Join Early Retirement Today

Minimum Return on Safe Investment
Old 05-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Minimum Return on Safe Investment

I am looking at various options for investing, where can I find out what the minimum safe return I can get is? The idea is that I should expect a rate of return higher than this for any investment I can get into, because otherwise I can take the safe, low-risk investment.

I am thinking something like a 10-year treasury bond (US) so that it is government backed. I can look at this and CD rates. But where can I actually check to see what return I would get if I purchased a 10-yr treasury bond and held it to maturity?
inquisitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 11:22 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are 100% sure you are holding to maturity, I would consider a brokerage CD. Ten year ones are available through Vanguard at 3.35%, which is over 75 basis points better than a 10 year treasury currently is paying. Government insured, also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:30 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try this to understand treasuries:

Making Sense of Treasury Securities: Treasury Bills, Notes, and Bonds - The Simple Dollar

This for current rates
Daily Treasury Yield Curve Rates
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

In deciding you need to consider liquidity as well as safety and yield.

A 10 year treasury or a brokerage CD have interest rate risk - if you need that money prior to maturity you could end up with a loss if interest rates have increased since you bought it.

Bank CDs have an early withdrawal penalty of 6-18 months worth of interest.

Online FDIC insured savings have no credit risk and great liquidity, but low yields.

Pick your poison.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
I am looking at various options for investing, where can I find out what the minimum safe return I can get is? The idea is that I should expect a rate of return higher than this for any investment I can get into, because otherwise I can take the safe, low-risk investment.

I am thinking something like a 10-year treasury bond (US) so that it is government backed. I can look at this and CD rates. But where can I actually check to see what return I would get if I purchased a 10-yr treasury bond and held it to maturity?
Look at the interest rate to maturity on the day that you plan to buy.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:22 PM   #6

Treasury bonds still leave you exposed to inflation risks. If you want to get rid of that, you can look into TIPS. The yields are definitely discouraging.

Treasury Inflation-Protected Securities (TIPS) - Markets Data Center - WSJ.com
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:22 AM   #7

Consider series I Savings Bonds.
Safe, adjusts for inflation, has been beating online savings accounts and most CDs up to 5 years, plus you can sell without penalty after 5 years.
Current rate is 1.94%
Adjusts every 6 months.
Lots more here:
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv...res_ibonds.htm
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
Confused about dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Consider series I Savings Bonds.
Safe, adjusts for inflation, has been beating online savings accounts and most CDs up to 5 years, plus you can sell without penalty after 5 years.
Current rate is 1.94%
Adjusts every 6 months.
Lots more here:
https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv...res_ibonds.htm
Depending on your circumstances (size of portfolio) isn't the issue with I-Bonds the $10K purchase limit per person per year? Or am I missing something?
dougef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougef View Post
Depending on your circumstances (size of portfolio) isn't the issue with I-Bonds the $10K purchase limit per person per year? Or am I missing something?
You are correct.
Whether the 10K limit is an issue depends on what the individual is trying to accomplish.
If you are looking for a "single" resting place for a large amount, then not so good.
If you want to ladder for say 10 years, then I Bonds can be a nice addition to a portfolio.
But again, the issue here is safety, as in 100%. If we open the door for more risk, then I-Bonds quickly pale.
Old 05-18-2014, 08:05 AM   #10

For unrestricted safe investment I'd go with online savings accounts for something close to 0.90% interest. No time periods to worry about.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #11

If your definition of "safe" is something that does not lose money, then the 10 year bond would be a good baseline. But if it includes the risk of not keeping up with inflation, the I bond rate might be a good starting point. Also need to consider liquidity, if that is important to you.
David1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #12
gone traveling

Personally I don't get government bond for income. I can understand government bonds for trading, mf, or holding for short term. If you want safety and income use annuity or utility's stocks or their bonds. Tell me that I am wrong because I am doing the later for asset allocation instead of bonds .
LongPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
If you are 100% sure you are holding to maturity, I would consider a brokerage CD. Ten year ones are available through Vanguard at 3.35%, which is over 75 basis points better than a 10 year treasury currently is paying. Government insured, also.

Wow, what a deal!
Old 05-18-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Wow, what a deal!

Yes, it's a quick safe path to instant wealth! My initial "low interest rate environment" CDs will start to mature this fall. If nothing changes, I will start putting these in the 10 yr. brokerage CDs. Partially to increase my return, and partially to lock in so I don't waste any more time waiting to see if interest rates will go up.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:

Good deal so long as a reasonable escape hatch exists when Mr Inflation starts to call.. 3.35% looks good--10 years a little scary.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Partially to increase my return, and partially to lock in so I don't waste any more time waiting to see if interest rates will go up.
+1. Investing in CD ladders is on our to do list. 3.75 sounds like a good place to start our research. Thanks for the suggestion.
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:33 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
Good deal so long as a reasonable escape hatch exists when Mr Inflation starts to call.. 3.35% looks good--10 years a little scary.

I have actually about as much of my money in IBonds as I do CDs, so maybe that will help if it does happen. But I'm not real worried about inflation as I only spend about 60% of my monthly pension income and it will drop to 50% after I get this darn college bill whittled away. I'm more worried about losing money than making any. So every dollar I can stuff in a CD is one less dollar I will be tempted to invest with.