Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-05-2016, 05:51 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
This means he is smart, really smart.
+1 I see it also!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

So if I want a really big battery for our RV, I could buy a Leaf for $14K and throw the car away and keep the battery?

Old 10-05-2016, 07:53 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
So if I want a really big battery for our RV, I could buy a Leaf for $14K and throw the car away and keep the battery?
You could probably buy a battery at a junk yard from a crashed electric car for less. My Escape hybrid battery is 330 volts, though, so you may find your fans run a little fast and the lights are a little bright.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:02 AM   #24

Quote:
You could probably buy a battery at a junk yard from a crashed electric car for less. My Escape hybrid battery is 330 volts, though, so you may find your fans run a little fast and the lights are a little bright.
Pretty sure you can parallel these, and they are only $28 each:

New Vicor VI 264 CU BM F1 DC DC Converter Module in 300V 250W Out 48V 200W | eBay
Old 10-05-2016, 08:10 AM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
This means he is smart, really smart.
One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to take advantage of $21,000 in government subsidies on a $35,000 purchase.

What it does prove is that the system is broken if the government is paying 60% of the purchase price of a new vehicle.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Pretty sure you can parallel these, and they are only $28 each:

New Vicor VI 264 CU BM F1 DC DC Converter Module in 300V 250W Out 48V 200W | eBay
I was joking. The batteries in electric cars are a bunch of lower voltage cells, the better way would be to reassemble the cells in combination a series/ parallel arrangement to get the voltage you wanted.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:12 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to take advantage of $21,000 in government subsidies on a $35,000 purchase.

What it does prove is that the system is broken if the government is paying 60% of the purchase price of a new vehicle.
What is that internet law thing called where a majority of people will not get a sarcastic post?
Old 10-05-2016, 08:15 AM   #28

Quote:
I was joking. The batteries in electric cars are a bunch of lower voltage cells, the better way would be to reassemble the cells in combination a series/ parallel arrangement to get the voltage you wanted.
I was being serious. The attractiveness of a big factory made battery pack is you have the charging and safety systems already worked out for you. If you go messing with rewiring the pack, you probably have to engineer a whole lot of other things and lose the nice safe easy to charge battery module. If you work with whatever voltage the thing outputs, it might be better.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:51 AM   #29

I'm suspicious of no compensation. I'll have to take his word, but I can still be suspicious.

I'm a reviewer for a well known retail chain and I get a lot of very nice product for free simply by reviewing. It is actually kind of nice, and shocking. This is the new way of spending marketing money. I'm not saying he got something for free, but I suspect his ad revenue from the blog is tied in with hits on car brand or some such other twisted compensation metric.
Old 10-05-2016, 10:05 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I was being serious. The attractiveness of a big factory made battery pack is you have the charging and safety systems already worked out for you. If you go messing with rewiring the pack, you probably have to engineer a whole lot of other things and lose the nice safe easy to charge battery module. If you work with whatever voltage the thing outputs, it might be better.
Electric cars and hybrids still have a 12 volt system which is charged through a large DC-DC inverter. If you bought a high voltage electric car battery, you could harvest the inverter, as well. Mine is rated for 110 amps at 12 volts.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
I'm a reviewer for a well known retail chain and I get a lot of very nice product for free simply by reviewing. It is actually kind of nice, and shocking. This is the new way of spending marketing money.

I'm glad to see Amazon just banned this practice.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
But they still allow it in the 'Vine' program? But I guess that is anonymous between the supplier and the reviewer, but it still seems dodgy to me.

-ERD50
Old 10-05-2016, 11:58 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But they still allow it in the 'Vine' program? But I guess that is anonymous between the supplier and the reviewer, but it still seems dodgy to me.

-ERD50
I'm not a Vine reviewer, but I'm in a similar program with a different retailer, and I am fully identified like Vine reviewers. As far as I know, Vine is alive and well. The change they made was of the direct from manufacturer reviewers who simply started their Amazon review with a catch phrase
Old 10-05-2016, 02:19 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by enginerd View Post
I was pretty sure 2 years ago the Govt came out with very clear guidelines that ANY compensation NOT disclosed was against the law. ie that all bloggers, reviewers, etc no matter how small the compensation needs to disclose...compensation is not just in the form of cash, but can include free food, airlines, hotel stay, products, etc.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:26 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post

I get $12,153 as the government subsidy.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:42 PM   #36

Vine is okay because Amazon runs the program, not the merchants. Vine reviewers can give 1 star reviews and they don't have to worry about not getting more products to review. The merchants have no say or control over who gets to review their products. There is no incentive for reviewers to give all positive reviews like there is in programs not run by Amazon.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
I was pretty sure 2 years ago the Govt came out with very clear guidelines that ANY compensation NOT disclosed was against the law. ie that all bloggers, reviewers, etc no matter how small the compensation needs to disclose...compensation is not just in the form of cash, but can include free food, airlines, hotel stay, products, etc.
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/busi...ple-are-asking

Yes truth in advertising while they also admit on the front page describing the law they do not enforce the law unless there are ENOUGH complaints to justify LOOKING at the activity. MMM has stated on the blog that MMM is not a real person and income spending figures and income received are not his actual figures but a this is persona used to create an internet presence. So since MMM does not actually own the Nissan Leaf then the law would not apply as MMM never actually received the Leaf. But hey when you become a multimillionaire by claiming to spend only 25K per year, while taking trips to Canada, Central America & Hawaii keeping people coming to your blog makes life good and any controversy only increases traffic.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:21 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post

MMM has stated on the blog that MMM is not a real person and income spending figures and income received are not his actual figures but a this is persona used to create an internet presence. So since MMM does not actually own the Nissan Leaf then the law would not apply as MMM never actually received the Leaf. But hey when you become a multimillionaire by claiming to spend only 25K per year, while taking trips to Canada, Central America & Hawaii keeping people coming to your blog makes life good and any controversy only increases traffic.
100% agree. I wonder what this guy's popularity says about the perspicacity of his followers.

Ha
Old 10-05-2016, 03:35 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Running_Man View Post

Yes truth in advertising while they also admit on the front page describing the law they do not enforce the law unless there are ENOUGH complaints to justify LOOKING at the activity. MMM has stated on the blog that MMM is not a real person and income spending figures and income received are not his actual figures but a this is persona used to create an internet presence. So since MMM does not actually own the Nissan Leaf then the law would not apply as MMM never actually received the Leaf. But hey when you become a multimillionaire by claiming to spend only 25K per year, while taking trips to Canada, Central America & Hawaii keeping people coming to your blog makes life good and any controversy only increases traffic.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
100% agree. I wonder what this guy's popularity says about the perspicacity of his followers.

Ha
+1 again.

These 2 quotes from Running_Man and haha succintly describe my thoughts and feelings on MMM.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:14 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
What is that internet law thing called where a majority of people will not get a sarcastic post?
Sometimes I miss the obvious...