Join Early Retirement Today

Minimizing CD Early Withdrawal Penalties
Old 09-24-2018, 10:40 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Minimizing CD Early Withdrawal Penalties

If you were investing 150K in a 12-month CD would it be smarter to create three 50K CD's instead of one large 150K CD? Would this reduce the early withdrawal penalty if you had to tap some of the money early?

mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2018, 05:55 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It depends on the policy of the institution offering the CD. Some permit partial early withdrawal and the penalty would only apply to the amount withdrawn. Others (e.g. Ally, I think) do not permit partial withdrawals so splitting the total into smaller CDs could reduce the early withdrawal penalty if you had to tap some of the money early.

Old 09-25-2018, 06:06 AM   #3

I always break up CDs into chunks in case I need to break any early.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Yes, if you think there is a chance that you might need some of the money then split it up into smaller chunks.
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:55 AM   #5

Or just buy t-bills.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, few institutions that I use allow partial early withdrawal, so I tend to buy in smaller chunks just in case.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:50 AM   #7

Does the institution you are buying from permit partial withdrawals? If they do, breaking it into smaller chunks won’t help, but it won’t hurt either.
Old 09-25-2018, 11:03 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks everyone. I'll probably go with 12-month Discover CD's at 2.5% interest since we already have our savings and CD accounts there. I don't think they allow partial withdrawals.

This will be for my mom's savings. She's in assisted living and she'll probably burn through her money in 8 years at the current rate so she can't tolerate any risk to her savings. We already had to tap into her current CD with a hefty penalty before we sold her house. Her current CD will mature in two days, so I'm looking to minimize the penalties with future CD's in case we need to tap into the money again. With proper planning we shouldn't need to, but emergencies happen, especially in her situation. I'll still keep a sizeable chunk in regular savings so she can get to it if she needs to.
Old 09-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #9

Looks like secondary market T-bills for 1 year out are yielding about 2.6% and they automatically come in $10K chunks. Much more liquid than CDs, so very little penalty for selling prior to maturity.

I think you can buy them on the auction at both Schwab and Fido for no fee.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
I always break up CDs into chunks in case I need to break any early.
+1
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 04:34 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

My mom is in an independent living apartment. She needs to add about $1200/month to her income for rent and expenses. I had her purchase eight $10K CD's to use when her regular savings starts running low.
calico1597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Don't you love when something completely new to you seems so common sense to everyone else?