Join Early Retirement Today

Monday Milestones!
Old 05-31-2007, 06:39 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Monday Milestones!

OK, well I know it's not Monday, but I like alliteration!

I thought I would just announce that I have reached the milestone where my FIRE stash, defined as:

+ My FIRE assets
+ My kids' college assets
- Mortgage
- Other debt
- NPV of kids' college expenses
- NPV of remaining child support payments

is positive! Woohoo!

Now if my annual expenses were $175.42, I could retire!

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Once you have hit that milestone the compounding really seems to kick into overdrive! CONGRATS on a POSITIVE NET WORTH!!!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:20 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
Once you have hit that milestone the compounding really seems to kick into overdrive! CONGRATS on a POSITIVE NET WORTH!!!
Positive net worth? What's that?

In all seriousness, that's wonderful news! Embracing the milestones really keeps me going and reminds me that it all is moving in the right direction even if sometimes it seems like nothing is happening...
Peaceful_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 04:59 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
Connie,

Thanks! I actually have had a positive regular net worth for a while, but I calculate a "FIRE net worth" that just went positive a few days ago. The latter ignores my home equity and includes the NPV for some fairly large expenses.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
Our Victory
Old 06-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #5

Our Victory

Congratulations 2Cor!!!!!!!!!

DW wife and I had a big win last year too. Our NW surpassed our NW of 1995 when our first kid was born! Exciting stuff isn't it.
Darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Congradulations
Old 06-02-2007, 05:02 AM   #6

Congradulations

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
OK, well I know it's not Monday, but I like alliteration!

I thought I would just announce that I have reached the milestone where my FIRE stash, defined as:

+ My FIRE assets
+ My kids' college assets
- Mortgage
- Other debt
- NPV of kids' college expenses
- NPV of remaining child support payments

is positive! Woohoo!

Now if my annual expenses were $175.42, I could retire!

2Cor521
I wasn't in the negative at the time, but I remember when I first sought advice at this web site and ended up paying off my remaining mortgage and car payments. My net worth in the last three years has doubled and it does feel soooo good to know you are on your way. The increase savings causes increased gains causes increased clean air in one's life. Keep up the good work.
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Thanks all!

2Cor521
Old 10-28-2007, 09:56 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

OK, another milestone to announce!

Y'all (I can say that, I was born in the South, unclemick and Want2Retire!) know about the 4% rule, right?

Well, if I retired today, I would be under...yes under a 200% withdrawal rate for the first time ever!

Woohoo!

2Cor521
who knows it's not Monday where I am, but it is Monday where the Queen is...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I had always hoped this thread would turn into a place where folks could celebrate their milestones, whatever they are...

At any rate, my withdrawal rate is now under 20% for the first time ever.

And my new retirement age is under 48 (47.60 to be precise) for the first time ever. I have 106 months to go to FI.

Due to negative CPI-P, I expect that number to continue to drop...

2Cor521
Old 04-01-2008, 06:47 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations! You're making great progress and before you know it, you will have reached your goals.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #11

Congratulations! Impressive growth, especially given the tumultuous market conditions.

I was thinking it's been pretty quiet lately for NW milestones. Thanks for cheering us up!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 06:56 PM   #12
Gone but not forgotten

Congratulations ! You are doing a great job ! What a great Dad you are !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 07:33 PM   #13

SecondCor521’s Somewhat-Less-Lazy-O-Rama A0R 2.0 – March 4, 2008

It must have been your stash from the credit card applications that put you over the line
Old 04-01-2008, 08:27 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Woo-hoo! Just calculated our portfolio return for the last 12 months. It's above 0%!!!
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:39 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Woo-hoo! Just calculated our portfolio return for the last 12 months. It's above 0%!!!
Yay!! It could be worse with all this volatility!

Most of my nestegg is in my taxable account, which is up 1.6% since I last added to it on February 14th. That's a lot better than it could have been, so I'm happy.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:33 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddythebeagle View Post
SecondCor521’s Somewhat-Less-Lazy-O-Rama A0R 2.0 – March 4, 2008

It must have been your stash from the credit card applications that put you over the line

Not really, though. The stash gets counted various ways but for my retirement calculations it gets counted both as an asset earning a short term interest rate and a liability to be repaid later. So it helps to the extent that I'm earning 4% on a small six figure sum.

2Cor521

P.S. -- I thought that was you over there.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:32 AM   #17

Congrats, secondcor!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:47 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
At any rate, my withdrawal rate is now under 20% for the first time ever.

And my new retirement age is under 48 (47.60 to be precise) for the first time ever. I have 106 months to go to FI.

Due to negative CPI-P, I expect that number to continue to drop...

2Cor521
That's great!

Our NW hit a new milestone yesterday at $1.41 million
Old 09-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

OK, I just passed another milestone: Bronze FIRE!

"What the heck is 'Bronze FIRE'?" you ask?

It started with me wanting to establish intermediate milestones on my path to FIRE. I decided that full retirement at the 4% rule would be the gold standard for my retirement, so that became "Gold FIRE". As of today I have 66 months to Gold FIRE.

"Silver FIRE" assumes 40 hours a week at a minimum wage job, which really just translates into "I can 'retire' from my high-paying job and just work at Starbucks". As of today I have 18 months to Silver FIRE.

"Bronze FIRE" assumes 40 hours a week at a minimum wage job plus income from modest AOR's (see the posts above referencing my credit card arbitrage). As of today I am at Bronze FIRE. After the minimum wage job and A0R income, I can live on a 2.13% withdrawal rate from my portfolio.

2Cor521
Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Have I told you I like the way you think, 2Cor. That is awesome...Bronze FIRE...what a great term.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote