Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2014, 06:49 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One more "historic" hedge against inflation is to own precious metals (primarily gold.) Not too many folks on this forum believe this is a good strategy because gold has little intrinsic value (you make jewelry out of it and the occasional electronic connection). It doesn't "earn" anything (even cash in a bank earns interest - well, it used to - and probably will again). Gold is difficult to store safely, etc. etc. etc.

But, for recorded history, gold has been considered money and it can't be "created" in the same way dollars and Euros (and ZIM - see the example above) can be printed. It has wide swings in value vs various "currencies", but for a first approximation, "one ounce of gold has always bought a suit of clothes." Not a recommendation, but I have seen a recommendation to hold 3 to 5% of your NW in gold. I have seen articles (can't vouch for them) which show a smoothing effect when gold in this amount is held with stocks and bonds.

Not attempting to set off a fire storm, but OP asked what might be an inflation strategy. Each of us has to decide if he thinks it's a good inflation stategy or not. More than ever, YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Happily, one of my former employers has offered a nice explanation in comic book format: https://archive.org/details/gov.frb.ny.comic.inflation
It's not a bad "Cliff Notes" version of inflation or monetary policy.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:37 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It's not a bad "Cliff Notes" version of inflation or monetary policy.
My 10 year old knows more about macroeconomics than most adults just from reading every Fed comic I was able to find.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 04:48 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Inflation, Irish style......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (129.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 06-19-2014, 06:29 PM   #25

Quote:
My 10 year old knows more about macroeconomics than most adults just from reading every Fed comic I was able to find.
I bet he knows more than a few economists as well, given the crazy stuff some of them have said.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:35 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I bet he knows more than a few economists as well, given the crazy stuff some of them have said.

He is a she. She asked to learn about investing this summer, so we have started this week with lessons on financial accounting and how financial statements work.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #27

Quote:
He is a she. She asked to learn about investing this summer, so we have started this week with lessons on financial accounting and how financial statements work.
I knew from prior posts, beg pardon.
Good luck with the teaching. A solid financial foundation goes a long way and gives an excellent competitive edge in the jobs market...but you already know that. I tried but wasn't around enough when mine were that age, later it was just too late.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:56 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I knew from prior posts, beg pardon.
Good luck with the teaching. A solid financial foundation goes a long way and gives an excellent competitive edge in the jobs market...but you already know that. I tried but wasn't around enough when mine were that age, later it was just too late.
This is a key motivator for me to have bail on the cube. They are still young enough that I can get through to them. Better yet, as my eldest picks this up quickly, her younger sister eagerly awaits her turn. Hopefully neither will need to bother with an MBA as they will have already gotten the homeschool version of the most valuable stuff.

- Will Rogers
Old 06-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Can people sell the 1/2 size candy for $1 even if there is no inflation? And if everyone does the same thing (despite no inflation), should this still be called inflation (in the sense that everyone sells things for more although the cost to make them didn't change)? or this hypothesis doesn't happen in real llife? (I see prices going up or sizes of boxes getting smaller, but , but I cannot tell if people are getting more greedy or if cost to make them is getting higher (and I imagine the latter is true inflation...??)
Basically, no. If someone can sell 1/2 size candy for $1, (when you used to get a full size for $1), by definition, there is inflation. If there was not inflation, nobody would buy it. If you can sell something for more money in the future, no matter the cause, there is inflation.

If something goes up in price due to greed or cost, the result is the same, inflation.

It has also been mentioned that money supply can be a cause... think about that, if everyone in the US just got a 100% raise, do you think prices would stay the same or go up?
Old 06-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
Does the market follow inflation (do stock prices go up when inflation goes up?) How do you protect yourself from inflation?
Stock prices don't track inflation closely, but top line revenue should.

If the average cost of consumer goods goes up (i.e. the price of a typical market basket of goods goes up), then the firms that sell those goods are getting more revenue per widget.

Whether or not that makes it to the bottom line depends on all the other items in the gain and loss calculation.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:57 PM   #31

Somewhere in one of my business courses I remember discussing return on investment (ROE). The Prof said that people want a return on their investment commensurate with the risk involved. The example was if an investor/owner can get say 4% on his money no risk, he will not accept say a lease on property at the same rate. i.e. more risk.

Where does this come into play. Well say you own a fast food restaurant. The return on your investment is say 10%, and you are happy. Now say your employees want/demand a raise. If you give them that raise, your ROE will be 8%. You can get 8% on other investments with less risk and less stress. Chances are your will either figure out a way to get back to your 10% ROE, or you will cash out of the business, if possible. The most probable course of action is to raise your prices to cover your increase cost. The increase is seen as 'inflation'. It should also be noted that your increase in raise ripples through out the economy, and in the long run the employees are right back where they were in a couple of years. (There elected leaders that promised them a raise, however are happy)

If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote