Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #81
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I'm not really a fan but have read a few of his blogs. From what I recall, most of his leisure activity is along the lines of hiking and making craft beer...very inexpensive endeavors. No boats, no overseas trips, no new or second vehicles (until now I guess), no eating out, etc. If your house is paid off, you do your own DIY, and your leisure activities are free or almost free, then $25,000 is plenty to live on.
So just out of curiosity.

How much does Mr. Money mustache pay for his family's health insurance?

I have health insurance through my mega Corp. so I've never really had to price health insurance on the open market.

I could retire today and produce $25,000 a year off my portfolio but I imagine paying for health insurance out of pocket would take a huge bite out of my $2000 a month retirement budget.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 10:07 AM   #82
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesky View Post

I have health insurance through my mega Corp. so I've never really had to price health insurance on the open market.

I could retire today and produce $25,000 a year off my portfolio but I imagine paying for health insurance out of pocket would take a huge bite out of my $2000 a month retirement budget.
He had a blog post in 2012 that said they paid $237 per month...I have no idea sure what they pay today:

Our New $237/month Health Insurance Plan

Old 10-08-2016, 11:19 PM   #83
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

He claims to pay $237 a month for a family of 3 but the plan has a family deductible of $20,000 before they begin to pay any claims. Of course with 400K per year of income there is not too much worry about that 20K but if you are living on 25K per year this is the way to financial nirvana. He claims healthy living means no doctor bills. He claimed this is the way to make early retirement work and helpfully provided a link to get this great insurance plan, which of course pays him an affiliate fee and makes insurance costs affordable, this is a great world!!
Old 10-09-2016, 12:54 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
He had a blog post in 2012 that said they paid $237 per month...I have no idea sure what they pay today:

Our New $237/month Health Insurance Plan

I am pretty sure that plan is not available anymore...

And if he does make $400K then he is not getting subsidy....

And I also bet his insurance cost is now much higher.... either that or he just dropped insurance...
Old 10-09-2016, 07:26 PM   #85
Recycles dryer sheets

MMM Buys Brand New Nissan Leaf; "An Experiment"

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Interesting. I once knew a man with a wooden leg named Smith.

Seems my modifier was dangling. Thanks for the correction. Too bad about your friend.
Old 10-09-2016, 08:59 PM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
My retiree health plan is the same exact plan I had when w*orking, I was curious so I went to NY's exchange and to see a plan thats even close to what I have now. For a Platinum plan with a slightly higher co-pay and out of pocket it would cost me $1,500 a month for just me and my DW. Not eligible for subsidies, what a freaking eye opener that was. $18,000 a year holy crap.