?? Mom's care with Trust and VA benefits

BoBo1

Confused about dryer sheets
Hi,
This is my first post! Does anyone have any words of wisdom regarding: does anyone know about getting "improved pension" from the VA (under 38 SC 1513 and/or 1541). We (brother) are working with a person (nonprofit) who specializes in getting addtional money for Veterans. He feels like we will be able to get 1000.00/month. The VA has an asset limit of 44K (like Medicaid but higher). It is suggested that we put Mom's assets in an irrevovable trust with assets split betw brother and me in two funds as beneficaries. The trust needs to be structured as a retirement/pension for the children but the money can be taken out for care for Mom. Also to get deferred annuity to control the amount of income because she cannot have more than 44K in her name. This would preserve her assets. She has about 350K (including her house, which we will sell). She gets about 2400 per month SS and Pensions and with the VA added benefits it would be 3400/month. She has dementia and we just moved her into my brother's home and she has a full time care taker (which aggrevates her :)). I have not spoken with a trust attorney, yet. The advisor person thinks we can set this up ourselves; with his help because he has done this many times before. He has a trust form that was developed by an attorney for him to use. Anyway, any suggestions on the VA benefits, trust, deferred tax annutiy, etc.
Thanks much!!

Back
Top Bottom