Join Early Retirement Today

Minimum Donation
Old 07-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Minimum Donation

It seems like these days it is difficult to reach the door to any store w/o getting past the team soliciting donations for everything.

So today, I didn't make it past the crew in front of the library and when I went to give a donation I was told, "Oh no, we have a minimum of $5.00." Since I didn't see anyone holding any money I think they were maybe wanting credit cards. I just chuckled and said, "oh well then you aren't interested in my money." Then they tried to get me on the way out too.

Of course that is preferable to the women who show up at my door needing money to bury their mother, but....
ohfrugalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfrugalone View Post
It seems like these days it is difficult to reach the door to any store w/o getting past the team soliciting donations for everything.

So today, I didn't make it past the crew in front of the library and when I went to give a donation I was told, "Oh no, we have a minimum of $5.00." Since I didn't see anyone holding any money I think they were maybe wanting credit cards. I just chuckled and said, "oh well then you aren't interested in my money." Then they tried to get me on the way out too.

Of course that is preferable to the women who show up at my door needing money to bury their mother, but....
Thank the Lord for Amazon.

Ha
Old 07-13-2013, 07:18 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am also sick of all the requests for donations. Now it's the grocery and drug stores asking for a donation to be added to your store bill. We in this Florida area are slowly getting rid of the panhandlers on the street corners. I do give to the firefighters when they are doing their thing for the Jerry Lewis Telethon. That's it. Nobody else and that includes the Salvation Army at Christmas. I guess I don't trust that the money goes where it belongs.

In the recent past many charities in Florida have been exposed as being fronts to line the pockets of the people running the charities. Big car allowances, salaries and even health insurance. The people in need end up getting 10 cents on the dollar.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:47 PM   #4

I donate quite a bit to charity, so when "bleeding hearts and helping hands will always cry out for more," I let them know that I already give a lot of money to other causes.
HawkeyeNFO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohfrugalone View Post

Where do you live where that is prevalent ? Where I live there are laws prohibiting soliciting donations in public without a permit and the stores here know that if they allowed it to happen outside their doors business would drop off like a rock.
Old 07-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

What bugs me about charities is that after I give, I get flooded with frequent mailings looking for more $. Sometimes I wonder if they spend almost all the money I initially gave them on solicitations trying to get me to give more (I don't) rather than on the work I wanted them to use my donation for in the first place.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
What bugs me about charities is that after I give, I get flooded with frequent mailings looking for more $. Sometimes I wonder if they spend almost all the money I initially gave them on solicitations trying to get me to give more (I don't) rather than on the work I wanted them to use my donation for in the first place.
It appears that the same thing happens if you give to political parties. My late father made a donation in 2000 and died in 2002. I still get calls for him from the party asking for a donation. I tell them he is deceased, but it appears their computers cant handle it. It appears that making a political contribution is like checking into a roach motel, you can check in but you can't check out.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:05 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Yes, been there, done that. Just stopped giving to them clowns. Still get their mail and surveys tho to add to the recycle pile.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Every year I mail in a donation to the Arthritis Foundation. And, I have already done so for this year. However, just this week, I received four (4) requests from them asking for additional donations: two from the national headquarters, one from the Southern Calif. headquarters and one from the Los Angeles District headquarters. It's annoying because mailing me solicitations is not what I have in mind when I send them money. Yet, I do this every year--and so do they.
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #10

All my donations are made either online by credit card or via a check in the snail mail.

When I encounter the tables at a store lobby or sidewalk I cheerfully greet them and walk on by.

When one of them tries to collar me, I have a standard response: "Tell you what. If I make a donation to your charity, will you make an equal donation to my favorite charity?"

Sometimes that stops them in their tracks. Sometimes they will agree, so I say "Then let's just eliminate the middleman; you give to yours and I'll give to mine." I've never heard a comeback, so this seems to work.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
All my donations are made either online by credit card or via a check in the snail mail.

When I encounter the tables at a store lobby or sidewalk I cheerfully greet them and walk on by.

When one of them tries to collar me, I have a standard response: "Tell you what. If I make a donation to your charity, will you make an equal donation to my favorite charity?"

Sometimes that stops them in their tracks. Sometimes they will agree, so I say "Then let's just eliminate the middleman; you give to yours and I'll give to mine." I've never heard a comeback, so this seems to work.
That's a great response. I'll have to remember that one.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #12

I think charities are hurting because of the economy, and so they may be increasing their efforts.

I agree all the solicitations are annoying. The ones that come by mail are easy to discard. The in-person solicitations are tougher, because I get a twinge of guilt if I say "No" or "Not today, sorry." Sometimes it feels good to give, though -- when I'm doing it out of a spirit of generosity or compassion, not guilt or obligation. Then I don't mind at all.

It would bother me to get solicited both on the way in and out, and then to be told there was a minimum donation. I'd just scowl and walk away. Minimum donation? You've got to be kidding.
ER Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
+1

I stopped giving to an organization that seemed to be using my contribution to ask for more contributions. I called and requested no more than a once a year reminder. They could not or would not do that.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Since I cannot sort out the people who just keep the money from real charities I just avoid donations in public places all together. I select the well known and well run charities and give to them.

Avoiding eye contact works.
Lsbcal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
It appears that the same thing happens if you give to political parties. My late father made a donation in 2000 and died in 2002. I still get calls for him from the party asking for a donation. I tell them he is deceased, but it appears their computers cant handle it. It appears that making a political contribution is like checking into a roach motel, you can check in but you can't check out.
Is this in Chicago? Maybe he is still voting.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

To all solicitations for money I always say no. If they get real pushy, I'll say, Oh OK, as soon as you send me a recent audited financial statement.

The blank stares are priceless.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:30 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meierlde View Post
Same here. I give $50 to my local member of Congress whom I like and have known since she first ran back in the 1990s. But because of that, I get all kinds of solicitations from individuals and groups asking me to donate. And that is in additional to solicitations from my Congresswoman asking me to make a "Special" donation in between the normal donation cycle. The solicititaion which most amazed me was back in 2002 when I received one from a sitting congresswoman who was facing a primary due to redistricting and reapportionment in another state! That was in addition to solicitations from senators from other states facing tough re-election battles in their general elections.

Here on Long Island (New York), we have had a few news stories about scam artists raising money for causes then pocketing the money. Hurricane Sandy brought a lot of them out, similar to the post-9/11 scammers we had a decade ago. The Do-Not-Call list doesn't seem to be helpful to stopping those over the phone, but that is a subject for another thread......

I do reply to those political surveys and mail it back to them in their postage-paid envelopes, sometimes not with the answers they want to see, but that's fine with me. I wonder if the absence of a check with those surveys means they ignore my responses, not that I care a whole lot.

I have no problem saying "No" or ignoring in-person requests for money at stores. I remember back in the 1980s they used to show solicitations on movie screens before the actual movie, then the ushers would stroll up and down the aisles collecting donations, as if the movie admission and overrpriced popcorn were not enough money for them they have to hit us up for this, too?

Braumeister, that is an excellent reply to the in-person solicitors LOL!
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:43 AM   #18

Quote:
One advantage of using a DFA is that you can donate anonymously. That keeps you off a lot of mailing lists.
jebmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We have changed our pattern of donations. For a start, we do not donate anything to people who call at the door or solicit in public areas.

A money magazine in our area publishes an annual list of charitable organizations-what their admin costs are, the cost of raising each dollar of revenue, and the top salary levels in their organizations, etc. This report has been extremely enlightening for us.

Some of the very reputable door to door folks, such as the local Cancer or Alzheimers societies, etc. had absolutely awful stats-as much as .45 to raise one dollar and this further eroded by excessive admin expense. We dropped these until such time as they improve-if ever.

So we consolidated. Most of our donations, including what we would give to faith based organizations, are now going to one or two organizations that we want to support and who have an extremely high percentage of money raised actually going to where we want it to go. These organizations use the web extensively, don't do multiple expensive mailings, don't use call centres (that charge a healthy percentage of each dollar raised for their services, and don't do door to door canvasing. They are also exceeding 'open' in their annual financial reporting.

It is the same reason that we never donate food to the food bank. They can get far more bang for the buck from our cash donation than they can from a food donation that they have to collect, etc. Besides, they are buying food wholesale for 70 cents on the dollar or less, we are not. That translates into a significant premium that can be used to help those who need it.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #20

+1

I'm especially irritated by getting solicited at the checkout counter. I've got a standard "not today", but I'd much prefer they give me some space.

My wife watches the phone/mail solicitations for Cancer Society etc. She gives to a few, but is careful to make it just once per year.

Our big donations are by check to organizations that we feel are particularly careful about staff and overhead costs. Again, just one check per year.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote