Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: How will the S&P close on Monday?
+2+% 16 21.62%
+1% 30 40.54%
0% 10 13.51%
-1% 10 13.51%
-2+% 8 10.81%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Monday Market Poll
Old 01-20-2006, 02:01 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac
Monday Market Poll

Gain/Loss guesses for the S&P after the close on Monday 1/23.

Have fun
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Monday Market Poll
Old 01-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That was a bit of an owie, now, wasnt it?

I think its a bit overdone/oversold. Might keep going another trading day or two though.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:05 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()
That was a bit of an owie, now, wasnt it?

I think its a bit overdone/oversold.* Might keep going another trading day or two though.
I'm guessing your portfolio was down 30K to 40K today, hmmmmm.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
I'm not going to look at mine. But at least I'm glad I rebalanced $50K out of stocks earlier this year.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

About 18k including all of our retirement accts.

*shrug*

I think i'll have a second bowl of soup...

When it bounces back, I'll have some 20k up days.

I just put 20k in cash into equities. If we have another down day on monday I'll buy another 20k. If we have another one like that on tuesday or wednesday, i'll cash out a cd early and put that in.

Rinse and repeat until the bleeding stops.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #6

Hopefully, nobody decided to pick this week to retire.
Old 01-20-2006, 04:23 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Hopefully, nobody decided to pick this week to retire.
Well, actually, about two and a half weeks ago, but I'm easy. 8) If I have to go back to semi-retired/self-employed, it's no big deal. Ten years from now it would be a biggie, but not now. I think those of us who didn't get used to a regular pay check and are used to vagaries in getting paid might have an easier time with this, or are used to pretending it's okay. I have some money in cash I'll put into equities if this downward movement continues. I had shifted my asset allocation the week I retired, more cash and bonds.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 04:39 PM   #8

I think I will just skip checking my portfolio.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought more equities today, too. Equal amounts in small cap value and TM small cap. I am still sitting on a bunch of cash and short term reserves. Good buying opportunity. If Monday looks the same, I will also repeat the process.

I had less volatility today then when the dow crossed 11K

LL
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:31 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, guys. I entered a couple buy orders yesterday and didn't realize what'd happen when the word got out.

From now on Warren Buffett and I will BOTH ask the SEC to keep our transactions confidential...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 05:55 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

This was one of the worst days in the market in awhile. That's means BUY:
Studies show if you miss the 10, 20, or 30 worst days in the market over a period of time then you have stellar returns.

I was compelled to buy ... I could not stop myself. Nevertheless, I think Monday will be a day of little to no change.

Still up for the year! Good luck everyone.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:08 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire@40
Down 52K today for me. Always sucks when it happens on a Friday, cause then you have to stare at it all weekend.
CybrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:00 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

After the ramp up into Jan I moved everything to bonds. With those market expectations I believed that, after last year, earnings this year wouldn't be able to keep pace with the poor consumer response during Christmas. Also Iran (and the upcoming bourse) would put pressure on oil, which would do same to stocks. Unexpectedly Bin Ladin threats and the Niger kidnappings just added to the stew. This all occured earlier than I thought, but so far so good.

Monday? who knows and who cares? Going into March when the bourse opens I exepect Iran to stay in the news and to supress stocks. Closer in we should see better, but around that time I expect the reality of the housing market will become better known. A combination of the Fed and sentiment will invert the Yield curve out to 30 years, likely, and regardless we'll move into recession probably by summer.

For 2006 I don't see any positives for stock indicies. Anybody?
danm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 07:13 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I do. The nearly perma bear around here the last couple of years.

I think 2006 may be one of the better years for equities since 1999.
Old 01-21-2006, 07:15 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Good! Why?
Old 01-21-2006, 07:32 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Because not one of us knows where its going to go, and because it goes up when bad things happen and down when good things happen. Or vice versa. Or goes nowhere.

But if you want a real reason why I think so, not that it'll matter a whit, its because the market does well when theres a lot of cash on the sidelines and people feel good about putting it into an asset class.

Theres a lot of cash on the sidelines. Plus bonds are paying crap and will continue to pay crap for the next year or more. People have been easing from bonds to cash because theres no reason to take on bond and interest rate risk when you can get almost the same coupon from a money market and 150 basis points advantage from a 5 year CD. Then they're itchy with the cash because its barely squeaking out something beyond inflation.

The markets gone mostly sideways since the start of the big decline in 2000. Valuations by many measures have caught up and blown past stock prices. A lot of stocks selling at similar levels for several years have doubled their earnings without the stock price moving. About 90% of the talking heads I've heard and read claim the market is the cheapest its been in a long time and that their customers are becoming more comfortable with equities, which should make 2006 a good year. I dont believe anything after the word "I..." that comes out of a talking heads mouth, but almost everyone else does.

Look at WMT as a case in point. PE of ~17. Has gone nowhere in 5 years. Stocks at a low point in the cycle its been locked into. Biggest retailer on the planet with huge revenues, great profit points and a lot of upside. On sale or at worst, fairly valued. Go take a 5 year chart of the stock and have a peek. Those things dont tend to break to the downside.

There are a whole lotta stocks just like that.

But like I said, at the end of the day, we dont know. You can add up all the negative nelliness or pump as much sunshine up your butt as you like. All it takes is for the herd to think they hear a starters pistol in conjunction with the trillion dollars of sideline money for a rally. Or for someone to throw a dead skunk into the bullpen. Given the lackluster performance and the fact that most people have already forgotten about the carnage in 2000 (see:google), I think we're more likely to hear a starters pistol than see a skunk thrown.
Old 01-21-2006, 08:47 AM   #17

I think I was up about $1k for Friday.

"Because not one of us knows where its going to go, and because it goes up when bad things happen and down when good things happen. Or vice versa. Or goes nowhere."

(), because JG is gone right now, I think I'll step in: I'm not a big believer in Bogleism (sp?) fatalism. It's important to TRY to figure things out or find a Warren Buffet who can do it for you. But you're right too, the short-term is very, very difficult to figure out.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:04 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I have no idea about Friday or Monday or my balanced index portfolio.

BUT - I assume the computers at Vanguard did and will stay running - and rebalanced their little hearts out.

heh heh heh heh heh heh

If football gets boring - I may look and take a SWAG at %.

Looking at rolling up all the small pots I haven't got around to and at age 62/63 this year including that whole file cabinet of DRIPs accumulated since 1989 and going: Vanguard Target Retirement 2015, some Roth conversion Lifestrategy mod in case I don't croak on time at 84.6. My Vanguard Broker gets the Norwegian widow.

Damp the SD - up the spend profile in my 60's and 70's - Roth and rest home/drool cup in my 80's.

Like football - the markets are fun to watch.

Alas - being a really cheap bastard in the first 12 years of ER sure was fun though. Gonna miss it a little.

heh heh heh heh heh heh

?Seattle/Denver and +1% on Monday?

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 09:19 AM   #19

danm: My current market bias is 60% up (inflation) and 40% down (deflation). It's bothersome to me that the Fed is pumping money into the system while simultaniously raising interest rates, kinda like adding ExLax and a cork to the system--"let's make this little piggy as big as we can." They must think they're gods to be able to control both ends at once. Maybe they are. My only tweak to the portfolio has been to add a couple of natural gas stocks after Rita--so far. Good Luck.
Old 01-21-2006, 09:26 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypse . . .um . . .SOON
danm:* My current market bias is 60% up (inflation) and 40% down (deflation).* It's bothersome to me that the Fed is pumping money into the system while simultaniously raising interest rates, kinda like adding ExLax and a cork to the system--"let's make this little piggy as big as we can."* They must think they're gods to be able to control both ends at once.* Maybe they are.* My only tweak to the portfolio has been to add a couple of natural gas stocks after Rita--so far.* Good Luck.
Very good. I'm rather 60% deflation/40% inflation. The Fed pump (high liquidity) is common in mild deflation. They're trying (my read) to keep the party going by having lots of capital available for any spending, anybody might wish to do. When the housing situation is perfectly obvious to everybody those efforts will be much less effective. They are already actually.

The consumer can't borrow to spend anymore (though never underestimate how long irrationality can go on), and businesses certainly aren't going to pick it up. Why bother when China fulfills your capital spending needs?