or do I have to withdraw sums from each ?
Though at the moment I can't find a specific regulation to cover it, I'm reasonably certain you need to take each RMD separately from IRA and 401k.

Old 12-19-2014, 11:35 AM   #3

1.401(a)(9)-5
Old 12-19-2014, 11:36 AM   #4

You must take the RMD separately from each 401K. That makes the 401K RMDs separate from the TIRAs. You can aggregate TIRAs for the purpose of RMDs if they are of the same "type".....that is e.g. yours.......so you can take the RMD from 1 TIRA or some or all . You can not aggregate TIRAs of different types....e.g. inherited/beneficiary TIRAs with your own.

http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/...ution-Plans%29
Old 12-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #5

Inherited IRA RMDs start when you inherit them, no matter what your age, BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 12-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #6

When I retired, my company required my 401K's to be taken out of their programs because they'd been paying the expenses. My 401K's were rolled into a Rollover IRA account with my other personally funded IRA funds.

When my minimum withdrawals are required, it'll be all consolidated.