Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 11:40 AM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Dawg52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Central MS/Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 7,432
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Darn, back to "fear mode".
__________________

__________________
Retired 3/31/2007@52
Full time wuss.......
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Perhaps I will miss the Dow at 7000 no longer if we see that level again. It is ugly and painful but nonetheless music to my ears.

Maybe I should claim that I have special skills to time the market and that I called this correction?
__________________

__________________
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:45 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
It is ugly and painful but nonetheless music to my ears.
I can see an additional item to be added to the list for possible expulsion from the forum.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Figures. On Saturday I furtively moved half my TSP out of the (ultra-conservative) G Fund and into equity funds.
So you are to blame!
__________________
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #85
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Figures. On Saturday I furtively moved half my TSP out of the (ultra-conservative) G Fund and into equity funds.
On Saturday? Will it only get executed at market close today? Which means that it might work out for you yet. Tomorrow is another day, and the market may bounce back.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #86
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
On Saturday? Will it only get executed at market close today? Which means that it might work out for you yet. Tomorrow is another day, and the market may bounce back.
It might, and I hope you are right! I don't really remember if they execute it at market open or market close, when you request it on the weekend like that. Yes, hopefully the market will bounce back.

I did it not out of logical analysis, but in a moment of irrational greed, which is not usually the best investment practice. Oops.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #87
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,866
W2R, I'll try to remember to follow your lead and do the opposite. Got so inspired today, I overcame my lazy RE put-it-off-until-tomorrow ways and finally cleaned out my "Suze Orman get $100 free money market account." Plan to put the proceeds into equities, may wait a week or two, but W2R, let me know if you buy equities in the meantime.
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:02 PM   #88
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
So you are to blame!
Yes, let's focus blame where blame is due. W2R caused this market to pull back. I'm just sitting back enjoying it.
__________________
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #89
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Yes, let's focus blame where blame is due. W2R caused this market to pull back. I'm just sitting back enjoying it.
Well don't enjoy it for too long, or you'll miss the short term bottom, or local minimum, or whateveryouwannacallit. Invest! Invest!
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:11 PM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,391
Not! If the TSP is like mutual funds, it will get executed at today's close. I don't know if W2R is scrambling to cancel the order, or if it can even be cancelled. Still, we don't know if the market will bounce back tomorrow. And we may just be back to where we were last Thursday, when Audrey kicked herself for rebalancing too soon, many others were regretting about not going "all in", and I would be missing the money I could have made. And Dawg would stop posting the "head banger" emoticon.

Life just goes on, and the market goes up and down. And I am going to Costco to get my tires rotated and balanced now.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:24 PM   #91
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Not! If the TSP is like mutual funds, it will get executed at today's close. I don't know if W2R is scrambling to cancel the order, or if it can even be cancelled. Still, we don't know if the market will bounce back tomorrow. And we may just be back to where we were last Thursday, when Audrey kicked herself for rebalancing too soon, many others were regretting about not going "all in", and I would be missing the money I could have made. And Dawg would stop posting the "head banger" emoticon.

Life just goes on, and the market goes up and down. And I am going to Costco to get my tires rotated and balanced now.
No, I wasn't scrambling to cancel - - was just morosely thinking that eventually it would have to come up. So, good!! Maybe that WASN'T such a dumb decision, even if the base motivation was purely greed.

Oh yes, it was dumb. It was really dumb, because it violated my financial plan and asset allocation. I was just thinking that a rising tide floats all boats. Eventually I will have to move it back to G Fund though I don't plan to do that at the moment.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #92
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,031
Years ago I took a Chinese cooking class and Mrs. Wong told us the secret to good rice is to just ignore it and I have found this also works with the market . Most of my tweaking has not had positive results with rice or the market .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 920
But what if she was Wong?
__________________
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And we may just be back to where we were last Thursday, when Audrey kicked herself for rebalancing too soon, many others were regretting about not going "all in", and I would be missing the money I could have made.
There you go again NW-Bound! I never kicked myself for rebalancing "too soon". No such concept. I'm perfectly well aware that my system may have me moving early at times (and sometimes not), but either way doesn't bother me at all.

Audrey
__________________
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:26 PM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
And I am going to Costco to get my tires rotated and balanced now.
Well, I am back from Costco. The wait was short; it appeared that not too many people were buying tires. Perhaps they can add another economic indicator, the average remaining thread on car tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Years ago I took a Chinese cooking class and Mrs. Wong told us the secret to good rice is to just ignore it and I have found this also works with the market.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
But what if she was Wong?
But, but, but... she IS Wong!


Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
There you go again NW-Bound! I never kicked myself for rebalancing "too soon". No such concept. I'm perfectly well aware that my system may have me moving early at times (and sometimes not), but either way doesn't bother me at all.
Audrey
Kicking is indeed too strong a word. I remembered a post from someone else that expressed a slight regret (not kicking!) about rebalancing a bit too soon, and got confused. You indeed said that if the market kept on rallying, you would be selling more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
No, I wasn't scrambling to cancel - - was just morosely thinking that eventually it would have to come up. So, good!! Maybe that WASN'T such a dumb decision, even if the base motivation was purely greed.

Oh yes, it was dumb. It was really dumb, because it violated my financial plan and asset allocation. I was just thinking that a rising tide floats all boats. Eventually I will have to move it back to G Fund though I don't plan to do that at the moment.
"Greed is GOOD!" Gordon Gekko (character in "Wall Street")

So, what? I admit to having "fear and greed" emotions all the time. However, I usually do not do anything about it. Have not been selling nor buying anything lately. One day doesn't a trend make. If the market kept going down every day for a week or two, that would be worrysome. If enough people believe that we are going into a W-shaped recovery, we just might... More than the effect on stock prices, I don't like to see more people getting fired, and don't want to read sad stories about people facing hardship...

Though I do not day trade, I still like to follow the market. Seems like many people here do too. Is it morbid curiosity? Can any of us heed the advice of Bogle I read a while back somewhere, to open your brokerage statement only once a year?

I do not have a fixed criteria for rebalancing, and have no current plan to buy nor sell anything. If the market kept rising, I may let my stock AA get up to 80% from the 65% now. If it is going down, well, I don't know yet...

Right now, I want to "see" the market direction to make plan for my discretionary spending in the next 6-month to 1 year: travels and the potential RV. If more people like myself stay in the perpetual planning stage, it is tough to get the recovery going.

PS. The man whose plight was discussed in a recent thread (and who could have had his ethanol fix cheaper per our jokes) worked at Jayco, an RV manufacturer whose models I considered. So many RV makers are in big trouble.

The truth is that most of the things being consumed in our society belong in the discretionary class, if not the luxury class. But is that not the distinction between developed nations and third-world countries where the only thing people look forward to is a bowl of rice?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:40 PM   #96
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Well, I am back from Costco. The wait was short; it appeared that not too many people were buying tires. Perhaps they can add another economic indicator, the average remaining thread on car tires.
Well, we're doing our part. Right now we're in Knoxville TN trying to get the tires we really want. You have to replace tires every 5 years on motorhomes. Had to special order these and call Goodyear directly (again!) to make sure they made them available to the local distributor. Have to wait another week for them. Lots to do around here so no problem.

$475 a piece! (includes install) and need 6 of them! Like I said - we're doing our part to help the economy.

Audrey
__________________
audreyh1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:51 PM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
$475 a piece! (includes install) and need 6 of them! Like I said - we're doing our part to help the economy.
Did I ever tell you about the time I got 4 brand new high quality tires for my honda civic for $160 delivered and installed? <where's that hiding under the chair icon again>

This will probably come back to bite me because I'm taking DW's car in to get new tires later this week most likely... They'll probably gouge me for $300-400. For all 4! <hiding under chair again>
__________________
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Figures. On Saturday I furtively moved half my TSP out of the (ultra-conservative) G Fund and into equity funds.
Whoooo I am impressed!
But I'll betcha this move pays off for you in the long run.
I'm still putting the majority of my monthly DCA into equities (MFs).
And I plan to continue to do that until next year or longer. Why? Because I want to.
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:34 PM   #99
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,391
Another gutsy lady. I like it!

BUY BUY BUY...
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #100
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Whoooo I am impressed!
But I'll betcha this move pays off for you in the long run.
I'm still putting the majority of my monthly DCA into equities (MFs).
And I plan to continue to do that until next year or longer. Why? Because I want to.
Thanks. I hope so, though it was probably a dumb thing to do. But if it pays off, I can sell high and end up with all G Fund in my TSP like before, but more of it.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy and Hold the original Dow 30 vs. investing in the Dow 30 index.... HokieHill FIRE and Money 1 04-07-2009 04:09 PM
Open below 7000? Hal3 Stock Picking and Market Strategy 13 03-07-2009 03:20 AM
Another view, DOW 3000 or DOW 12,200? RockOn FIRE and Money 25 03-03-2008 10:59 PM
$7000 question?? confusing... Enuff2Eat FIRE and Money 21 12-14-2005 10:26 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:32 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.