Join Early Retirement Today

Minimum time criteria for Roth IRA/401K
Old 05-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Minimum time criteria for Roth IRA/401K

There is a requirment for 401k Roth withdrawel at 59 1/2 without penalty, that the account must be in existance for 5 years, and obviously you must be over 59 1/2. Ignoring for the moment, the reasons that I would want to withdraw the funds, my question is, if I rollover the Roth 401k after two years to an existing Roth IRA, that only has a few thousand it it, does the account status of the IRA then satisfy the requirement for the 5 years, and can you then, immediately (or almost immediately) withdraw the whole amount without penalty? I am assuming that the Roth 401k would have $40,000 in it, and the existing Roth IRA would have $1000 in it, it that makes a difference.:confused:

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitestick View Post
There is a requirment for 401k Roth withdrawel at 59 1/2 without penalty, that the account must be in existance for 5 years, and obviously you must be over 59 1/2. Ignoring for the moment, the reasons that I would want to withdraw the funds, my question is, if I rollover the Roth 401k after two years to an existing Roth IRA, that only has a few thousand it it, does the account status of the IRA then satisfy the requirement for the 5 years, and can you then, immediately (or almost immediately) withdraw the whole amount without penalty? I am assuming that the Roth 401k would have $40,000 in it, and the existing Roth IRA would have $1000 in it, it that makes a difference.:confused:
Found the answer for you by googling "roth 401k site:irs.gov" and clicking on the first link:

"How is the 5-taxable-year period calculated in the case of a rollover of a distribution from a designated Roth account maintained under a section 401(k) or 403(b) plan to a Roth IRA?
In the case of a rollover of a distribution from a designated Roth account maintained under a section 401(k) or 403(b) plan to a Roth IRA, the period that the rolled-over funds were in the designated Roth account does not count towards the 5-taxable-year period for determining qualified distributions from the Roth IRA. However, if an individual had established a Roth IRA in a prior year, the 5-year period for determining qualified distributions from a Roth IRA that began as a result of that earlier Roth IRA contribution applies to any distributions from the Roth IRA (including a distribution of an amount attributable to a rollover contribution from a designated Roth account)."

The way I read that you can do what you describe.

2Cor521

"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Cool! Thanks for finding the link and the answer.
Old 06-01-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You bet!

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
401k, ira