Minimum Required Distribution to roth ?

bobbee25

Recycles dryer sheets
Next year I will turn 70 in March, so Minimum Required Distribution will be required. 2 Questions:

1. Can I withdraw anytime during the calendar year
(Turn 70 in March, have CDs due before, in January

2. If I don't need the entire MRD amount, can I convert it to a Roth after
paying the tax ?

paying the tax ?

Can you put required minimum distributions into a Roth? - MarketWatch

Q. My wife and I file a joint tax return, we are both over 70 years of age, and have had our IRA for over 20 years. Question: If we take up to $12,000.00 of Required Minimum Withdrawals from our IRA, can we move it after having taxes taken out into a Roth IRA? And, Can we then take money out of the Roth IRA as needed without having to leave the money for a certain period of time in the Roth IRA? If you can answer these two questions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks — W.C.

A. None of the Required Minimum Distribution can be converted or otherwise deposited into a Roth IRA. Only amounts in excess of your RMD can be converted to a Roth IRA

Last edited:
Next year I will turn 70 in March, so Minimum Required Distribution will be required.

1. Can I withdraw anytime during the calendar year
(Turn 70 in March, have CDs due before, in January

You can withdraw anytime during the year you turn 70 1/2 (actually, you can wait until April 15th the year after you turn 701/2 to draw it). If you do that, you will have to draw twice that year though.

Some people wait until the end of the year and withdraw a lump sum, others, like me, have a monthly draw to my checking account.

Next year I will turn 70 in March, so Minimum Required Distribution will be required. 2 Questions:
paying the tax ?

Convert some/all from tIRA to Roth this year and you won't have as large an MRD next year.

Just use the RMD money to pay the taxes on a different conversion which will of course cause more taxes to be paid. :)

Unfortunately, us that are collecting SS and having to pull RMDs are faced with tax payment on both. The downside could be being over 70 and not having an IRA (or taxable account) to pull funds from.

You can withdraw anytime during the year you turn 70 1/2 (actually, you can wait until April 15th the year after you turn 701/2 to draw it). If you do that, you will have to draw twice that year though.

Some people wait until the end of the year and withdraw a lump sum, others, like me, have a monthly draw to my checking account.

Yes, the 4/15 date of the following year only applies to the age 70.5 year. Every year after, like 71.5, must be done in the year of that age.

Back
Top Bottom