Monday Milestones!

SecondCor521

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
OK, well I know it's not Monday, but I like alliteration!

I thought I would just announce that I have reached the milestone where my FIRE stash, defined as:

+ My FIRE assets
+ My kids' college assets
- Mortgage
- Other debt
- NPV of kids' college expenses
- NPV of remaining child support payments

is positive! Woohoo!

Now if my annual expenses were $175.42, I could retire! :D:D:D

2Cor521

Once you have hit that milestone the compounding really seems to kick into overdrive! CONGRATS on a POSITIVE NET WORTH!!!;)

Once you have hit that milestone the compounding really seems to kick into overdrive! CONGRATS on a POSITIVE NET WORTH!!!;)

Positive net worth? What's that?

In all seriousness, that's wonderful news! Embracing the milestones really keeps me going and reminds me that it all is moving in the right direction even if sometimes it seems like nothing is happening...

Connie,

Thanks! I actually have had a positive regular net worth for a while, but I calculate a "FIRE net worth" that just went positive a few days ago. The latter ignores my home equity and includes the NPV for some fairly large expenses.

2Cor521

Our Victory

Congratulations 2Cor!!!!!!!!!

DW wife and I had a big win last year too. Our NW surpassed our NW of 1995 when our first kid was born! Exciting stuff isn't it.

Congradulations

OK, well I know it's not Monday, but I like alliteration!

I thought I would just announce that I have reached the milestone where my FIRE stash, defined as:

+ My FIRE assets
+ My kids' college assets
- Mortgage
- Other debt
- NPV of kids' college expenses
- NPV of remaining child support payments

is positive! Woohoo!

Now if my annual expenses were $175.42, I could retire! :D:D:D

2Cor521
I wasn't in the negative at the time, but I remember when I first sought advice at this web site and ended up paying off my remaining mortgage and car payments. My net worth in the last three years has doubled and it does feel soooo good to know you are on your way. The increase savings causes increased gains causes increased clean air in one's life. Keep up the good work.

OK, another milestone to announce!

Y'all (I can say that, I was born in the South, unclemick and Want2Retire!) know about the 4% rule, right?

Well, if I retired today, I would be under...yes under a 200% withdrawal rate for the first time ever!

Woohoo!

2Cor521
who knows it's not Monday where I am, but it is Monday where the Queen is...

I had always hoped this thread would turn into a place where folks could celebrate their milestones, whatever they are...

At any rate, my withdrawal rate is now under 20% for the first time ever.

And my new retirement age is under 48 (47.60 to be precise) for the first time ever. I have 106 months to go to FI.

Due to negative CPI-P, I expect that number to continue to drop...

2Cor521

Congratulations! You're making great progress and before you know it, you will have reached your goals. :D

Congratulations! Impressive growth, especially given the tumultuous market conditions.

I was thinking it's been pretty quiet lately for NW milestones. Thanks for cheering us up!

Woo-hoo! Just calculated our portfolio return for the last 12 months. It's above 0%!!!

Woo-hoo! Just calculated our portfolio return for the last 12 months. It's above 0%!!!

Yay!! It could be worse with all this volatility!

Most of my nestegg is in my taxable account, which is up 1.6% since I last added to it on February 14th. That's a lot better than it could have been, so I'm happy.

SecondCor521’s Somewhat-Less-Lazy-O-Rama A0R 2.0 – March 4, 2008

It must have been your stash from the credit card applications that put you over the line;)

:D:D:D

Not really, though. The stash gets counted various ways but for my retirement calculations it gets counted both as an asset earning a short term interest rate and a liability to be repaid later. So it helps to the extent that I'm earning 4% on a small six figure sum.

2Cor521

P.S. -- I thought that was you over there.

At any rate, my withdrawal rate is now under 20% for the first time ever.

And my new retirement age is under 48 (47.60 to be precise) for the first time ever. I have 106 months to go to FI.

Due to negative CPI-P, I expect that number to continue to drop...

2Cor521

That's great!

Our NW hit a new milestone yesterday at $1.41 million :D

OK, I just passed another milestone: Bronze FIRE!

"What the heck is 'Bronze FIRE'?" you ask?

It started with me wanting to establish intermediate milestones on my path to FIRE. I decided that full retirement at the 4% rule would be the gold standard for my retirement, so that became "Gold FIRE". As of today I have 66 months to Gold FIRE.

"Silver FIRE" assumes 40 hours a week at a minimum wage job, which really just translates into "I can 'retire' from my high-paying job and just work at Starbucks". As of today I have 18 months to Silver FIRE.

"Bronze FIRE" assumes 40 hours a week at a minimum wage job plus income from modest AOR's (see the posts above referencing my credit card arbitrage). As of today I am at Bronze FIRE. After the minimum wage job and A0R income, I can live on a 2.13% withdrawal rate from my portfolio.

2Cor521

Odometer number today in actual net worth.

2Cor521

Withdrawal rate less than 100%. I know in post #9 above I wrote about being below 20%; I have changed my spreadsheet around several times since then so not really an apples-to-apples comparison.

Nominal FI is under age 45 also (44.94 at the moment).

2Cor521

Reactions: W2R
OK, now I am thoroughly confused. From the last post I figured you had a really old car -- the more ancient the better. Now your withdrawal/expenses must be through the roof??

"Odometer number" is what I call it when the net worth number rolls past $X00,000.00.

If I retired today, my withdrawal rate would be 99.89%. I'm waiting for it to drop to less than 4% before declaring myself FI.

2Cor521

Back
Top Bottom